Vegan dog food

Shen2

Vegan dog food

Post by Shen2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:09 am

I would like to offer brief information on feeding your dog a vegan diet. A fantastic place to begin with and get helpful support is veggiepets.com You can ask for advice and buy dog food, treats and supplements. The supplements I use are vegedog powder, the Missing Link Joint Health formula, Prozyme enzyme food supplement for cats and dogs, cranberry tablets and Plaque Off. I also add cold pressed coconut and olive oil and Engivita yeast flakes. I tend to cook my dogs vegan food for 4 days a week and give kibble for 3 days for variety. But if you want a good dog food brand, I highly recommend Benevo. Vegedog powder is only to be used in home made food.
The easiest homemade dog food I can suggest is if you buy a packet of each of brown rice, quinoa, green lentils, French lentils, red lentils and mix them in a food tub. You take out how much you require and soak for 20 mins before rinsing, bringing to the boil, then simmer for 20 mins. I will always add a small handful of veggies that are not toxic to dogs like broccoli, carrots or sweet potato. At the end of cooking I will throw in 2 cans of beans. A big pot of this can be made and frozen into portions. Once defrosted add the supplements according to your dogs weight. There are many varied recipes out there, but I prefer my recipe as it is very nutritious and very easy to make.

pits

Re: VEGAN dog food

Post by pits » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the tips! On this topic, a homemade vegan treat/chew for dogs that I've seen but not tried yet is sweet potato chews, there's a how to tutorial on this page: http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/how-to-m ... -chew.html

There's several other homemade vegan dog treat recipes on this page too :D http://veganfoodlover.com/7-homemade-vegan-dog-treats/

DorsetSarah

Post by DorsetSarah » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:46 pm

How great to see other people feeding their dogs vegan dog food! I have been using Benevo for over a year now, and my 2 Staffies love it! I also give them Rumble Strips dog treats, as well as apple, cabbage, carrot, banana etc. It's great to hear about other people's experiences. Thanks!

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Shen2, pits and DorsetSarah,

Why do you feed your dogs a vegan diet?

Dogs are scientifically ordered as carnivores in the animal kingdom, not herbivores/vegans. While it is true that modern, domesticated dogs are scavengers and many live on a more omnivorous diet today than their wolf ancestors did, you can see the way dogs have evolved to eat meat in their physiology. Their teeth and their digestive systems all point to an animal that has evolved to get its nutritional requirements primarily from meat. Here is an article that describes the science behind this: http://www.whyanimalsdothething.com/pos ... n-pet-food

I’m not writing this comment to be a cyber-bully. I’m writing it because I sincerely disagree with feeding dogs a pure vegan diet and I think it’s very important to present an opposing view here. I believe that a vegan diet does not provide the dog with the nutrients necessary for it to thrive. A dog can probably survive, because one can supplement its diet with the necessary vitamins, but why do that? Why not just feed a dog a species/biologically-appropriate diet as much as one is able?

Here’s another perspective, written by vets. They are even rethinking their previous position that dogs are more omnivorous than carnivorous:
http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... earch-says

Here’s another point of view from a holistic vet:
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/is ... -omnivore/

The science that says a dog has evolved to derive at least some of its balanced diet from meat-based protein is very compelling. A range of scientists seem to agree on this.

I understand that it may be difficult for some vegetarians and vegans to feed their dogs a biologically appropriate diet. I was a vegetarian for much of my adult life. I am still squeamish about some of the food I feed my dogs. But I want them to have the best life they can nutritionally, as well as mentally and physically. I do not want to impose my own ethics on an animal that has not evolved to eat the diet I myself can do well on – because human have evolved to be omnivorous, not carnivorous. Our dogs have no choice in what we feed them. They get what they’re given. That’s a part of the ethics of feeding a species/biologically appropriate diet for me too. I don’t want to deny them the opportunity to eat the type of foods they have evolved to eat.

There’s no denying that everyone on this forum loves their dogs. At least I hope that’s the case! And there’s no denying that dogs like a veggie snack – mine are carrot and pea lovers! But I think there is also no denying the science behind an appropriate canine diet. And that science says that meat should be at least part of a dog’s healthy diet.
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:29 pm

DorsetSarah wrote:How great to see other people feeding their dogs vegan dog food! I have been using Benevo for over a year now, and my 2 Staffies love it! I also give them Rumble Strips dog treats, as well as apple, cabbage, carrot, banana etc. It's great to hear about other people's experiences. Thanks!
My dogs love apple but make sure all the pips are removed as they are toxic and contain cynanide....

