Essential Reading prior to application HOMING PROCESS

Have you found a dog you would like to adopt? The process is explained here and includes a Homing Questionnaire for you to complete

Essential Reading prior to application HOMING PROCESS

Postby xxlynne » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am

Sit with a drink and offer 10 minutes reading:
RRlogo.jpg

Our Homing Team: Our Homing Questionnaire is the first point of enquiry about dog ownership: We do not have volunteers available to discuss our dogs with, who know them in sufficient depth to answer your questions. The foster may know their dog in their circumstance as they emerge but wont have the depth of experience to translate through to more varied situations based on the reading of the breed and integral skills. Our homing team may be directed to another dog who is more suitable, so discussions have to be through the homing team...hence the application. You need to meet our criteria first i.e. being serious about adopting a dog within the week and being prepped ready. Our Homing Questionnaire is comprehensive and we will need answers to all the questions for us to successfully match a suitable dog to your family. Otherwise people ending up wasting their and our time. We will be blunt and direct and you may think we are washing away your dreams but homing a dog needs to be found=ed in realism and our guidance will be to achieve a very positive outcome.

Preparation factors include:
Talked with all the family members, the owners of the property, the friend or family who will be involved with the dog or affected by a dog eg regularly visiting children's other parents who can object and your plans for dog ownership can be collapsed by ex partner parent to your children; landlord; live in parent.

Activity plans: Scrutinise over the next few weeks and then suddenly as ready to home, remember a short break or relatives coming. In truth people use this as the most frequent excuse as why they don't wish to go further eg family emergencies and we are left hanging never to be contacted again.

Dog contact/ skills: Resident (and ideally regularly visiting dogs) must be neutered as unneutered pets cause all manner of discord with hormonal variations. All dogs are neutered unless veterinary written advice available as to why this isn't possible.

Garden boundaries checked, repaired and photographed/ videoed. Are your garden boundaries appropriate for the type of dog you are applying for.

First time dog owners need to investigate a training class or a one to one session

Complete our Homing Questionnaire: Having read the above and judged yourself ready and prepared for a dog, complete our online questionnaire making sure contact numbers are not work numbers, keeping a copy for your records and email enquiries@rescueremedies.co.uk after 3 days if we haven't contacted you having checked your spam/junk email and answerphone messages. We will make an appointment with you to talk when you have time to engage in a full conversation. This aspect takes a lot of time finding a mutual time within a window of time between 9am -6pm.

We will discuss your lifestyle and expectations of our dogs. After discussion we will come back to you with suggestions. We use boarding kennels and a few fosterers so you need to be aware you need to target on location it is not possible to ask our homing volunteers to travel around London looking at dogs our Forum and dog's threads serve that purpose. Once dogs are suggested then come back to us with your considerations. We will not chase you as the initiative for the whole process needs to come from you with the passion and compassion offering a homeless dogs involves.
Emblem.JPG

Respect:We ask you to respect our hard pressed volunteers on all accounts. On submission of a homing questionnaire when we contact we are not 'cold callers'. We are giving up our personal time for you, we do not have paid employees. We will be honest with you and may need to educate/ remind you of the breed traits and their impact on family life and management thereof. We arent purposefully 'putting you off' but always bring the realism of dog ownership to the fore. We are reminding you what it is to manage a young dog and their needs, what techniques do not work with our dogs despite TV personalities using water guns and 'dominance' theory. We look for families who want our dogs as pets, not closed off in the kitchen at night and when left, and only allowed on the sofa on invite. Our attitude and approach is to work WITH our dog in the frame of loving kindness and respect their breed traits eg Shepherd will very often have 'guarding traits' 'Working Terriers types can kill small furries or cats. Bull breeds are emotional and need to engage and when young will jump up to greet you; can be mouthy. Some of our dogs need to be only pets; some need to live with at least 1 other dog. We ask you respect our time and experience we are experts in our field. We treat your application as a job interview/ dog interview! If you fail to impress us we may not want to take the process further as we need to have trust in placing our dogs in capable hands. We are looking for flexibility, tolerance and a responsible attitude to support a homeless dog to build skills and settle.

Our adoption process is just that: It is not a purchase /retail process. It is a vetting process to try to ensure our dog will be well cared for, kept safe and hopefully live out the rest of their days in your care. If we begin to be abused we have then lost an enduring trusting relationship with our dogs owners, so do not go further. An abusive email received signals a completion of the relationship. Often received when a family are focused on looks of a particular dog and not listening to the needs of that dog.

Our potential families must demonstrate empathy for our kennelled dogs who don't deserve an hour longer to remain in kennels which is an extremely stressful environment: That is why we put ourselves out to get our dogs into their rightful homes. The pace we work at may not suit you but it suits our dogs. If you want to approach dog ownership casually and take your time go to a Rescue Centre but be aware until home checked no dog is reserved so you may be daydreaming about a dog who is already off into their home before your next visit.

Here is our "Off Lead rules" which we advise you read, in the context of current dog laws and the real threats of off lead dogs outside the house (and inside also, we are not covering that here). We no longer live in the 1950 where dogs were off lead on streets. We nolonger live in the 1970 where dogs got into fights and everyone shook hands and parted company understanding these situations do happen. We nolonger live in 1990 where if you left your dog tied up outside a shop you could guarantee it would be waiting for you when you returned, or had bitten an over zealous child. AND we no longer live in 2010 where if your dogs got into a squabble over a ball and someone got inadvertently bitten you wouldnt end up with a destruction order on your dog and a criminal record to boot. Or a control order with your dog needing to be muzzles whenever outside the house. A the law seeing you the dog handler as the responsible person not your dog.

2016 and dog laws have changed! Over the past 10 years a zero tolerance in anti-dog culture has been sought with the press and the public taking a hardened attitude toward dogs and, in particular, towards Bull breeds. We consistently get homing applications with the naivety and innocence in expecting most dogs will achieve off lead status. We have needed to spell out some of the realities which we hope will make you think about the expectations placed on a dog’s shoulders to be an off lead dog.

A few facts: Dogs Trust Stray Dog Survey 2014 - with figures from only 90% 0f Local Authorities complying, the other 10% probably having a high kill rate so are embarrassed to declare their figures. 110,000 dogs were found stray; 55,253 (50%) passed back to owner; 7,805 (less than 10%) put to sleep; 29,236 (20%) passed to welfare rescues (many not making it through to homing); 20% not accounted for! Source: https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/whats-happ ... report.pdf

Rescue Remedies is a responsible rescue. We help council pound “death row dogs” either handed in as supposed strays or genuinely stray from lost off lead or escaping from insecure gardens. These rescued dogs’ original owners did not stand there for them! Council pound dogs get seven days to be reclaimed and cost at least £100 to reclaim. Even when chipped owners claim they sold them on or deny ever owning them; from April 6 this year they will face hefty fines for failing to change ownership details.

Expectations on a dog who is “Off Lead”

Our dogs must achieve 100% recall despite distractions such as cats; squirrels; birds; running children; joggers; cyclists or other dogs running. They must never chase or jump up in excitement especially if they are a Bull breed.

Our dog must show exemplary behaviour when off lead never intruding into an unsociable dog’s space; they must walk away if another dog challenges or starts a fight and they must never run across a road or out of a park gate etc.

Our off lead dog must not risk their health when going down a hole; drinking from a river and possibly catching Weils disease contracted from rats urine or pick up rotten food.

Our dog must never challenge or steal from children, fisher people, picnickers or another dog’s, food, toys or balls.

IF OR WHEN my dog ever has an altercation with another dog and one or both get bitten I will stand by my dog and take full responsibility and pay the vet bill for the on lead dog. I will accept a visit by a council official to my property and from then on live by the resulting “Control Order” where I have to muzzle my dog in public never to come off lead again and know I am the one that will be prosecuted despite the fact I may blame my dog!

IF OR WHEN a member of public gets inadvertently, accidentally or actually bitten; for example; by an over excited dog, patted by a stranger or during separating 2 dogs, I will stand by them when a police officer visits and I receive a Control Order or possibly a ‘Destruction Order’ which could result in my dog being killed or, I will accept my dog may be seized and fight for them through the courts to prove their character and save my much treasured pet’s life.
OUTCOME: I wanted my dog to be an off lead dog! I have ended up with a dog that by law must now be muzzled; we both have to bear this cross and deal with all the social stigma that comes with the use of a muzzle but, I won’t blame the dog will I!

If I then decide to get 'rid' of my dog I will spend two days on the phone trying to get a rescue to believe in my dog that I put far too much expectation upon and they failed to meet my grade. I will tell them it’s my fault not the dogs, or perhaps, I will put the blame on the dog and kill my dog for not meeting my ideals; after all they were the one that didn’t walk away when provoked; they were the one that didn’t read the other dog who didn’t want an over social dog in their face, who was held on a lead by a ‘responsible’ owner who tried to call and tell me. I wasn’t paying attention and it’s my fault they jumped up at a family who didn’t want a dog saying hello, or they knocked over a child or caught their coat with their claw or plastered mud on their suit on route to work; I will pay the price or will my dog by losing its home or its life??

Some Rescue Remedies homing’s that we trusted to first take their dog and themselves on a training course, do not, but call in a behaviourist within weeks of homing, placing the blame on the dog. Some fail to grasp basic breed traits which give them chase drive and exuberance or remember the impoverished background they had. Some families who insisted they will keep our dog on a lead call us to say our dog has been missing for four hours and they are worried sick, or is fighting for its life after being run over or got into a fight with an antisocial dog. Some ask us to take their dog back as they aren’t that ‘100% all singing, all dancing, perfect mannered’ dog they’d hoped them to be. Many of our responsible homers do stand by our dogs and ensure they are on lead supported with dog encounters and are safe in public; these dogs go on to enjoy fulfilled and cherished lives.

Fudgie13.jpg
Rescue Remedies take in pound dogs and turn their fortunes around
MarianMar12.jpg

We will then arrange a homecheck and/or possibly a vet. reference. We do this speedily and arrange for you to meet selected dogs appropriate with the view to homing. This is not a long drawn-out procedure usually from enquiry you may find yourself with a waggy tail in your home within 3-5 days. It is clearly in the interest of our dogs and the many dogs looking for rescue places to achieve this process as speedily as possible. And this is why we ask you.. ?Are you ready.

If you are interested in re-homing please complete our homing questionnaire so we can ensure our dogs are matched and will suit your circumstances/lifestyle.

Any interest for our dogs must be expressed through a homing questionnaire which is meant to be a sobering and revealing experience to ensure you are ready and open for us to match beyond looks but based ability to meet our dogs needs.

Our Forum is our Rescue Centre: Browse. Each dog's title bar on the Forum states their name; breed; age and location. Download our lists at the top of every section and on the side bars of websites so you can flag up and be aware of our dogs. Please do not enter questions and claims on the Forum we will probably be talking with a family over various dogs and it can upset them to think we have reserved to another. We can only answer questionnaire knowing the complexity of your situation as provided via a homing questionnaire which reveals the professional nature of our homing procedure.

Purchase! We hope you appreciate you are not dealing with a shop, making money out of dogs. We are a charity where we all put our own money into our dogs to save them being put to sleep in the pounds and then proving them with all the necessary vet care and kennelling until they find their family. Anyone seriously involved with us and preparing to meet a dog needs to show commitment and respect for our volunteers own time. No one is paid so there is no cause for harassment. We only have the dogs we have and please respect another so call rescue may allow you to home their dog based on looks and not on integral skills but you could become heartbroken as a consequence when that dog's integral make-up doesn't suit your expectations. So please respect our assessment of our dogs and your needs.

Upon focusing & committing to a particular dog with meeting arranged we require the minimum donation or £175. many respect all the bills we have already endured and also where it is a direct homing this helps towards paying 3 weeks kennelling with one of our longstay dogs. It is not a price and if you have a retail model then perhaps Rescue isn't for you. A puppy will cost at least this much without vaccinations; chipping (though should) and without neutering and at no costs to the breeder reference months of kennelling. Like all charities we will try to rematch if the selected dog doesn't suit, and we hope you will have a clearer idea what you can actually manage. We always take our dogs back and most people appreciate this where as private homings people can be left high and dry with no Rescues having the capacity to help.
staffierescue logo.jpg
NEWTRheader.jpg
xxlynne

Re: Essential Reading prior to application HOMING PROCESS

Postby xxlynne » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:37 am

A reminder to anyone being approached by a member of public wanting to home one of our dogs.

All dog enquiries must come to us via a homing questionnaire, we mention this on all our adverts. The family if they do not have internet access or aren't internet savvy, should be encouraged to find friend or family member to complete HQu over the phone with them (this is by far the best way and many do). Or the Rescue Remedies volunteer takes it on themselves to complete the HQu over the phone with the enquirer. We have very finite resources completely over stretched so being a internet based rescue this is our operational way. We do not have telephone resources. Or last resort if the RR volunteer cant themselves support the enquiry by assisting in complete the HQu over the phone then to pass details on to enquiries@rescueremedies.co.uk

Just need to make sure we optimise everyone's time and our limited resources.
xxlynne

Return to HOMING PROCEDURE ...