Chewing when left alone

zoep56

Chewing when left alone

Post by zoep56 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Hello, I'm looking for some help please!
I have moved house and my dogs (who previously had someone with them most of the time) are now alone when I am at work. I gradually introduced my boys to their new routine and they have a dog walker come every day. For the first couple of weeks everything was fine, but Teddy has now started chewing things. He has been known to do this sometimes, so I have been careful to put things away. However, he has now started chewing things such as the sofa cushions and the carpet. I make sure that they have plenty of toys, and I mix these up to try and keep them amused. I have to be careful what I leave treat wise as my other dog, Dunno, is on a strict diet. Teddy is very attached to me, and when I am home he doesn't really leave my side. I don't want them to be stressed or upset while I am gone, so if anyone has advice or ideas of what I can do I would be very grateful!
Thank you, Zoe

Stevie'sMum

Re: Chewing when left alone

Post by Stevie'sMum » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:56 am

Hi! To give him comfort while you are out, you could try leaving something in his bed that really smells of you. A recently worn jumper or pyjamas might encourage him to snuggle up to it and calm him. Nothing too precious in case he decides to rip it up too! You could try this on a day off and leave him for only 5-10 minutes and if he hasn't destroyed anything he gets lots of praise and a treat. That way he is being rewarded for displaying the behaviour you want. If he has destroyed stuff ignore him and turn away from him when he wants your attention. Doing this when you are off means that you can gradually extend the time you are away.

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:08 am

Hi Zoe
I know this may sound harsh but when you're home you need to start putting some space between you and Teddy. For example; if you go upstairs make him stay downstairs, if he follows send him down; same if you go into another room. I'm not saying he can't be with you ever like sitting on your lap while you're watching tv - he can but you need to start putting these boundaries in place now and claiming your space this will help Teddy respect your time out and help him realise he doesn't have to be with you 24-7. Take note of Stevie's Mum's advice too in conjunction with the above and hopefully you can nip this behaviour in the bud to avoid Teddy going into full blown separation anxiety as this will not make for a happy dog or a happy owner!! Good Luck!! :)
Doin' it for the staffies ...

zoep56

Post by zoep56 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Thank you both for your help.

We have been trying everything you mentioned, including me and Teddy having a bit of time apart. We are getting there slowly. I know we will get there in the end! :thanks.gif:

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 am

Slow 'n' Steady wins the race!!! Keep up the good work Zoe... :D
Doin' it for the staffies ...

Return to “Behaviour & Training”