Help Needed Urgently Please - Hard Mouthing

Carli256

Help Needed Urgently Please - Hard Mouthing

Post by Carli256 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 am

Last week I adopted a Staffie cross breed from Cheshire Pets Home. She is approx 18mths old.

In all other aspects she is a lovely dog but we have experienced a few episodes where she has suddenly turned and started to ... I am loathe to use the word "attack" because if she had actually "attacked" us then we would have some serious bites, however when she has these "moments" she launches herself at us and bites - she hasn't broken the skin but it certainly hurts and we are concerned that she might actually do some serious harm the next time it happens. The first time it happened was when she became over excitable and she decided she wanted to grab the remote from my Dad's hand. She kept jumping up at him, trying to bite him and wouldn't stop. I absolutely expect that a young dog who hasn't been trained and is in a new environment to act up when they become over excitable. However last night it happened when she had been calm. She kept jumping up at the lounge door, so I sat in front of it to stop her and she started to try and bite me.

When I pushed her away to try and stop her she simply charged back at me and she became more determined. I am hesitant to say it became to game to her because she was so determined to try and grab/bite my arms and hands. It is almost impossible to stop her and its frightening. I managed to get her into her cage and I left her there for 10 mins until she had calmed down. I then brought her back into the Lounge, shut the door, sat in front of the door again and ignored her but she started again almost immediately and I really thought she was going to hurt me, it was quite frightening because she just would not stop trying to bite me.

I don't want to have to return her to the dogs home as I am sure it is just a training issue but I don't know what to do to stop her when she has these moments so unless I can find a way to control her behaviour I will have no choice but to return her which will break my heart.

So I am contacting you in the hope that you will be able to offer me some advice or even assistance to help her. Any help or advice you can offer will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

Tim

Re: Help needed urgently please

Post by Tim » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi,
I'm not a staffie expert but I know they're are several on here who might be able to give you some advice but for a first point of call - Have you tried going back to Cheshire Pets Home and asking them? They might have some history on the dog, whether she showed the signs you mentioned whilst in the kennels etc ?

Good luck.
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Carli256

Post by Carli256 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Tim

Thank you for your post. I called Cheshire Dog's Home this morning and at first they simply told me to return the dog!!, I explained that I would like to try and avoid that and asked again if they had any advice. They have put me in touch with a local dog behaviourist so I am waiting to hear back from them. I really hope they can help me as I really don't want to have to take her back.

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Well done for giving this little one a loving home.
staffies are the most loving, loyal dogs in the world( I'm biased I know as I have had them for many years) they are also very aware of how we are feeling and can get very very excitable! It's probably shaken your nerves a bit seeing your beautiful dog behave like this , but this can be overcome I promise. The most important thing is to keep her calm , diffuse any attempts to play at this stage. That can come later when you're comfortable with each other and she knows her place in the pack. If she ever tries to jump up at you , turn your back on her and give no contact whatsoever. And make sure everyone who meets her is the same, only give attention at this stage when she is calm.
Is she having plenty of excercise ? As this will really help her, as will a filled Kong to keep her occupied,
When my male staffie became about one , he would behave like this if someone new came in the house especially if he sensed they were nervous. I would then make sure he was away if we had visitors until he had become calm.
It may also be worth speaking to a behaviourist who can help you and give you tips. Be calm and consistent and you will get there. Good luck, the rewards will be worth it.

Julieh

Post by Julieh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

One more thing, you're right when you say pushing her away was like a game, that is how she will see it. If she ever catches you give a high Yelp to let her know she has hurt you and try at all costs to avoid pushing her away , turn away and leave the room if you have to, remember no attention until she's calm. Sounds like you already love her,as I'm sure she does you, she just doesn't know what's expected of her yet, but she will.

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:32 am

Hi Jo
If you can pm me your number and a convenient time to call I will give you a ring.
Marie
Doin' it for the staffies ...

montyjack2

Post by montyjack2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

please dont be frightened, that is typical teenage Bullie behaviour, hard mouthing and intimidation, you just have to get the measure of her and be firm. pm Staffylevi for expert advice, it can be sorted. good luck x

Carli256

Post by Carli256 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Thank you all so much for your advice. The dog behaviourist is coming on Monday night so I am really hopeful that she will be able to provide us with all the help we need (fingers crossed).

Thanks again.

Captainbeaky

Post by Captainbeaky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:10 am

The advice here does work.
when the dog does something wrong, a Yelp, a stern "NO" or "Bad Dog", and turn your back.
Also, don't react to the dog when it's hyper - only react when it's calm and behaving properly.
The strongest message you can give a dog is to ignore it.

It does work, but it takes a little time.
Our little Tazz took about 6 months to calm down.
The problem is that we like to give attention to our dogs, but we need to do it only when the dog is in the right frame of mind.

Our Tazz hadn't really been given boundaries- and it takes time to set them up with an older dog ( as opposed to a puppy .

Also, i reckon that Staffies do need to excercise their jaws and teeth - ours is definitely less "mouthy" and calmer when he's been chewing at something. I use the knotted cotton rope toys - they seem to last well.

Return to “Behaviour & Training”