Another crazy bike ride over the mountains

Projects that not only need supporting with donations, but also by spreading the word!
wizzer

Another crazy bike ride over the mountains

Post by wizzer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi all,

As some of you may remember, last year I attempted to do something that a sensible old bloke shouldn’t really do, in order to raise some money for RR and many thanks for all those who helped again last time.

As the legs and bum are now fully recovered, (and because I'm not sensible) I'm having another go at riding my bike over the some of the hardest mountain roads in France, crossing the Pyrenees from Hendaye on the Atlantic coast to Cerbere on the Mediterranean!

I am once again taking part in the Raid Pyrenean, riding 720km (447 miles), but the challenge is that it has to be completed in less than 100 hours and we have check points in various locations along the route to make sure we stick to the route and time.

Starting on Monday 5th September, the first four days cover about 100 miles per day and last year I suffered with saddles sores by day 3, so I’m hoping this won’t be the case this time!

To make things harder, the route climbs over some of the iconic mountains used on the Tour de France, like the Tourmalet, Aubisque and Pailheres – more than 11000 metres of climbing which is about 1 ¼ times the height of Mount Everest!

This year in an attempt to raise more money for RR, I have decided to also raise money for the Wings for Life charity, which will hopefully open up a new sponsor audience where I work, but the majority of monies raised will be for our worthy canine cause.

Please have a look at my page and if you can spare a few pounds to help me help the dogs, I would be very grateful:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Wizzer

Kiwi will give you all a big kiss too!

Many thanks,

Richard.

wizzer

Re: Another crazy bike ride over the mountains

Post by wizzer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:14 am

Just under 4 weeks to go....

So far I've managed to lose just over 8kg of body weight to hopefully help me get over the big mountains, but still need to do lots of training miles in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, but if anyone else can spare just a few pounds, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Richard.

wizzer

Post by wizzer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Here we are again in sunny France, waiting to start tomorrow's epic journey.

Tomorrow is a gentle introduction of 160 kilometres before the big mountains start on Tuesday.

I will try to update the forum each day (wifi permitting) but in the meantime, if anyone else would like to help me on my way, and more importantly help the dogs, here is a reminder of my page address.

Many thanks,

Richard.

wizzer

Post by wizzer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi everyone - today we completed 164 kilometres (102 miles) in very hot conditions - over 2000 metres of climbing which seemed particularly hard today. We stopped at one point to dunk in a river as we were over-heating!

Now looking for a cold beer and something to eat.......

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:01 am

Richard enjoy that fresh air and our thanks for all your endeavours :goodjob.gif:

gsdlover

Post by gsdlover » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:07 am

Well done Richard....sounds like you are doing really well.

Stay safe and enjoy.... :goodluck.gif:

wizzer

Post by wizzer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi all - not quite such a good day today - didn't sleep more than an hour last night and was sick during the day today - probably due to the heat.

Managed to get over the giant Aubisque climb and tomorrow we head for some more of the classic Tour de France mountains - hopefully a better day tomorrow.

wizzer

Post by wizzer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Another 36 degrees day yesterday saw lots of people hit by sunstroke but we still managed most of the big mountains with another long day.

Today started in the opposite way with low temperatures and driving rain. On top of the big climb of the day it was 9 degrees and visibility on the way down was around 10 metres, which meant a slower than normal day and a very dangerous descent.
Towards the end of the mountains we were hit by 70 kph crosswinds and these are due to continue tomorrow as a headwind. We have really seen everything the mountains have to offer this week.

wizzer

Post by wizzer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:33 pm

We've made it to the Med!

100km today in 32 degrees at an average speed of just under 20 miles per hour, so I'm quite please with that.

It's been a bit of an ordeal this week with the heat and then cold rain, but we are here - I have now promised myself that I am never attempting this again....... I wonder what I should do next time??

Thanks again to everyone who has helped my cause - well more specifically RR, but if anyone would like to help my saddle sores heal a bit quicker, please use this link:

And finally, Kiwi sends big licks and wags to everyone....

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:51 am

You are amazing...... sign_omg.gif :goodjob.gif: :goodluck.gif: with the rest of your journey. ...sounds awesome

Return to “Appeals and Sponsored Events”