Dogs Growling....

sweetpea

Dogs Growling....

Post by sweetpea » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I feel so saddened when i read a dog has been returned for growling.... :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:
This is a dogs way of saying Hey im not happy or comfortable with this situation ..4 of my 6 will growl if either of us do something they are not comfortable with .....victor rescue lurcher been with us 6 yrs was 1 yr when he came he will growl if i try and detick him ....Tilly lurcher 7 yr been with us since she was 6 weeks ...will growl when being hand stripped , feet and legs touched ....Tom RR JRT X 3 yrs been with us 2 yrs nearly will growl when i take thorns from his coat when he has been in the bushes ...Sid 18 mths been with us 14mths will growl if touched whilst asleep and trimming his nails ...
My other 2 lurchers Jasper bedlington X saluki 3 yrs been with us 2 yrs and murphy a bull lurcher 5 1/2 yrs been with us 5 yrs have never ever growled ...
I would rather my dogs gave us a warning and growled rather than bite us.
So i just wish people would understand a growl is a dogs way of communicating. .... Kiss of love.gif

chillibean

Re: Dogs Growling....

Post by chillibean » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:15 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, 1 of my Patterdales never growled, whereas her brother growls when disturbed on the sofa and our latest addition (Parsons Russell rescue) growls if disturbed on sofa or in bed, when paws are touched, or if he's just feeling a bit crabby. I never tell them off for growling, dogs don't have that many ways to tell us when they are unhappy so why try to stop them communicating?? It is interesting (and sad) how many people think that if a dog growls it means it's aggressive and about to bite.

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:14 am

Very well said Sweetpea.

DorsetSarah

Post by DorsetSarah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 am

I know this thread was put up in 2014, but I'm interested to know what you do when your dogs growl. For example, if you need to de-tick them as you said, or cleaning their feet? Do you carry on doing what you need to do, such as touching their feet, or do you stop when they growl? They are saying they are not happy with what you are doing, but sometimes you still have to do it!
I ask because Precious hates it when I touch her feet, and not only growls but snarls and has gone to bite me twice, and once did bite me - not enough to break the skin but enough to flippin' well hurt. When she bit me, I said 'Ouch!' loudly, then turned away, folded my arms, stood still and counted silently to ten while ignoring her. I then turned back and asked her to sit. When she sat, I took her back into the house, praising her for sitting. But it means I am not cleaning her paws now, so she is bringing mud into the house! What would you do in this situation? Thanks! (She is only recently homed, so hopefully will relax and settle more as time passes.) But you say several of your dogs consistently growl at times, so I'm interested to know how you respond.

DorsetSarah

Post by DorsetSarah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am

Oh, put up in 2016, not 2014! Me being confused. I do hope someone replies. Thanks!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 am

Hi there ,
Tilly doesn't like her feet being touched and will growl at me ....i give her a small piece of sausage and then wipe a little bit praising her all the time and we have had her from a 6 week old pup ...she is touchy with her feet legs etc being touched ....with precious i would let her settle for a few weeks and then start touching her feet and giving her a treat ...as soon as you see she is uncomfortable with you touching her then stop ...i know it can be annoying them treading mud in but it is worth it in the end .... love4.gif

chillibean

Post by chillibean » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Hello DorsetSarah, I can understand why you feel unsure how to proceed - as you say, sometimes we have to do things that our dogs are not keen on! My youngest terrier is very reactive and we try not to wind him up too much - we leave him alone in his bed and don't disturb him when he's asleep on the sofa (I can be grouchy if prodded when I'm asleep too). However, we had to get him used to having his feet handled so we could clip his claws - there is no way that a groomer or vet would be able to do it without sedating him, which was not really a long term option. We started by teaching him 'right paw' and 'left paw' commands, rewarded of course with the ever useful cocktail sausage! Once he had learned to offer his front paws, I then started to hold them for a couple of seconds, gently but firmly and at the same time, he got more sausage (you knew that was coming!). We got him used to seeing the clippers as well and I would hold the clippers to his foot but not clip for a while. To clip his claws, my other half picks him up, gives the 'paw' command so he knows that I'll be touching his feet, then as I clip, he gets, yes you've guessed it, sausage. We can usually clip one paw at any one time before he gets fed up of it, he is not so worried about having his back feet touched which is quite common. It took about 2 months to go through the process. We find with Beano that it is all a negotiation, we never try to take him by surprise instead we take it stage by stage and make it very clear what is going to happen and how he will benefit from it. Precious hasn't been with you for long and as Sweetpea says, she may need longer to settle and learn to trust before she allows any intervention, with or without a reward for good behaviour. I suspect patience will get you there in the end, my hubbie bet me a tenner that I would never be able to clip Beano's claws, I so wish it had been £100 lol.gif ! Good luck and keep smiling, it'll be worth it. thumbs.gif

MrsP

Post by MrsP » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:19 pm

I have Peppermint who is Precious' former flatmate. I know quite a lot about their backgrounds and they rarely went out in their previous lives so paw cleaning would be something completely alien to them. Definitely respect the growl and introduce everything we take for-granted as "normal dog handling" with positive reinforcement as mentioned above. In the meantime get a Turtle mat or something similar that you can ask her to sit on and it'll soak up the mud.
My boy Tizer is a real grumble-guts about lots of things but we know him well enough to be able to jolly him along a bit, it's about getting to know your dog and their communication.

DorsetSarah

Post by DorsetSarah » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies! You're right, I'll let Precious settle for a while and then gently try again - with lots of treats. Getting her used to 'shaking hands' first is a good idea. She is gradually settling in. And yes, mud is annoying but it is only temporary and it is worth it. I put down lots of old towels on the floor and then stick them in the washing-machine. Her feet are still very sore from her skin condition, I think, so it's understandable she's protective of them.
It's very useful to know more about her background, MrsP. I'm so glad Peppermint has settled so well with you. Let's hope Blossom finds her new home soon too.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 am

I have been filling a watering can with warm water and either a splash of hibiscrub of coconut oil ...taking the sprinkler off i have been washing the dogs feet off ...it requires no actual contact with their feet and i too place towels down ...Not that it matters as i have quarry tiles and wood flooring throughout downstairs. ...its been working a treat and if they have licked up anything the hibiscrub helps .... :D

Return to “Behaviour & Training”