Do all Staffies pull on the lead?

ukskicpl

Do all Staffies pull on the lead?

Post by ukskicpl » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 pm

:newhere.gif:

Hi everyone,

Would like to pick the brains of some Staffie owners. We are looking for a dog to join our family. My husband and I really like the breed and have done lots of research. I also 'borrow' a staffie and take her and her canine companion for a walk several times a week. My limited experience of Staffie's is that they do pull on the lead, we also walked another Staffie that pulled like a steam train and I found it put quite a strain on my wrist which became quite painful. What we wanted to know was, is this a charactistic of Staffie's? Can they be trained to not pull on the lead and walk to heel or with a slack lead? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

:thanks.gif:

Julieh

Re: Do all Staffies pull on the lead?

Post by Julieh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:12 am

Our little Trixey doesn't pull , she may pull a bit when we're on the way out of the door but that's all. Our other staffs we've had have at times ,but that's no different than other dogs. Staffies are in my opinion the best dogs in the world. I love all breeds, but these beautiful, misunderstood breed hold my heart.
Young bull breeds always seem to be in a hurry to see what's ahead , they live life to the max and can be headstrong, they are also loving,loyal and the most wonderful dogs. Once you let them into your heart you'll have a friend for life.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:46 am

Our neighbour has a staffie who walks beside him on a loose lead ....i have never seen such an obedient dog .....3 of my lurchers however wear gentle leaders as they pull like trains .......
Some rescue dogs of any breed have received little care or training so its what you are prepared to put in to ....Reading some of the threads on here some of the dogs pull intially and then calm down after a few minutes.......
Lovely to hear you want to rescue a staffie ....they are a wonderful breed ...... :nicethread.gif:

anne

Post by anne » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:42 am

I have walked hundreds of rescue Staffies and as with all dogs, they are all different. Some pull like steam trains, some trot along with a loose lead. All have had different experiences and exposure to lead walking. A lot of the dogs in kennels have pent up energy or high stress levels and do pull initially on a walk but calm down and then walk well on the lead. In a home they can be very different as they settle and relax and have more exercise and stimulation. You can also work with them and help them relax on walks by varying their walks, giving them plenty of stimulation on their walks and giving the time to walk at their pace, sometimes fast, sometimes ambling, stopping to sniff and observe. I have bad shoulders and have to be very careful walking the dogs ( I walk several different dogs each week) and I have used a walking belt for the last few years which makes walking even pully dogs very easy, leaving my hands free and taking any strain away from my arms and shoulders.
If you are thinking of adopting a rescue dog, RR match the dogs very carefully so just be very open and honest on the homing form.

ukskicpl

Post by ukskicpl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:05 pm

:thanks.gif:

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to those people who replied to my post on the forum, your comments have been really useful. Many thanks.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Simple answer - some do and some don't. Most of the dogs I used to walk as a volunteer did pull but I guess you would be keen to get out and about if you'd been in kennels for so long! But there were also some that didn't and we ended up adopting one of them. The first time I walked Alfie at the Gatwick kennels he trotted alongside me on a slack lead. I think it also helped that his trotting speed matched my brisk walking speed so I guess we were made for each other!

So to answer your question it's certainly not true that all staffies pull on the lead. And even if there are ones that are inclined to do so a little they are amazingly clever and ready to learn if you put the time in to train them.

Vikki

Post by Vikki » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:46 pm

My 2 year old staffy only pulls when something of extreme interest grabs her attention like a cat or horse or squirrel! Rest of the time she either trots along close to me or if she's on her extender she flits between running ahead and pottering behind sniffing every petal and blade of grass! My 4 year old large staffy cross could give a cart horse a run for it's money. He charges ahead and never looks back. Both happily wear gencon head collars when extra control is needed (in very busy places etc) and I can hold them both (50kg) with 2 fingers in their head collars.
If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be clean, my purse would be full but my heart would be empty

Return to “Behaviour & Training”