Pet Insurance Info & Recommendations

Wander Woman

Pet Insurance Info & Recommendations

Post by Wander Woman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 am

I am looking for pet insurance recommendations as, although I have had a number of family dogs, I have never bought pet insurance. I know there are pros and cons to buying pet insurance in the first place, but what do the members here think are the most important things to consider when purchasing insurance? Lifetime coverage? The excess amount? :smiley-signs002.gif: Insurance companies don't make it easy on us to even compare coverage!

Just want to add that I am a Dogs Trust member, and through that membership my dogs are liability/third-party covered. I wouldn't be without this particular perk; only £20 per year covers all your owned dogs.
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

sweetpea

Re: PET INSURANCE INFO & RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by sweetpea » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am

I use petplan essentials ...only covers each condition for a year excess is £75.....it averages from my eldest lurcher 7 yrs £18 per mth ...this is after a broken hock claim 3 yrs ago to our youngest JRT 9 mths at £13.85 per mth.
I think lifetime cover is alot of money and if my dogs had a condition that needed alot of medications i would be questioning quality of life ...
Petplan pays my vets direct so i only ever have to find max £96 ...thats £75 excess and £21 admin fee .
They have always paid up even Toms umbilical hernia op that most other companies would say was a pre existing condition.as he was most probably born with it :smiley-gen132.gif:

Polpat

Post by Polpat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Petplan - I have 3 dogs and its costs around £85-£90 per month for lifetime cover. My premiums have changed very little in over 10 years but the excess goes up as the dog gets older, but not the premium. They have covered teeth scaling on one of my dogs too. They pay directly, very quickly - direct to vet - and have never quibbled. We made numerous large claims for my JRT particularly as he got older and developped pancreatitis and it did not affect the premiums unlike some companies who hike up the premiums. Having lifetime cover is essential for me and policies that only cover a condition for a year are worthless.

Fran

Post by Fran » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:23 pm

It is so important to choose wisely. I looked at Which magazine and decided after reading everything that life time cover is better. Two companies came out best and one was Petplan but I decided to go for the other M & S. I wished I had gone with Petplan now as M & S changed insurance companies and the policy changed and they charge me such a lot of money for both my dogs. I am planning to move one of my dogs over to Petplan but my other one which I have made a claim and is on going I cannot move as no other insurance company would cover that problem. Good luck

In fact I have just done a quote on Petplan for £7,000 per year (same as M & S) comes out £29 cheaper per month! So thank you for prompting me to change over for one of my dogs who I have never made a claim!

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for your info and input so far, everyone! £7,000 per year!! :shock: That's steep! I have heard good things about Petplan as far as paying out and dealing directly with vets. I know some people say they do tend to be more expensive than other companies though. I had heard good things about Animal Friends in the past too, but I don't know whether people would still recommend them. Must do my research and choose wisely.
:thanks.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Fran

Post by Fran » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Sorry I did not make myself clear the £7,000 is the amount the insurance will pay out in a year. You can get a lower cover say £3,000 per year payout.

Dunmallard

Post by Dunmallard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:55 am

Our experience relates to just one dog/policy so we do not know a lot about it. Tesco Pet Insurance taken out when our dog took us on, aged about 8 or 9 and we kept this on annually till he died this year aged 16. The premium started at about £15 pm when he was fit and ended up at about £115pm, by when when he had various health problems. Might sound high but pretty sure Tesco lost heavily on it. Our vets offered to attend to the claims admin and Tesco always paid up, without hassle. Claims made for things like Colitis, Thyroid Cancer, Pancreatitis, Arthritis. When another dog takes us on, points for us to consider will include:
a) Tesco comes with an emergency phone number, giving access to qualified advice - useful for eg holidays/own vet not available. Not know if other insurers do this.
b) Our Tesco policy, near the end of it added euthanising costs to the cover - not know how widespread this cover is.
c) Starting the cover asap perhaps helps to avoid exclusion for conditions that arise and become pre-existing, if taking out the policy is delayed
d) Will prefer to always go for lifetime cover from the outset - would hate to be in the position of cover being denied on renewal
e) Easy to say when you can afford it, but I really don't think the actual premium is the main thing when comparing insurance policies. Take the time to fully examine the T & C's, including the exclusions. If you can afford it, look ahead, knowing your dog will age and likely suffer from something and get the policy and cover level that gives your dog the best chance of being fully treated through its life and so help avoid having to make agonising decisions because of financial constraints.
f) I read about a pet insurance plan that insisted on taking premiums, after the dog died and until the end of the renewal year - something to check on.
g) It occurs, if taking on an older dog, to make sure you have, as far possible the medical history, before adopting. A good idea anyway and so you, and the insurers know what you are letting yourselves in for and what may not be covered. Further it might also be good, with the benefit of having the history, to get an approximate ''quote'' from the insurer, in advance of adopting.
h) I have never liked the idea of regularly changing insurers for minor savings in premium, although I have no evidence that is a bad procedure. I can't help but think if you stay with an insurer, it might help to build up a sort of goodwill.

xLouLoux

Post by xLouLoux » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Animal friends were on Watchdog recently for less than ethical practices that had left some pet owners very upset and some pets suffering, I would steer clear if I were you.

This website is very helpful

http://www.petinsurancecompare.co.uk/

We went with PetPlan for Jaxx. Because of his age they could only offer us essential cover at about £20 a month but we like having the reassurance that they have a good reputation for paying out if and when we need it.

Return to “Insurance”