Toby (Mr Toberlone) Red Fell Terrier 2003 -2018

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
mod6

Re: Toby (Mr Toberlone) 4-5 years Red Fell Terrier Richmond

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 pm by xxlynne

Mr Toberlone, "Tobs"  or Tobee (or not To bee..) is a character and has come on leaps and bounds- or perhaps I should say in Tobee's eyes, we are beginning to make the grade.

He suffers from extreme guardiness and we say extreme because probably 20% of his time is spent grumbling and 2% is savagely and fiercely confronting us over something he has chosen to guard usually 'space' or 'possession'. We never put too much food in his bowl else once he has had enough he maroons himself in the room and attacks the opening door when we try to enter. At 9pm he takes himself to bed..we have over the past 6 months completely changed our household and made his 'bed' our bed. It never occurred to us to put ourselves 'at risk' i.e him biting through the bed covers when 'uptight' BUT it did occur to us that he was such a loving dog and almost fiercely hit out at us for 'closing him in (his room)then it dawned on us we were closing him 'out'. It has been such a revelation to invite him into our hearts. He is delighted every night to come on to the bed and snuggle with us so content.

Here is a picture of Tobs guarding 'space' recently which was a nightly occurence. Our doors bear the scars of repetitive teeth marks.
Today he dug something into the garden hence the heap and muddy nose and spent the afternoon guarding it which he hasn't done for about 9 months. Still don't know what he buried.

And finally this is a common feature... Tobs in his high away place
mod6

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm by xxlynne

Aw bless thats our boy!

Such a mass of contradictions - thank fully so loved and understood at the Da Costa house xxxx
mod6

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:52 pm by SharonR
Today he dug something into the garden hence the heap and muddy nose and spent the afternoon guarding it which he hasn't done for about 9 months. Still don't know what he buried.
Anyone seen Lorenzo?!!!!
mod6

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:46 pm by xxlynne

Thought I'd give an update on Mr Toblerone who is the ultimate in terriers. Toby has always had an issue with resource and space guarding. It is severe and he is 'zoned' when in this space and will bite but we have worked with him in that he has gained some consciousness and so grabs down showing his dismay but no longer 'hits' out at person. If a person put their hand close he would still bite (I had to test him when he first came to us...his threats were real! But he is a perfect example of being very clear (understatement!) and therefore predictable but he could never have lived with children as he is not conscious enough, nor would they be.

Toby has a very clear intelligence he watches TV and Videos and understands what he sees. We tend to leave Toby to it and respect his emotional needs. He will often vanish into an open cupboard or cosy nook and the first you hear about it is grumbles coming from the 'haven'; Toby is the softest and most affection terrier ever. He is Mr Sociability outside and loves to meet people, dogs and children. Everyboby loves him!
mod6

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:17 pm by ladylou

Thank goodness he has you, who understands him.
mod6

Post by mod6 »

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:57 pm by SharonR

Cutest tiger I've ever seen! Poor confused boy.

Nice to see little Minxy too!
xxlynne

Re: Toby (Mr Toberlone) Red Fell Terrier 2003 -2018

Post by xxlynne »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Today one of my gurus/ teachers had to leave. Toby taught me; trained me; opened my heart and eyes....immerse and intense was our love

Thank you for coming into my life I will always remember the day you arrived and walked into my home where I ran the Rescue Such wonderful dog skills; such querky character traits and you gave me so much joy....my beautiful boy
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Thinking of you Lynne xxxxx
And Thankyou Toby for teaching your mum so so much and helping so many in the process love4.gif
Sleep tight xxx
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Dani

Post by Dani »

Rest in peace Toby xxxx
Thoughts are with you Lynne at this sad time.
Froggie757

Post by Froggie757 »

So sorry Lynne [cry.gif]

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”