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:34 pm

I am a vegetarian and feed my dogs raw meat ....they get a varied diet too with oats, veggies etc....i have read varying to for and against vegan diets for dogs ...some vets say that dogs can thrive on one as long as its a varied diet with proteins that replace the meat protein ....i too worry about a total vegan diet for dogs but must admit i have never looked into it ....alot of vets dont agree with the raw diet ...i think as long as you have done your research and your dog is happy and healthy with whatever diet .....on the raw diet my dogs have small firm non smelly poos .....what is a vegans dog poo like ....(just out of interest ) :thanks.gif: interesting thread love4.gif

pits

Post by pits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

It is a tricky topic and a lot of people are understandably passionate about wanting the best for their dogs, and for other dogs in general, we all love dogs and want the best for them. So there's a lot of varying opinions on the subject. These two articles from a doctor and a veterinarian are quite interesting too: http://web-dvm.net/dogs-are-omnivores-a ... d-as-such/
http://www.petfoodnutrition.com/carnivo ... -omnivore/

Like what sweetpea said, ultimately its about a dog getting in all of the necessary nutrients to keep him healthy and happy, whatever diet is chosen, everyone should do their research and make sure that their dog is getting in enough of the right things. :)

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:50 pm

I actually found the second article (the Who Cares one) posted in pits’ response above to be unprofessional and a bit anti-science. Especially the misleading part that can lead people to believe it’s okay to feed their cats on a vegetarian diet. Cats really are obligate carnivores.

I’m not really arguing that modern, domesticated dogs are pure carnivores. Although some raw feeders on this forum might do so. I think the science better supports that dogs, although classed as carnivores, and descended from pure/obligate carnivores, have evolved to thrive (not just survive) on an more omnivorous diet.

It matters because science matters. Science helps us learn about our world and also helps us to make well-informed decisions. I find the recent trend toward demonizing and devaluing science quite disturbing. I agree that people should do their research. But what ‘research’ does one then choose to go with? There is a lot of junk disguised as ‘information’ on the internet. Some just plain wrong and some so wrong that it’s dangerous. And a lot of it will simply validate someone’s preconceived beliefs. It’s hard to change minds. Science at least insists on evidence and facts – not feelings and ethics.

Of course, for some, ethics are important too. I don’t consider my views terribly extreme. I consider a belief that dogs are vegans extreme and unscientific. At the same time, I believe that an opposite view can be extreme too. I was once told in another forum that I shouldn’t own carnivorous pets (dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.) because I was a vegetarian. Now that’s extreme! There was no science behind that belief. Just pure feeling. Never mind that I have never insisted that my dogs follow a vegetarian diet simply because I chose to do so. I was still attacked in what I thought to be a very bizarre way.

My Lurcher killed a rat today. He didn’t do it out of spite. To think that would be to anthropomorphize him and impose my own ethics upon his behaviour. He did it because he is a predator and it’s in his blood to kill small animals. The incident made me shudder, but I can’t exactly punish him for doing what is simply in his nature. He is built to be a speedy killing machine, not a grazing animal. So, although I don’t feed him rats (I think most on this forum would agree that would be disgusting!) I do include a lot of meat in his diet, because that is what he has evolved to eat. He gets some veg too, but I have to say, he is not a big fan. lol.gif
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:36 am

100% agree with your Wander Woman! Dogs are meat eaters and that's a fact!

RosC

Post by RosC » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Having been a vegan myself for most of my life I am thrilled that these days it has become very popular to be a vegan and I salute everyone who chooses this way of life :cool.gif:
Personally, I have never tried to make any of my pets vegan as I think it is better for them to have a more varied diet (including meat / poultry I'm afraid) and I would not want to be responsible for them developing problems later on due to me feeding a restrictive diet. Even my children were brought up vegetarian rather than vegan.
I have chosen to be vegan, am very healthy, had 2 healthy pregnancies and do not ever take any supplements so I know this diet is healthy if done right but would not impose this on my dog (as much as I would like to!).
p.s. Did try to convert hubbie many years ago but that didn't work either lol.gif

Return to “Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes”