Alfie Staffie DOB 05.09.04 - 13.03.18

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
lonewolf

Re: Alfie Staffie DOB 05.09.04 Orpington

Post by lonewolf »

What a pleasant surprise to have the whole of Alfie's old thread returned to the forum. It has brought back some great memories. We received notification from Lynne last night that it was back up and she asked if we could give an update on Alfie.

Since we last posted Alf has just carried on with life in his own happy way. He recently passed his 12th birthday and it seems like things have gone by so quickly. A couple of years ago we stopped taking him to training classes. Apart from his issues with other dogs being too close to him he really is perfectly behaved anyway so training classes were really about giving him some fun and something to do that he enjoyed. I kind of felt that he was getting on a little bit to be charging round an agility course (and he really did used to charge round)! So we swapped that for long walks in the countryside which he loves.

Over the last year or so I noticed him slowing down a little and being a little less enthusiastic on his walks. I put it down to him preferring a warm sofa but a couple of months ago he started limping quite badly. My dog experience is limited so I assumed he'd sprained something but after it didn't improve we took him to the vet and he's been diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in his front legs (the "elbow" joints). It seems it's just wear and tear as he's got older. He's been on painkillers ever since but I've taken advice from the forum and friends and started him on some joint supplements (YuMove Advance). I've also read about the wonders of turmeric so have been cooking and making up "golden paste" to add to his food. I've read that there is a possibility he won't need to be on painkillers long-term if the supplements and turmeric can do the job. The good news is that he's not limping anymore and now we have cut down the amount of walking he does. No more 5 mile walks but just 20 minutes here and there! He's been on a double dose of the YuMove so far (as advised) but has just now gone onto the normal dosage. The vet has told me that we can stop the painkillers in two weeks' time so it's fingers crossed! We'll have to see if he stays limp free or whether we have to reintroduce painkillers.

Fortunately for Alfie he also loves car journeys and these have led to a bit of a transformation in Alfie. My wife and sister-in-law have a horse and on previous visits to the stables Alfie had to be on a lead at all times. If a horse ever went to go near him he would lunge at them out of fear. It took a whole summer of visiting the stables with my sister-in-law but imagine my surprise when she told me that he goes in the stable with the horse off lead and they eat carrots together! Only when I saw it with my own eyes did I believe it. From tying him up to the fence while the horse was groomed to having the confidence to let him off lead took time and patience but it just goes to show how dogs can learn to trust.

The other funny side to the car journeys is that he is always eager to jump in. One day when my sister-in-law wanted to clean her car Alfie followed her outside. As soon as she opened the door he jumped in the passenger seat. She tried to tell him she wasn't going anywhere and to get out but he wouldn't budge. He ended up sat there for 45 minutes while she washed the car and leathered it off!

Anyway, that's enough from me. Here's a few pictures of the old boy for those that remember him.
The attachment January.jpg is no longer available
January.jpg
Emma Horse.jpg
Cover & April.jpg
December.jpg
March Colin.jpg
May Meditation.jpg
November Pub.jpg
May.jpg
October reserve.jpg
September.jpg
Attachments
July.jpg
lonewolf

Re: Alfie Staffie DOB 05.09.04 13.03.18

Post by lonewolf »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm sad to report that we lost our best friend Alfie a couple of weeks ago. In recent times he had to battle a few operations involving a cancerous tumour which ultimately meant he had to have his left eye removed. He had a successful operation in October last year and he came through it really well and adapted brilliantly to life with one eye - in fact being tumour free seemed to give him a new lease of life. Unfortunately, during his recovery we recently discovered another large tumour (hemangiosarcoma) in his abdomen and we were told that nothing could be done.

We made sure Alfie finally went to sleep at home with us holding him. He had a dignified and peaceful ending.

He'd reached a pretty grand age of thirteen and a half and in the seven years he was with us we like to think he had the best of times. He had company all day every day, enjoyed many many long walks, trips to the beach, training and agility classes, and every single night he could choose between his huge warm bed or spending the night on ours (whichever he preferred).

I can assure you that he gave us a million times more than we ever gave him. He was the centre of our family and we miss him terribly.

RIP Alfie xxx
Light.jpg
After his eye operation late last year
After his eye operation late last year
He liked coming out for a ride in the horse box
He liked coming out for a ride in the horse box
He wasn't adopted in this photo of his first Christmas with us but I think he'd made his mind up!
He wasn't adopted in this photo of his first Christmas with us but I think he'd made his mind up!
A-frame.jpg
Airborne.jpg
Beach.jpg
Bucket.jpg
Looking up.jpg
Table.jpg
Sunglasses.jpg
Head on knee.jpg
Polpat

Re: Alfie Staffie DOB 05.09.04 -13.03.18

Post by Polpat »

I am so sorry to hear about you losing Alfie....you must be devastated. But you gave him the most wonderful life and will have lots of fabulous memories of your time together. You made such a difference to his life and I hope that is of some comfort to you.
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost Alfie.
What a lovely tribute and gorgeous photos.
Thankyou for loving Alfie and giving Jim a wonderful life until his last breath
RIP Alfie

Xx
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Sooooo sorry to read this, know how adored your Alfie was and how he loved you guys, he chose his family very well and knew the very best of times, thinking of you xxx
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Sending you heartfelt thoughts, what a sad time for you all. Thank you for loving Alfie and giving him a wonderful home. Xxx
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
anne

Post by anne »

Alfie had the most fantastic life with you guys. A life well lived. Sorry to hear you had to say goodbye. So very hard to deal with the loss of such a special friend. xx
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

When you have gifted your heart so absolutely then the true sense of 'Heartbroken' is a very real and desperate emotional state: The pain of loving. I know Colin & Victoria and all who have been in Alfie's life feel heartbroken. I want to thank you all for keeping us updated with Alfie's life; and Allfie's last illness.

Many people know I often speak of Alfie how he arrived with a hanibal lectur muzzle which we used religiously until 1 month on Charlie & I turned around and said Alfie really doeskin need this, his dogs skills are obvious. The only difficultly was he was managing to get out of his kennel door and no one could work out how! Alfie left his mark and then he was off on his Great south downs walk to raise Rescue Remedies profile and to put the plight of Staffies into the public eye. Colin & Victoria were soon rearranging their lives and their parents, and Alfie made it home and a more contented happy boy you'll never meet.

So 3 cheers for Alfie who arose from the ashes and enjoyed life at its best. He is now resting, at Peace and carries so much love forever with him forever...
Chapmania

Post by Chapmania »

So sorry to hear this sad news. Alfie had a wonderful life with you. Thinking of you all. Run free over a Rainbow Bridge Alfie xx

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”