Coprophagy

Fred R

Coprophagy

Post by Fred R » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:48 am

While cats keep away from the garden during the day, it reverts to being a cat toilet during the night. Ruby's absolute favourite treat is - yes, you've guessed it - cat poop. Every morning she goes "treasure hunting" before I have a chance to remove it. I have googled Coprophagy but there seems to be no way to prevent it outside the home. I'll have to try and remove all the offending items before I let Ruby out in the mornings which is an almost impossible task since at this time of the year the garden is a bit of a jungle. What's to be done? Ban her from the garden altogether? Let her out only on a lead? Simply put up with it and risk any of the following? <<Cat droppings, under the right circumstances, may contain protozoans such as giardia and infectious eggs from roundworms, hookworms and occasionally whipworms.>> sign_omg.gif :please.gif:

Tim

Re: Coprophagy

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:40 am

Fred,
You could try getting some moth balls, crushing them down and scattering them around the garden where the cats go, it's non toxic to dogs and cats plus cats don't like the smell so hopefully they'll move on (to your neighbours winkwink.gif )

Tim
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:09 am

Tim wrote:You could try getting some moth balls
Thanks,Tim. Unfortunately mothballs containing naphthalene have been banned within the EU since 2008.
Not sure that the alternative on offer, Cedar wood balls, will work for cats.
In the past I have tried ultrasonic cat repellents, but cats seems to find a way around the beams.
Any other bright ideas, :please.gif:

chinquest

Post by chinquest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:33 pm

orange peel is a deterrent my Dad used to pop some on a border he didn't want the cat scratching up however it needs to be fresh to work so you could end up sick to death of oranges rather quickly

just remembered a gardener near here uses plastic bottles, makes for a strange looking garden but it keeps cats away apparently.
We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks, chinquest. The cats dig proper holes all over the place, an area of about 100 x 40 ft. Quite a bit is covered by ground elder at the moment, hence rather difficult for me to inspect, but obviously not difficult at all for Ruby. I think I'll just have to go on a tour of cat poo inspection before Madame is let out to do her business. :dog-75.gif: :crossfingers.gif:

Doglets

Post by Doglets » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Fred look up Silent Roar cat repellent - it is pellets made from real lion poo, and it does keep cats away! You can get it from Amazon. :goodluck.gif:

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Doglets - thanks for that. However, decided to order Get Off from Amazon instead which seems to have more positive customer reviews. :crossfingers.gif:

JenG

Post by JenG » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 pm

My mums dog used to watch the cat go to the loo and then bark to be let outside - guess where she headed - yep you guessed it!!! Yuk! Its quite common I hear!

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 am

Ruby is cleaning her territory...so if you can get an idea of regular areas you need to try and get there first. Shouldnt do her harm and anything you use you will find the cats avoid and go 2 feet away! Sadly part of dog ownership.

Fred R

Post by Fred R » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 am

It's all out war - industrial quantity of Get Off should arrive any day now. My Mexican Rain Drum brought rain overnight which kept the cats away but brought out the slugs - picked up and binned about two dozen. Madame looked a bit non-plussed: Wot, no cat poo? :smiley-signs002.gif: blob6.gif]

Return to “Behaviour & Training”