Nevin Staffie DOB 01.12 Epsom

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies_3

Re: Nevin Staffie DOB 01.12 Epsom

Post by Rescue Remedies_3 »

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 by PeterH

Just thought I would pop in and give you a quick update about Nevin.

After a number of initial issues with Nevin he appears to be finally settling down. My other rescue dog Kira is used to him being around and accepts him (although there are a couple of interactions I need to manage still).

I have had the garden fences upgraded to 6ft+ as he bunny hopped over the 5ft fences... They now appear to be high enough to stop getting over them, although he comes across as a bit of an escapeologist who is looking for any excuse to investigate a noise or movement.

He really is a cheeky little chap with a tail that doesn't stop wagging and he loves both animals (foxes and animals with furry tails excluded) and people.

One area I am currently working on is stopping him jumping all over people and trying to lick their face when he wants attention as that behaviour could unnerve people who are aren't so sure of dogs, although his intentions are entirely innocent. Kira appears to be very good at telling him off when he goes too far as well.

Another area I am currently working on is his walking when on the lead, he has a tendency to move all over the place when extended, with the naughty habit of walking and stopping right in front of me...

The last area is he tends to be a tad chase aggressive with Kira when she is running around with toys (sticks and balls). I am working on him chasing her without trying to bite her as she gets nervous when he does it.

Nevin and Kira play a lot together at home and in the garden and Kira is forever licking(preening) him, especially one of his ears.

This leads me onto the one area I am bit concerned about but I am not in a position to do anything about it until the insurance initiation period is concluded. Nevin clearly has something wrong with the right side of his head as his jaw makes alot of strange noises when he eats. I noted a quite a large scar behind his ear.

Kira constantly licks the same ear (he lets her do it and doesn't complain, although when I touch it it is clear that something isn't right as he moves his head away) and he often shakes his head because of his ear. The other day he was moving his ear and all I could hear were some very strange noises coming from it (best example I can give is like ice cracking).

We are starting to wonder if Nevin is deaf in one ear as he doesn't always hear commands when the bad ear is facing us, although that could always be a case of selective hearing...

Once the insurance initiation period is concluded I will take him to the local vets and get it looked at, they are already aware of it.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 by xxlynne

hello1 Thank you Peter for such a detailed update giving us a feeling as Nevin and Kira blossoming relationship and closeness. He is in the right home where he is cherished.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: 06 Nov 2013 by SarahW

Wonderful to read such a good update, this lovely boy has really found a loving home!
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

NevinCrop1.jpg
NevinCrop2.jpg
Nevin Staffy 16/09/04 - 14/06/17

Our dear Nevin passed to the rainbow bridge on 14th June 2017. We may have only had him just under 4 years but during that time he made a lasting impression on everyone he met and we will always consider him one of our closest and best friends.

Unfortunately, he contracted Insulinomia at some point towards the end of 2016, and while an initial operation at the beginning of 2017 gave us the hope that he would have more time, it wasn't to be case as he had an extremely aggressive form of the cancer.

We rescued him from Rescue Remedies on 16 Sept 2013 with him being a very lucky boy prior to us getting him. He was in a local pound being sedated for PTS, effectively having about 30 minutes to live when Rescue Remedies stepped in and saved him.

When we first got him, he liked to bounce around and jump on things, with his speciality being a bit of an escapologist - he would jump over the fences in the back garden. As a result of this we had to increase the fence size from 4ft to 5ft and when that still didn't stop him - from 5ft to 6ft!

As a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he always encountered people with stereotypical views of the breed, but, he was a true ambassador and credit to the breed due to his engaging, approachable and friendly demeanour with both people and other dogs. He was also such a loveable rogue who had a liking for older people and loved spending time in their company, usually bringing joy to their lives, or trying to steal their food.

His usual approach was to stroll up to people wagging his tail furiously, smiling from ear to ear, in the hope he would be made a fuss of. One of my favourite examples of this was how he converted my mum's carer - who was afraid of dogs - to someone who became comfortable in their presence. That was the positive effect he had on people.

As with all typical staff' he hated the rain, wind and the cold. He would often dig his heels in if he felt it was raining too much, or it was a bit too cold or windy.

However, when he did go for his walks he was full of life, having boundless energy even in his advancing years, always inquisitive with a love of chasing squirrels and barking\howling at foxes. His late night walk was usually a howl-fest with half the neighbourhood being woken by it.

He had several favourite pastimes:
1. At bedtime, cuddling up to me and sleeping with his head on my shoulder all night long. This I will miss more than anything else.
2. A love of fox poo, be it either eating it or rolling in it. Many a time we would chase after him when we saw him do it, only for him to get even more excited and treat it like his favourite game.
3. Squabbling with his sister over balls and sticks, and who owned them. Nevin also tended to hassle her to lick and groom him, to which she complied.
4. Love of the garden hose and being sprayed with water (contrary to his pet hates above).

There is one thing for which I will be eternally grateful to Nevin. It is how he changed his sister (Kira) from being a fearful and insecure dog to being an dog who overcame those fears and who is now full of confidence.

As owners, we were blessed and privileged to have been associated with Nevin as he was a truly amazing dog, who sadly was taken way before his time.

We miss him greatly, we will love him always and he will never, ever be forgotten.

Finally, thank you to Rescue Remedies for giving us the chance to be with Nevin.

Peter Mitcham and Family
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Peter what a wonderful write up and celebration of Nevin's life. We are getting his original thread copied over from the old Forum and then his journey in Rescue will be revealed. Yes I so remember the little boy who had no trouble scaling a 6' fence...within your loving care he lost the need to go else where....and settled into his life with Kira. Thank you Thank you really feel for you all it must be hurting dreadful to say goodbye to a treasured soul as Nevin truly was THANK YOU
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lots of love to you ...Run free Nevin at Rainbow bridge [cry.gif] angel13.gif]
Dawn Allen

Post by Dawn Allen »

So sorry to hear that Nevin has crossed the Bridge Peter. I never got the chance to meet you both but I can hear and see from your wonderful words that he meant the world to you. Thoughts are with you and your family and Kira too xxx

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”