Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 - 15.10.18

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
rob_w

Re: Neko Akita DoB 08.09.07 Partridge Green Foster

Post by rob_w »

I just want the big guy to feel better and find his forever home. As Lynne has said he and I walked (well driven!) a long journey and tried many things, but unfortunately while some started promising we always ended back at the same point - the infection is so long standing and deep rooted that it is impossible to shift.

I know we as walkers and fosterers are bound to say nice things about the dogs in our care, in Neko's case though despite the pain he must be in he truly is a great companion. Akitas as a breed tend to take a little while to properly warm to people, so you know you are deeply honoured when you get your first face wash from him.

He is also incredibly low maintenance, he loves a belly rub and a little play, he is 100% clean around the house and I have left him for 4 hours on his own without any issues whatsoever. Despite his age he still loves a walkies but he is perfectly happy with a short plod of 15-20 minutes. Well, it would take that long if he didn't need to stop, sniff and mark his territory every 5feet. If you can get 200 yards in 15 minutes you have done pretty well.

I will have everything crossed that the big man will come out of the vets next week in substantially less pain. We'll keep everyone posted!
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Neko had his operation today, and is back home with me now - a very sore and tender teddy bear. The operation took a considerable amount of time as almost the entire cartilaginous section of the inner ear had calcified to bone. His ear drum was entirely destroyed by the infection. The middle ear was also infected and this has been thoroughly cleaned out. He has a temporary tube in his ear to help it drain and the biggest buster collar I have seen to prevent him from pulling the tube out or worrying at the ear itself. He is not a fan of this collar and managed to get himself stuck on the small step into my house with it.

We're back to the vets next Thursday to check on progress, so fingers crossed that the procedure today will have put an end to the ongoing pain he must have been in.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Everything crossed here that Neko will feel much better very soon ... :crossfingers.gif:
Thankyou again for looking after the lovely boy.. :goodjob.gif: :thanks.gif:
nada.c

Post by nada.c »

Rob, thank you for everything you’re doing to help Neko get better.
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

I thought I would share a couple of pics I took yesterday. The buster collar is impossible to keep clean because of the fluid draining from his ear and he is understandably reluctant to let me mess around with it too much.

Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Thankyou Rob and family for looking after this teddy bear boy - sending Neko hugs and fast healing wishes xxx
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

On a positive he has just been out into the back garden to tell the two very yappy and loud cockapoo's that live in one of the neighbouring housing to be quiet, so I think he is starting to feel a little more like his old self already.
Julesjacie

Post by Julesjacie »

I have totally fallen in love with Neko! I used to have an Akita called Miko and she was the sweetest gentlest girl ever. Sending lots of love to Neko and hope he feels better soon x
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Just a short update on "cone life" - I'm starting to have nightmares which just contain the sound of a plastic buster collar being dragged across various surfaces, so I'm sure it must be horrendous for Neko.

On Saturday he managed to catch the bottom of the collar on the back door step and cracked it from front to back, so now it's covered in parcel tape (as well as ear gunk) to try and hold it together.

The operation and the recovery time has had a bit of an effect on his energy levels, but he still enjoys a little gentle stroll (complete with teenage daughter number two here). Coco was with us for this, but she was far to busy chasing Chuck-it balls to want to be in the picture.

The drain tube is still in, and it's possible to see where his earhole has been stitched closed around it.

We are back to the vets on Thursday, where how the healing is going can be assessed and hopefully I'll have the opportunity to give his fur a bit of a clean as it's all matted and nasty.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Bless his heart smiley-sad010.gif
Heal well lovely boy and thanks again for all your care and support for the big bear love4.gif

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”