Post by pits » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:45 pm

blog_56.jpg
Me with Sky in her kennel
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5860
blog_55.jpg
Patch in my sleeping bag
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5908

Thing's I've Learnt:
• When sleeping in very small confines with dog, if dog bottom is near face, be very aware of the firing line/danger area if farts occur (especially if repeatedly)
• Nothing seems to get close to a good hot meal
• Dogs are little heat generators
• Don't expect an extremely thin foam pad/yoga mat to be a good enough bed
• You will get a bit more used to terrible smells after time
• Bigger dogs = Better cuddles
• Don't take the most basic of things for granted!

pits

Re: Blog #13 - Thing's I've Learnt

Post by pits » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Blog 13 open for comments...

RosC

Post by RosC » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Well, apart from congratulations and well done I would say that having experienced many a 'windy' dog, it is very important not to be at the wrong end!
Dogs make very good hot water bottles but I think what you have highlighted is that usually these poor darlings are sleeping alone and have no-one to cuddle up to which they must miss terribly. Well done for highlighting the plight of rescue dogs and raising so much money along the way - well worth a few uncomfortable nights I am sure :goodjob.gif: Thank you so much!

pits

Post by pits » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 am

Thank you RosC, haha yes the windy end can be terrible. Thank you yes it was definitely worth it!

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

Yes Yohan some very interesting things have been learnt from your very brave challenge fundraiser. Dogs are most certainly heat generators but it also works the other way if our Kiki (ex RR from Gatwick kennels) is anything to go by. When she is feeling cold in the middle of the night she seeks me out and worms her way under my duvet, but not before asking me first - she comes up to my bed and taps it with her nose and then has a shake in the hope of waking me (it usually works). Who am I to deny her that extra warmth when she does a wonderful job at keeping my feet warm :biggrin.gif: , so it works both ways.

I keep checking and hoping that the target of £5000 has been reached or more.

Thank you so much for what you have done over the past week for the rescue dogs at Gatwick. I'm sure they appreciated your company. A big thank you for what you have done on the dog walking route in making it safer for dog walkers.

Looking forward to seeing if you have another challenge up your sleeve :biggrin.gif:

pits

Post by pits » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:32 pm

That's cute about your Kiki ChrisE! It ties into how dogs possibly got domesticated by humans offering dogs warmth/shelter and dogs offering humans protection/security etc, and vice versa.

Yes haha I'm more than happy with how well its done but its a bit OCD-inducing that its not quite reached the goal ha :D

Thank you I really appreciate that. The pallet idea didn't quite work out as planned, but the dry matter and the green non-slip plastic mats I put out seem to work well. There's more to do on that path and on other areas but hopefully someone else can continue with it.

:D About future challenges, well it will be interesting to try to one-up this one :D

Jojokate

Post by Jojokate » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

So proud of you Johan. You are a legend and I know the dogs LOVED having you.
To think you know exactly how they feel day in day out in a depressing kennel. Makes me incredibly sad , but on the flip side you've raised a lot of money for RR and everyone is very thankful.

Our Hero xx

pits

Post by pits » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 am

Thank you Jojokate :) :smiley-eatdrink004.gif: Many other people have done and do a huge amount for the rescue behind the scenes and which doesn't get as much or any publicity so all these people are to thank really for their dedication and often thankless work. :thanks.gif: It is saddening yes to feel how it is for these dogs in some way, but its important to make ourselves aware of these things too.

Return to “Sleeping Ruff Johans Daily Blog Now Active”