Barking Annoying the Neighbour Below

cobden28

Barking Annoying the Neighbour Below

Post by cobden28 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Help - I need advice, and fast!

As you know, I adopted Cherub the toothless Pom at the beginning of the year and she's settled in fine. I live in a first-floor flat with its own private garden (wouldn't have bought this flat if it didn't have its own private garden) - my morning routine with Cherub and Aristotle is to take them out at 6.30 am for a toilet visit then straight back indoors for breakfast. If I leave the morning toilet visit any later it's highly likely Cherub will have wee'd in her crate - it's never Ari, always Cherub - but thanks to using Vetbed it's no problem to wash and dry any bedding.

This morning I found a note through my letterbox from my downstairs neighbour, complaining about my barking dogs at 6.30 am because he works shifts so obviously finds a barking dog at that hour to be extremely annoying. I would too, if I were in his position.

It's only ever Cherub who barks when she's let out for her morning wee and as soon as both dogs have done what they were taken out for I bring them straight back indoors. After breakfast for all three of us and my getting dressed, it's time for morning walkies. After that both dogs are content to snooze away happily and quietly while I do other things, until the next toilet visit or walkies.

It came as a complete shock to me to learn that my dogs are being an annoyance to my downstairs neighbour, so I'd appreciate any advice as to how best to tackle the problem. Obviously I don't deliberately let Cherub bark to annoy the neighbours and I do bring them inside again as soon as possible - and I am anxious to be on good terms with my neighbours.

Is it reasonable for me, do you think, to ask my neighbour for some information as to his shift patterns so that on the mornings when he's going to be sleeping in I can be extra-careful about Cherub barking when let out?

Obviously as soon as I notice Cherub has damp bedding it goes straight in the wash and clean dry bedding goes in her crate.

sweetpea

Re: Annoying the neighbour below.

Post by sweetpea » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Unless your dogs are barking for hours on end i would ignore this person ...our neighbours dog barks for up to 4 hrs with hardly a breath .....sometimes at 2am in the morning ....i would just make sure you let cherub in as soon as she has peed :smiley-gen132.gif:
Keep any notes this person has put through your door ...any decent person would have knocked the door and spoken to you :biggrin.gif:

cobden28

Post by cobden28 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 pm

And had the neighbour knocked the door, Cherub would certainly have warned me! Unless I happened to be out on morning walkies at the time, that is.

Polpat

Post by Polpat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:22 pm

I think I would knock on this persons door and ask if you can discuss what could be done to resolve the problem. I would want to resolve a potential problem with a neighbour not wait to let it escalate into something bigger.
Maybe you could gradually let your dogs out later building up to it by a few minutes a day? I am sure they will appreciate you making the effort to resolve things rather than leaving it to fester and create bad feelings all round? Perhaps they would prefer the dogs to be out earlier and it may suit you that way? If you ask their work patterns you are showing a real desire to be amenable and arrive at a compromise which puts you in a good light.
None of my neighbours have dogs and I frequently say to them that they must tell me if my dogs barking when they go out causes annoyance to them. They are all very accommodating and say it is fine but I think they appreciate the fact that I have said it.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 pm

:iagree.gif:

Return to “Behaviour & Training”