Alfie JRT DofB 2013 Hitchen Herts

Dogs that have found their forever home
Hesadevil

Re: Alfie JRT DofB 2013 Hitchin Herts

Post by Hesadevil »

We had a lovely walk on the Common, this morning, with some furry friends.
Teddy.jpg
play2.jpg
play.jpg
common.jpg
I think I've worked out why he came without toys. He doesn't know how to play with humans. He plays very nicely with other dogs. I'm going to have to teach him how to play. We started with a space hopper type dog toy - it's soft and squeaky and he loves shaking it and making it squeak. I had to play with it a bit, throwing it from hand to hand and squeezing it, to grab his interest. Then I accidentally dropped it and he grabbed it and ran off. He'll let it go, but I haven't done much of that. I want him to enjoy playing with it for some time before we move on to fetch and give.
phpThumb.jpg
Last edited by Hesadevil on Mon 15 Oct 2018 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
sweetpea

Re: Alfie JRT DofB 2013 Hitchen Herts

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely to see him with his dog pals...we have had Sid a jack russell. .. from a 12 wk old pup he has never played with toys...he had plenty just has never been interested. ..yet Tom a RR boy jack russell loves his toys love4.gif
Hesadevil

Re: Alfie JRT D theofB 2013 Hitchen Herts

Post by Hesadevil »

sweetpea wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 16:16 Lovely to see him with his dog pals...we have had Sid a jack russell. .. from a 12 wk old pup he has never played with toys...he had plenty just has never been interested. ..yet Tom a RR boy jack russell loves his toys love4.gif
There will be times (not often, hopefully) when we won't be able to go outside, so I really need to be able to exercise Alf through indoor play and play fetch in the garden.
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

Thought I'd already posted these photos of this morning's walk.

Alfie in the sunshine
autumn.jpg
autumn1.jpg
autumn2.jpg
Last edited by Hesadevil on Mon 15 Oct 2018 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

Alfie has really enjoyed his first week at the seaside. He's bonded very strongly with me. Eamonn took this pic on our first day on the beach.
beachalf.jpg

For a dog we were told disliked water, he heads into the sea whenever we get near enough.
alfswim.jpg
He is learning the sit-stay outside and is making good progress providing there are no distractions (seagulls beware).
alfstay.jpg
He's also extremely well behaved when we go out to eat.
Lunchalf.jpg
He's making remarkable progress and is already a part of the family.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely update and photos :goodjob.gif:
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

The Daughter and Son-in-Law came to visit for a family birthday celebration. Son in Law took some lovely photos of Alf,
IMG_0429.jpg
Including a couple with The Daughter, which shows just how little he is.
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
Everyone thinks he's a very handsome chap.
IMG_0427.jpg
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely photos :goodjob.gif: he is very photogenic love4.gif
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

Alfie won the first Facebook Raffle. Thank you very much. I hope the raffles are bringing in more much needed funds.

The Thundershirt arrived on Saturday morning - Alfie not included
shirt2.jpg
Alfie is quite laid back most of the time
shirt4.jpg

so the shirt has yet to be tested under fire.
shirt3.jpg
He seems to like wearing it, but that's the same with his harness. He sometimes scratches when wearing his identity collar, though.
shirt1.jpg
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

Update on Alfie

We took him to the Dog Park https://countryboardingkennels.co.uk/se ... fordshire/ at Baldock this morning. He passed with flying colours. Recall was perfect 100% of the time. The only fly in the ointment was that he took an instant dislike to a Spitz called Sheba, when we were waiing outside the padock, onlead. Sheba showed him her teeth and Alfie responded.

Although I felt it was unfair, we stuck by the rules and any time Alfie and Sheba 'hada rumble' off-lead, I called him back and put him on the expanding lead. It wasn't a serious rumble at any stage, but he was getting the message that rough play was not allowed. Despite the fact that Sheba had similar squabbles with other dogs, she was not placed on time-out onlead.

80% of the 5km walk was off-lead. Alfie explored the tunnel in the centre of the field, and started testing the boundaries (very securely fenced and gated). Every recall was answered. He even went to other people in the hope of treats when they called their own dogs. We're both very pleased with this step forward, as Alfie was beginning to be reactive onlead. We're now members of the walking group which meets every day at 11am.

I'll try to get photos next time. I was concentrating on Alfie 100% today. Here are some from other members.
dogpark.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
countryboardingdogwalking2-300x225.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog-park-walkers2-300x225.jpg
Next step - Six weeks Dog Training class with the Dogs' Trust starts on Saturday.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”