Home alone time

BMccare

Home alone time

Post by BMccare » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:09 am

I am hoping to adopt an adult Staffie, but my partner has had a change in his work circumstances so that the dog could be left up to 7 hours alone several days a week, as opposed to the four hours we thought it would be when deciding to get a dog. We could afford to get a dog walker some days but not every day a week, but could try to keep it entertained with kongs etc. Ultimately we want what's best for the dog. What's everyone's views on leaving a dog home alone, and how long do you think is ok to leave a staffie alone at home?
Thanks!

sweetpea

Re: Home alone time

Post by sweetpea » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Depends on the dog .......
We have a friend who has a lovely dog walker who pops in for 30 mins and only charges £5 ....the key is to tire a dog out before it is left longer ....mine all get over 1 hrs walk off lead every morning at 530am so i know they are worn out and im only gone 4 hrs max ....when you fill in your homing questionnaire be honest and the team will match the Right dog to you :welcome.gif:

MrsP

Post by MrsP » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Mine are left for 6 hours but they have each other, good tiring exercise first and a dog door into a secure garden (not that they use it, we've filmed them and they sleep most of the day). They then spend all their time with us after that, we don't both go out on work nights and they sleep in with us at night so 18 out of 24 hours is spent with at least one human. When we just had one dog and when Tizer first came & they had to be kept separate my hubby used to come home on an extended lunch and work later, lots of places are open to that apparently, my workplace is not!

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm

As Sweetpea says it depends on the dog. Tia is left for 7 hours now but that wouldn't have worked when she was younger and more energetic. She has got a dog flap so doesn't have to hold it in while I'm out and enjoys lazing in the sun when the weather is nice, but she understands the garden boundaries. She has toys and puzzles to keep her occupied both in the house and garden, though I'm pretty sure she sleeps most of the day (as she does when I'm here). A calmer, middle age/older dog might be more suitable.

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:48 pm

At the moment I'm out of the house for eight hours a day , I always have someone come in during the day to give them both a toilet break and make sure they're okay. Normally my mother in law is here as she lives with us, but she's away at the moment . I was really concerned when I knew they'd just be getting a loo break until I came home , but they are fine and sleep through the day. One is 14 and a half the other is 7 so not young dogs, I agree with the others that it depends on the dog, middle aged or older would probably be best , but the team at RR are brilliant and will match you with the right dog.
Good luck .

Return to “Behaviour & Training”