Fireworks Advice Please

MrsP

Re: Fireworks Advice Please

Post by MrsP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Yeah it's Diwali so its fireworks aplenty where we are. Pepp has her thundershirt on and I've been doing some "ear and mouth work" after buying a book about firework fear by Toni Shelbourne the T Touch lady. It's going ok, Pepp has gone and sat on the dog bed now and last night she relaxed a little bit. HUGE improvement from the panting, shaking mess that would either do the wall of death in the lounge or scratch me to death in her efforts to get inside my clothes!
I'm gonna read the whole book (it's only thin) as I've just pulled out some highlights and run with it as I forgot about Diwali until Tuesday (which is pretty bad as my sister-in-law is a Hindu)!

mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Just a quick update on Chyna and her firework anxiety - yesterday evening and tonight I have used the Sileo on her and I am surprised to say yes it has worked. I have only given it to her once each evening (you can re-administer it a few times if needed), I don`t really like using drugs if not needed so I waited until the first start of the bangs and then gave her one dose, it seems to work pretty quick and has just made her very chilled and relaxed. One dose has been enough for her. Last night she went off and slept in her bed but tonight she has been cuddled up to Mike for a while and now me. I was worried there would be some after effects but she has been her normal self today. I am hoping there will only be two more times that I need to use it, tomorrow night maybe (the real bonfire night) and maybe New Years Eve when they start going off around 10 o`clock not just midnight!
Obviously I would prefer not to use it but it has kept her chilled and seems to have no ill effects. Thank you Polpat for recommending it.

Debbie(tarakisha)

Post by Debbie(tarakisha) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 am

We gave Rosie another dose of Sileo this evening and she slept throughout the fireworks, so although I prefer the natural approach normally, I definitely recommend trying it thumbs.gif

pits

Post by pits » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:05 pm

For what its worth I found this:

"Simply place the center of the scarf across the dog’s chest and cross the ends over the shoulders. Next, cross those ends beneath the chest and bring back up, tying in a secure knot away from the spine.

The scarf should be snug, but not constricting. Like the ThunderShirt, the slight pressure around the body (like a constant hug!) is supposed to deliver a calming effect, or at least take the nervous edge off. This DIY option is on hand in a pinch, and could very possibly save your pup from unnecessary discomfort."
efe316e4ef16e64a0c7857276325c2f4--organize-elsa.jpg

Arkaye

Post by Arkaye » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Dear All,

Thanks for your concern about Basil: he's much more in control of himself now, so didn't evacuate at inopportune times at all. He hated the pops and bangs of the fireworks (we also cursed them - they seemed to go on for night after night and still seem to go on even now). However, he is now calm and has adjusted his rhythms to ours.

Celebrating one year with Basil!

R

Arkaye

Post by Arkaye » Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Dear All,

I't's a stormy night - so I'm reminded of Basil. Why so? Just to remind you, Basil is housed over two sites and adopted by four people jointly, since November 2016. Since then, Basil has become bilingual and understands both English and Polish commands. He is very well behaved (except when he snarled at a Guide dog for no reason) and we are now planning to take him to Poland for the second time (in case anybody cares, Germany treats all 'pitbulls' as the same CLASS and - if that wasn't idiotic enough - any hint of cross-BREEDING will likely harm your case as to the safety of your dog. Rescue Remedies and our own kind vets have classified Basil as a pure Staffie, so he can at least cross the borders of Germany. If he was a cross, then no. He's then a pitbull cross). I have become somewhat of an authority on the idiocies of German customs.

Basil is staying with my mother, as is usual: we had him on a sleepover a few nights ago, and I am looking forward to seeing him again soon. He is such a good dog, and he is a very good companion to my mother, which is the main thing. When I am with him, I talk to him all the time. He's got a recognised vocabulary of 30 words, albeit over two languages. He knows which door to go to, he knows left from right, he knows to wait in place; he's a great dog. He's a good dog.

Such alternative Rescue Remedies methods as yours can work, and I'm happy to report we're all packing off to Cornwall for a week. All four owners, Basil, and the hamster (to which Basil displays no aggression). We have a favoured vet, who also writes our verifications for travel accross awkward countries. Our good times are now, Basil!

Thanks and kindest regards to all of you who support us and pray for us.

Arkaye

Return to “Behaviour & Training”