Gizmo Partially-sighted Staffie DOB 07-06 - 2017

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies

Gizmo Partially-sighted Staffie DOB 07-06 - 2017

Post by Rescue Remedies »

Aug 11, 2010 9:38 pm
Gizmo9.jpg
Our darling partially sighted Staffy Gizmo who we got from Rescue Remedies in 2010 died on Sunday 01 October Almost out of the blue in the morning He started panting a lot so we took him to see the emergency vet & they carried out scans, x-ray's & blood tests, (he was so good they didn't even have to sedate him). They couldn't find anything obviously wrong & he didn't have a temperature so they put him on antibiotics & he came home. At 10 pm that evening his breathing got worse so we phoned the vet again & they said to take him outside in the fresh air to see if that would help & he just died in Paul's arms.
We are both devastated & we don't know what to do with ourselves, Gizmo was our darling little man & we don't know what happened, it was so unexpected & we keep crying, the house is so empty, we were both brought up with dogs & have had rescue dogs for years but we have never had a Staffy before & I can Honestly say he was the best we have ever had.
We miss you Gizzy Sylvia
Gizmo.jpg
Gizmo's thread below:

Homing requirements: Gizmo is partially sighted and needs a family geared to this. It is actually easy to forget he is challenged when in his company. His family will need to have awareness and be alert making sure he isn't put at risk of injury or danger i.e. roads. He needs a family who can ensure his eyes receive 'care' as required, if they prove vulnerable. Gizmo could live with another fluent dog or dog friendly cat. Gizmo would prefer a companion home, but would tolerate part-time working.

His Story: Gizmo was found stray & chipped, but the owner was no longer contactable. He presented with 'cherry eyes', but once operated on was found to have very limited vision which he makes full use of with alert hearing and he is not as 'disabled' as you would assume.

Advert: Gizmo is a larger than life character in a small body with tiny eyes that seem to gaze up at you with a huge smile! He is very attuned to people and loves to meet everyone and everything. Gizmo has a passion for life; a heart the size of a ship and just adores company! Gizmo is sensitive to light coloured items and moving objects, optimising and 'reading' every bit of sensory information he has to achieve quite a clear understanding of his environment.

Gizmo is happy to run around and play ball, but just as happy to sit by your feet and be stroked whilst you watch TV. He will potter from room to room and be beside you. Gizmo is special, but no need to feel sorry for him ... he is never sad. In kennels he stands alert waiting for a voice directed his way or a movement which means he might get a fuss! He isn't delicate and loves a rough and tumble, but obviously his home needs to be managed to ensure he doesn't inadvertently damage himself e.g. sharp coffee table corners. Gizmo is a concentrated dollop of goodness.

Please visit Gizmo's thread, in Dogs needing homes in Kennels on our forum http://rescueremedies.myfastforum.org/about3577.html to find out more about him and follow his progress.

If you are interested in re-homing please complete our homing questionnaire https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/r7x3s5/ so we can ensure our dogs are matched and will suit your circumstances/lifestyle.

Picture below pre-op...

Post op!

Follow Gizmo's thread below and see his progress through our rescue

Referral Details: Hi Lynne,
I'm really sorry to ask but I have two dogs which have been let down by a large rescue who said they'd take them and then denied they said they would take them. I need to move them fairly quickly as they are both overdue now.

We have Gizmo who is a little staffy boy. He doesn't appear to be that old although looks it, he's got cherry eyes. The large rescue came and assessed him with other dogs, put him with the little girl below and he passed the assessment, he seems absolutely fine with other dogs and of course no aggression to people. His face shows that he is uncomfortable and I think it ages him.

Anna is a little xbreed girl who was assessed with the little boy above and also passed the assessment. She is fairly young and a real sweetie. Absolutely gorgeous with such beautiful markings.

I was wondering if you would be able to help with either of them? I know you are probably full and would be concerned about vets bills for the staffy boy, but I've got to ask.
Thank you for looking,
Melxx

Gizmo comes soon and is operated on Tuesday 17th Aug by Wendy
Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Gizmo Partially-sighted Staffie DOB 07-06 Bicester Oxfor

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 »

Jilly Allen 12 Aug 2010 08:17 am

That must be very uncomfortable poor boy lets hope vets can turn it around and give this guy a chance.
Rescue Remedies_2

xxlynne 17 Aug 2010 04:32 pm

Hello my name is Gizmo and yes I'm a tiny Staffie but full of life.

