Excitement pee

Shen2

Excitement pee

Post by Shen2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:38 am

I Hi can anyone advise us on the best way to deal with excitement pee? Our gorgeous Dougie has started to do this when we arrive home from work. Only a little bit, but enough to have to put our clothes in the wash. He knows we go straight out for walks and a treat when either of us gets home. It's only been going on for approx 4 days and he was checked out by the vets with no concerns noted.
We are trying the pay no attention and be calm approach. Dougie then clambers up for a cuddle. Then a pee. At least he doesn't do it when we go to work!

Tim

Re: Excitement pee

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am

The very first dog we had used to do this when my wife and I would get in from work, she'd run back and fourth between us and they'd be a trail of pee....in time (we're talking a couple of months) her excitement levels decreased she gradually grew out of this, how long have you owned Dougie ?

Tim
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Shen2

Post by Shen2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 am

We rehomed Dougie 7th Jan and had a friend stay with him and our other dog Kichi between one of us going to work and the other coming back from work. All seemed fine so it's only the last few days that the dogs spend no more than 2 hours a day without us home. Dougie loves to chew cardboard for some reason too. Even though we have a stash of kong toys, it's the cardboard. We walk them 3 to 4 times a day. I told Dougie to keep sitting yesterday just as I got through the door and he hardly peed. So maybe that might be the way. Then my partner arrived home in the evening and didn't tell Dougie to do anything. So he ended up mopping the floor and the settee! Dougie tail spins so you can imagine. Tail spinning and peeing at the same time. I'm sure it's only a phase.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:47 pm

One of our dogs does this occasionally when we go out at night and don't take him. Since we know exactly what kind of event will trigger his peeing, we manage it now by greeting him outside by the front door. But we can only do this because we are 100% certain that he will not run off and get hurt, and our front door doesn't open right onto the street. He also doesn't spin! So that's out of the equation of concern for us. One of my Staffies also did this when she first came to us. She would pee in fear and also sometimes in overexcitement. Over a few months we were able to pinpoint the triggers and so we could work on helping her to feel safe and secure and also to dampen some overexcitement at the front door.

My advice would be to use training methods similar to those used for dogs that jump up a lot when greeting people at the door, in order to diffuse overexcitement. That way, Dougie will know exactly what to expect and exactly what to do. Use a ritual that you do every time you or your partner come home. All family members must adhere to the ritual or it won't work. It has to become ingrained so Dougie will eventually offer the behaviour by himself when you get home. The ritual can depend on the dog, but in Dougie's case, it sounds like sitting would be a good start. So try telling Dougie to sit. When he sits he gets a huge fuss and some cuddles. You can also incorporate a treat or a special action like giving him a valued toy to play with with you. Make sure you are part of the equation, since he highly values your attention. Deny your attention if he does not sit. Turn your back and ignore. Redirect after a couple seconds and ask him to sit again. Persevere. He will understand after a while and it will work. You can even make the ritual longer, adding desired behaviours bit by bit, if you want.

As for the cardboard, is he actually eating it? Or is he chewing it and spitting it out? Is he destroying stuff he shouldn't? I had a dog that loved cardboard toilet roll tubes. She never ate the cardboard, so we turned them into a cheap toy for her. We sometimes would put treats inside and seal up the ends. She loved it. Might this help with his love of cardboard?
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

bizlate

Post by bizlate » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Not exactly a solution so much as a way round it, but our ex-foster girl used to do this whenever we'd left her home alone... so when we came back in we would walk quickly straight past her - calling to her so she knew she wasn't being ignored - and go straight out of the back door so she'd follow us, then we'd stop to greet her outside (so a bit like Wander Woman's trick but with the security of the back garden!). A bit of a pain when it was raining but it did mean that her excitement wees all landed on the patio :D
I think she only had a little bladder and lost control when she was too giddy, bless her.
(She was an occasional tail spinner too but would stop for cuddles, so a cuddle in the back garden solved the lot!)

Shen2

Post by Shen2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 am

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. Dougie sometimes eats the things he chews. He pooped out a plastic dog poo bag yesterday morning. Nope. I couldn't believe it either! Even with more toys all over the place and on his blanket he's managed to find an appetite for paper, cloths, sponges and cardboard. He can really jump high too. We are searching for agility classes in North London. Urgently. He's like a mini tornado when he gets excited. Peeing getting a bit better with sit training. My other dog is not too impressed when sometimes he pees on her - we don't know what that's about!

Return to “Behaviour & Training”