Chewing problem

John

Chewing problem

Post by John » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:04 pm

Need some advice please. I have been fostering same dog for approx 12 weeks with two breaks in between (each of two weeks). The first stay was ok but lately a chewing problem is occurring.
I live on my own and have to leave her from time to time for couple of hours whilst out. I live in a bungalow and she has run of rooms. When she realises I'm going out and she's not, she nips onto my bed and watches me jump in the car and go. Lately I have been returning to find things ripped up or chewed up, mostly bedroom based.
I don't get too precious about it and I won't detail all the damage but came home today to find the duvet badly ripped and the dog covered in down! She looked quite cute but on a serious note it's really annoying and I don't want to dread leaving her alone worrying about what I might find when I come home. Have thought about closing bedroom door but then would my lounge sofa be vulnerable?
She has toys to play with.
Any advice please.

Julieh

Re: Chewing problem

Post by Julieh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Perhaps leaving her for only a few minutes then returning and give lots of praise when you get back. Build up the time slowly ,and hopefully she will soon realise that you're coming back and that she will get lots of positive praise/ treat when you return.
You could also try a crate, again build up the time in there , always leaving the door open at first while you're there. Dogs often find these quite a safe place to be and when used correctly are often a blessing with troubled dogs that need extra support.
Good luck

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Julieh for reply. Food for thought.

anne

Post by anne » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Have you tried leaving her with a filled kong (you can freeze it so it takes a long time to lick out) or treat balls to play with? Does she spend time on her own away from you when you are at home? If not then try building up time when she knows you are in the house but she is separated (stair gate or crate) so she gets used to her own company in the house. Sometimes they become too attached and if they are with you all the time while you are at home the separation when you go out becomes a problem and turns into anxiety.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks Anne. Good point about separation times. She is around me pretty much all the time when I'm home. Will give it a go.

Return to “Behaviour & Training”