How to Stop a Dog Fight?

chillibean

How to Stop a Dog Fight?

Post by chillibean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:00 am

We often walk our young terrier Beanie with a pack of our friend's dogs, 2 border collies and 2 terriers, in secure fields. Yesterday, my hubby was scratching one of our friend's terriers behind the ears, Beanie took offence and sailed in with teeth flashing and lots of noise. The other terrier responded in kind and they had a bit of a spat. My hubby separated them and apart from lots of slobber, no damage was done.

But it did make me think how can you stop a dog fight?? I've read helpful advice like 'throw a bucket of water over them' but I doubt there's one handy when needed. So I wondered if any of you have knowledge or experience of how to stop a dog fight that you could share please?

sweetpea

Re: how to stop a dog fight?

Post by sweetpea » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 am

I would say. ..prevention is better than cure ....either muzzle them whilst offlead together or...dont put your dog in a situation that he feel he needs to have a go at another dog ....alot of dogs of all breeds get jealous when their humans make a fuss of another dog ....hopefully they will never have another spat ....

pits

Re: how to stop a dog fight?

Post by pits » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:12 pm

It may sound strange but a dog rescuer I spoke to a while back who works a lot with pitties recommended having a can of anything fizzy nearby (if a garden hose/sprayer isn't at hand), and shaking it up and opening it aimed to spray into the dogs' faces/nostrils. She said when most things don't work, that seems to help bewilder and distract them enough to get the dogs apart, the sound helping and the fizzing spray itself too. thumbs.gif There's a lot of articles online about it too, here's one promising looking one: http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

Return to “Behaviour & Training”