Akita feeding article

Deborah

Akita feeding article

Post by Deborah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 am

http://www.akita-dog.com/site/b11c6734c ... .html#3078

What do you think about this article? I think a lot of it is applicable to all large breeds, esspesally bloat. It seems that akita inus are the most sensitive breed. Miko as an American and Hardy staffie cross would probably be at lower risk. Allthough i know some staffies get allergies, miko doesn't. He currently has kibble put down in the morning which he chosses to eat slowly throughout the day and usually some evening treats and leftovers, the occasional bit of wet food. He also doesn't gobble his food. I've not heard of the fast day once a week. Not sure miko would be all that pleased with just raw vegetables for one day. Does anyone do this or know if it is actually beneficial to their health? Mikos has got a vet check up next month any so I'll ask then.
Rescue animals are not damaged they have just experienced more in life. If they were human we would call them wise.

sweetpea

Re: Akita feeding article

Post by sweetpea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 am

I couldnt find the page ..it came up not found ....
My dogs have a raw diet half for breakfast and half at teatime ...they have a bonio for anal glands once a day ...they have grated fruit and veg added to their daily meals along with goats yoghurt ...i also make fibre balls for them which they have daily ...minced beef , rolled oats ,grated carrot ,apple,cauliflower, broccoli, and goats yoghurt all mixed in rolled into small balls ...i freeze a weeks batch and get them out daily ...
I have never fed my lurchers from the floor they have raised stands for their bowls due to having a deep chest the risk of bloat is higher ...i know alot of large breed owners feed their dogs from raised feeders ....
Our vets arent fans of the raw diet because of bones getting stuck but the meat we get has the bone included ground up so they dont have raw bones as such ....
Lovely to have a miko update :thanks.gif:

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:07 pm

The link was broken for me too. smiley-sad041.gif

Mine are mostly fed raw minces (including a spoonful of blitzed veg) from a local provider. They also get a high quality kibble (Lukullus) as training treats. It's treats to them, anyway! 0002.gif] For an after dinner chew, to keep their teeth clean, they get pure dried tripe. It stinks, but they love it!

I have been confused about raised bowls for a while. I've read conflicting stories on which is best to prevent bloat - raised bowls or on the floor. :smiley-confused005.gif: I have a Lurcher, but he's a small Whippet-sized one at 16 kg. I feed both my dogs (my Staffie cross is about 19 kg) off the floor.
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Strange - it works for me. Its a long and detailed article. Goes into different types of diet pros and cons... Here is the bit I was talking about. 'This is a big concern for owners. While it may be more convenient to feed one large meal per day, eating such a large amount in one sitting can cause bloat, a serious health issue that can have devastating consequences. When an Akita is made to wait 24 hours in-between meals, this can bring on intense hunger, which leads to unabashed gobbling, ingesting air and swallowing without chewing.

Best, is to feed 2 times per day. This is already necessary for puppies and for seniors, so it is easy to stay with this routine. Even with 2 meals per day, this massive dog can eat quite a bit… and for this reason, we do highly recommend special bowls that will slow him down to consume at a reasonable rate, this is best for proper digestion and again, will greatly help to prevent bloat.

Fasting

Akita owners have most likely learned that many recommend fasting for this breed. The reason for this method is:

It allows the body’s to rest. During the time of the fasting, small amounts of fruits and vegetables are fed and this allows the body to be cleansed.

This should be done 1 day per week. The day should be chosen and it should remain the same day each week, for example: Mondays

Puppies should not be fed this way. From 8 weeks to 6 months of age, they should be given 1 light meal on “fast day”. From 6 months on, they can then be on the same feeding schedule as an adult.

What to Feed during the fast : On this particular one day of each week, you will want to offer:

Fruit – cubes of apple (NO seeds, NO skin, NO core) and/or blueberries
Vegetables – raw baby carrots and/or sweet peas

Note: If your Akita is on a prescribed medication that is to be taken with food, do feed them their regular meal (or at least a smaller portion of it).