Phil was one of the 3 people to help get down from 'up north' so I can be cared for. The vet has told you I was born with tiny eyes and have never had proper vision. Lets see if once these sore red blobbs are taken away whether I can see anything but the vet isn't hopeful. C'est la vie!

Rescue Remedies_2

ali12345 17 Aug 2010 05:08 pm

Fingers crossed a foster comes forward for this little lad :hello2: and that he ends up with more sight than they think
Rescue Remedies_2

Jilly Allen 17 Aug 2010 06:00 pm

Poor little lad but its amazing how happy blind dogs or partially sighted dogs can be. At least he is safe and soon hopefully will be in a loving home. He is so little he wouldn't take much space up !!!
Rescue Remedies_2

ali12345 17 Aug 2010 06:17 pm

Yes - once in a suitable home he will be fine - so many blind dogs get on so well.
Rescue Remedies_2

ClaireG 17 Aug 2010 06:24 pm

I had a totally blind dog once ....... it was still fastest to anything you dropped on the floor!

Donation via paypal made towards his op - sorry it can't be more
Rescue Remedies_2

SharonR 17 Aug 2010 07:39 pm

ClaireG wrote:
I had a totally blind dog once ....... it was still fastest to anything you dropped on the floor!

Donation via paypal made towards his op - sorry it can't be moreThanks so much ClaireG, every bit will help.

Am sure Lynne will get an idea of the costs from our vet, but as far as I know there are two ways to fix cherry eye ... they either remove it or stitch it back. Then of course that depends on whether he has any vision at all and what the underlying problem is. RR never discriminates against dogs with any health problems so you can be sure he will get the treatment he needs.
Rescue Remedies_2

xxlynne 18 Aug 2010 11:34 pm

NB: We have agreed not to appeal for money for Gizmo, but people have wanted to give and this will help our work, thank you. Our kennel bills are our cripplers. Also we do not purposefully use our dogs for sympathy votes or subtly as our fund raisers. BUT their sad stories move people's hearts Gizmo moves hearts. Read on and applaud his capability! We stand behind each one of our dogs, their courage and assist them all in everyway.

This little chap is exceptional in character and qualities. He is yet to settle in his new kennel environment but he is calm, listening and standing attentive by his door. Getting eye drops in is difficult as he is a wriggler but Sue and Graham persevere.

Phil and Jackie came to take Gizmo for a walk with their beautiful boy Staffie Boycie. Gizmo met 'Mr B' really well and in his excitement sort to play and have tactile contact as they walked together. He continued to seek Boycie out despite Boycie being off lead; he was hot on the trail. He could be told and he was settling even by the end of the walk. Gizmo also attended his affection on Cherry and her new family. We watched Gizmo being checked by dog and human and he took is sensitively as feedback. He listens! Gizmo seemed delighted to have contact with dogs and we were so pleased to see them all received him so well.

In conclusion Gizmo had a great time and whilst Phil had to ensure he wasn't running into things, his antennae were up and navigated his environment maturely. He uses his front legs and paws, held just so as he walks, to sense his way. Other people would not have immediately recognised his disability. He loved being picked up cuddled and kissed when he got scared by a fast passing car, bless him. Gizmo would do well to have another dog as a companion and in fact would adore this. He would settle after the initial excitement and this settling would help his encounters with other dogs also. Love him; sad to see him in kennels as with all our dogs.

Gizmo needs an ever vigliant owner(s) he is extra vunerable and very venerable!
Rescue Remedies_2

Jilly Allen 19 Aug 2010 10:19 am

What a find this young man is. Yes a home with another dog would be great as we all know blind dogs really appreciate their own guide dog. He is a sweetie who has had a rough time.

Lets hope a forever home is out there who just happen to have space for a lad who just needs cuddles, walks and company. Gizmo needs you x

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”