Care training for reactive dogs

Deborah

Care training for reactive dogs

Post by Deborah » Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm

I've been researching into training Miko out of his aggression towards small dogs. I'd been walking him near other dogs and taken him on the parkrun which we both enjoy and he focuses on running. However, he still has tried to grab a number of dogs wearing his muzzle so I was advised to join a group on facebook called reactive dogs (UK). They advocate positive reinforcement in a program called CARE. http://careforreactivedogs.com/ Lots of the aspects in this program we use in rescue remedies when walking dogs, especially feeding treats when the dog is walking past. I've been advised by a behaviourist on the group to give Miko a rest-bite week, which means no walks, then gradually take him on calm walks. This sounds a bit mean but they explained it's only temporary and an important part of the training. I thought about it for quite a while and while I do love my runs with Miko I decided to give this program a go. There are nearly 10 thousand people on this group and trained professionals were recomending it. So this morning instead of a walk I chucked some chesse in the long grass, did some trick training and gave miko a nice long groom. Then he went back to bed. I hope this helps him and he doesn't miss his walkies too much. I've also contacted a local behaviourist but am yet to hear back from her.
Rescue animals are not damaged they have just experienced more in life. If they were human we would call them wise.

Julieh

Re: Care training for reactive dogs

Post by Julieh » Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Sounds like sensible advice .well done for going the extra mile to help Miko x

Return to “Behaviour & Training”