Raw Food and Natural Food Recommendations

Wander Woman

Raw Food and Natural Food Recommendations

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello all.

I know that some of you feed your dogs on a raw diet. We have been trialling this diet with Benny. He likes the food but I am looking for more supplier info.

We are in the Dorset-Hampshire borders /New Forest area. There don't seem to be many local suppliers about. Sway Butchers supposedly supply raw feed but they are tiny, and I'm not confident that they will be a good, constant, reasonably priced supplier.

We have used Landywoods but they are located in the North of the country and only deliver to our area once a month; they also attach quite a sizable delivery fee. Further, they had some supply problems last time - If I hadn't over-ordered (newbie to raw feeding) then I would have been stuck without enough food as well as the wrong foods, as they didn't have much of what I ordered on the van when they turned up and I had to take another kind of food that was refused by someone else. I think Team Ilbrey aren't doing raw meat anymore, and might not deliver to my area anyway. Their website advises to contact Landywoods.

Food like PAH Wainwright's Grain Free trays might be another possibility for us. I had good results with Wainwright's (with rice) for years. Because we have a motorhome lifestyle for part of the year, a raw diet is inconvenient/impossible to adhere to full time, since we don't have adequate freezer space in our van. I am aware of the controversy surrounding Nature Diet, so I think I will avoid that food for now. A large supplier like Natural Instinct might be another possibility.

So. What are your recommendations for raw and natural diet / high quality foods and suppliers? Any relevant info is welcome. :thanks.gif:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Rummibailey

Re: Raw Food and Natural Food Recommendations

Post by Rummibailey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm

We aren't that far from you (near Portsmouth) and we use Team Ilbrey. They used to have a page on their website and sell tripe, ox cheek, lamb and chicken in 450g packs. Their delivery is free and the chicken is 66p a pack. We only buy the chicken and feed extra liver, lamb rib bones and chicken portions (£1.75/kg from Tescos). I think the other packs are 66p or 77p each but not sure which ones are which price.

The delivery guy Pat delivers once a fortnight and I just text him a couple of day before to say how many packs I want.

However, a month or so ago he had problems getting stock from supplier and I had to order a mixed pack of minces from Landywoods. Wasn't impressed as a large proportion of it was tripe.

He texted me last week to say he had chicken back in stock and we had our delivery 2 days later. Not sure if he also has the other meats. Highly recommend him, I know he delivers along the South coast, not sure how far he goes but know he delivers to Southampton so may get to you.

I will PM you his number, and anyone else if they want it - have used him for over a year, very impressed with service and products.
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

chinquest

Post by chinquest » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm

I started with Landywoods but had the problems you've had so then I used Nurturing by nature who do next day delivery but I needed to order monthly because of delivery charge, I now shop locally with Bruno's dinner ;) so I only buy a week at a time and have room in the freezer for my food!
We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 pm

I use Landywoods but order through Gatwick Kennels and not direct - John (hoonercat) I know has done some research on this, might be worhwhile sending him a pm.

Tim
One Photo Can Save a Life

We love walking the kennel dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionaire
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

MrsP

Post by MrsP » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:52 pm

My two have Natural Instinct which delivers everywhere I think.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for your recommendations, everyone!

I had overlooked Nurturing by Nature. They look like a good possibility (and have a shop about a half hour away from me!) but are significantly more expensive than Landywoods. I would be happy to try out Bruno's Dinner but they are too far away from me. :cry:
"The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" - Jeremy Bentham

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 pm

I've used Landywoods and DAF for quite some time but as you say there were times when delivery was a problem and I didn't like the idea of food being delivered in the morning while I was out at work, even though they had ice packed with the food some of it would be defrosted.
Tried NaturesMenu but at the time they only had a limited selection, then Nutriment which was good but expensive (it's a complete raw food but again, not much variety).
NaturesMenu now have a much more varied selection, and Tia has been on it for about 8 months and has done very well on it. I also find my foster dogs are more likely to eat it than any of the others I used in the past. They sell complete raw meals and just meat/bone/ofal packs, I get a mix along with cheap chicken thighs/wings from the supermarket and oily fish once a week and add a teaspoon of fish oil once a day. I find NaturesMenu is a lot less messier though it is slightly more expensive than Landywoods and DAF but personally find it to be better quality, and easy to get as Pet at Home and Jolleys both stock it. They also do turkey necks and other raw bones but expensive compared to a local butcher.

Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Thank you, John. DAF's prices are pretty good compared to others. The delivery charge is still a bit much but at least it's next day delivery. Did you have a positive experience with them as a supplier? Did you receive what you ordered, no problems? I agree - it's a bit of a hassle having to plan to be around for delivery. That is a concern for me too but less so at the moment.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I didn't order directly from DAF but from a supplier, delivery was £10 which meant it was no cheaper than popping down to the pet shop and buying NaturesMenu. I used to mix veg as well (which added to the cost) while NaturesMenu has veg included, plus the labeling tells you exactly what is in it. I had to order DAF monthly to cut down on delivery costs, which took up lots of freezer space - easier for me to pop to the shop each weekend and buy a week's worth, when the delivery cost is included a months worth of NM costs the same as DAF and is, IMHO, better quality food.

Rummibailey

Post by Rummibailey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 pm

I think storage is often the main issue! Our own 2 dogs and Yogi get through 5 x 450g packs a day, less if they are having liver/chicken drumsticks/ribs. This means my fortnightly delivery is 60 packs which certainly takes up a lot of room! Certainly would be easier with just one dog or if i had a big chest freezer!
Don't Breed and Buy while Thousands Die in UK dog pounds

RosC

Post by RosC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm

I feed Shadow Natures menu frozen food and he seems to be fine with it ( he has quite a delicate stomach ). Several different flavours for variety. I also give him meat from the supermarket and the odd bone. Don't have a storage problem so pick up from PAH - I'm lucky that is is only 2 mins away. This doesn't seem to cost too much per day and he is happy to eat it - usually eats the Natures menu first!

Fran

Post by Fran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Nutriment - Camberly are very good (they used to own Natual Instinct). My friend and I share a order of 80kg and get 30% off but of course you need a big feezer. I have been to there factory for a walk around and was very impressed.

Return to “Food, Diet, Nutrition & Recipes”