Always: Always supply the same amount of free, clean water'

Thanks the website generally recommends a simular diet. I've thought about raw, never tried it but miko turns his nose up to anything raw. Thought I'd buy him a special treat of tripe a while back but he wouldn't touch it, raw or cooked. And yes, it does stink. I never bought it again. 0002.gif]

I've actually read arguments both sides for a raised and floor height bowl. I feed miko at floor height. They can't swallow as quick from the floor so may actually be better... I'll see what my vet says. However our family lurcher moved onto raised bowls when he got arthritis so that would be a reason. But, miko doesn't gobble.
Rescue animals are not damaged they have just experienced more in life. If they were human we would call them wise.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 am

I just went to http://www.akita-dog.com and looked at the Bloat and Food (the link on the Bloat page) pages and the info you posted was there. I largely agree with what they've written. The one exception is where they say "...small amounts of fruits and vegetables are fed and this allows the body to be cleansed." Nah - the liver and kidneys do this for dog an human bodies alike. If they mean that some fibre in the diet is good for the gut and colon, then yes, I would agree - and as above, I feed my dogs small amounts of fruit and veg too.

I had an Akita while I was growing up. She was an absolutely wonderful dog. I don't know whether it was just her personality or a breed trait, but she was a delicate eater and didn't eat quickly or even that much. So we never really worried about her. She lived to a ripe old age.

I agree that large meals and eating too quickly can cause problems. I have always fed two smaller meals to my dogs each day. If they only ate once a day I would have a mutiny on my hands! They love their food. Ben can bring all his food right back up again if his meal is too big, so we stick to small meals and snacks. He has a run/ball game before dinner but we try to wait for a bit until feeding, so that it doesn't cause any problems.
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks wander woman. Our rescue lurcher growing up would not have coped with 1 meal, he was food obessesed and a skilled theif. Stole a hot sausage straight off the bbq once and consumed an entire Victoria sponge, cooling on the side in seconds. Fortunately he wasn't smart enough to open the fridge. We soon learnt to safe place for food to cool in the kitchen was the back of the hobs as when he jumped up the knobs clicked and scared him away. Miko on the other hand, loves his food but doesn't steal even if we leave the room for a couple of minutes, unless we really aren't paying attention. I have found that kibble of works well for training miko as it's not too tasty. He gets fraustrated, bored and gives up if he is too excited by the treats. I joined an akita Facebook page and they are often calm and only difficult to train because they are smart... Unlike our lurcher.

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am

I agree that detoxing is pretty psydoscience, providing fresh water or a saline drip is the best way to detoxify (I work as a radiographer and after giving contrast which is bad for kidneys we recommend plenty of fluid or the doctors give iv fluids after to clean out kidneys). Allthough raw vegetables contain lots of water so I don't think it's wrong information just badly worded. Do you think dogs are fine for a day a week with just clean water? Just unhappy, maybe miko would eat raw veg if he had nothing else... Might try it, if the weather is warm enough he might not protest... I'd definitely check with a vet first.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

With regard to fasting, I think it depends on the dog. Its age and state of health will matter. I don't think I'd fast a puppy or an infirm dog.

My own dogs just wouldn't understand why they weren't getting fed - it would feel cruel to me to fast them when food is such an important part of their day and contributes to their feelings of well-being. I do know that some people fast their dogs and also sometimes give large 'feast meals'. These practices happen mostly in the raw feeding community, I think. I don't personally see how either is a huge benefit for a domesticated dog, but maybe some dogs are better off being fed that way.

Regular meals and healthy snacks work for us. But I know all dogs are not the same and might do fine or even better on a different feeding schedule. Good luck!

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:00 am

Thanks, miko loves his food but does seem to prefer to graze on his breakfast kibble throughout the day, and as a domesticated adult dog, I might stick stick to his current routine. He choses to eat 'meals' after walks. Might try raw feeding in the future with a different dog.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 am

A friend years ago used to fast one day his bull breeds. ..personally i dont see the benefits with a domesticated dog in the wild they eat when they can catch prey ....
Mine are fed after their morning walk and teatime walk ....i have been raw feeding mine for 10 years now all mine thrive on it ...i have only one dog that has to have a mainly kibble diet due to him being constantly hungry and putting weight on....
Diet for dogs is very personal and its what works for you and your dog love4.gif

Return to “Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes”