Alfie JRT DofB 2013 Hitchen Herts

Dogs that have found their forever home
Hesadevil

Re: Alfie JRT DofB 2013 Hitchen Herts

Post by Hesadevil »

We had a 30 minute whiz around the Common, this morning. Met two huge retrievers and a lovely female cockapoo, who is alergic to meat.

Alfie then zonked on his daybed - he snores.

Update: Afternoon. Eamonn was out all morning at an appointment with the hospital nurse.
Alfie: Dad came home from the hooman nurse, at last - very exciting. Now taking some me time in my own space.
alfsleep.jpg
You can get this bed from Amazon. They're brilliant for terriers. Alf has two - one in the bedroom, and the day-bed in the sitting room.

day bed You can check the size in the size chart image. This on is suitable for dogs up to 25 pounds weight. Other sizes are available.
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

We bought a new mat for Alfie for the crate we use in the car. There was a small rope tug in the box, which I added to the toy box on Sunday. Tonight, after dinner, Alf sat beside me on the sofa, for a long time, enjoying a neck massage. Suddenly, he jumped off the sofa, got the rope tug, and brought it to me for a game. To my amazement, he responded to the 'leave' command by dropping his end of the tug and stepping back. I threw it, he retrieved it, took it to his bed and gave it a good killing. He then stopped and let me take hold for another game of tug. When I produced Ron's huge old rope tug, Alf abandoned the tiny one for a brief, enthusiastic game of tug, leave, chase, and kill.

blob6.gif] for a big step forward.
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

We had a very exciting day, yesterday.

According to Alf's Vet Card, it was his birthday. I had an appointment from 10.30-11.30, so left 2 sausages for Alf's birthday breakfast. Eamonn reported that Alf watched the car disappear, then climbed up on his knee for a cuddle. A few sessions of 'sit, stay' later, one happy sausage-filled dog went to his day-bed for a nap.

I received a warm greeting on my return, but nothing over the top. After lunch, Eamonn and I took him for his second walk. We went to the playing field that backs onto the nature reserve at Purwell meadows. All was well until Alf stuck his head in the undergrowth, then backed out sharply, shaking his head and pawing his face. He calmed down after a little massage and we continued our way. Something was not right, though. Instead of trotting at the full extent of the lead, he slowed down to a perfect 'heel' pace. Eventually, I noticed a slight limp. We stopped and Alf started licking his left front paw. From then on, he wouldn't put it to the ground. I picked him up and carried him back to the car.

Once home, he lay on the sofa, licking and chewing the paw. I couldn't find anything visually wrong but he was licking it raw. I phoned the vet at 20 minutes to 6. Nurse Karen told me to bring him straight down. We arrived just as the puppy training session started, but were shown straight into the consulting room. Stuart quickly found the spot between two front toes. Alfie had been stung. Stuart was also concerned that Alf's nails were so long that they needed clipping immediately. I didn't have time to say that Alfie hated hated having them clipped. At the approach of the clippers, Alf began screaming. He was so distressed that he climbed into my arms and began scrabbling to escape. Unfortunately, I have very thin skin (due to asthma meds) and was wearing short sleeves. Alfie's nails opened a large gash on one arm. I was rubbing his cheeks and he was beginning to calm down when two nurses came in. Their first concern was that Alf had bitten me - he hadn't. One nurse insisted on taking me away to be treated, and the other took charge of Alf. As soon as I was out of sight, the screaming got worse. I felt so bad. I knew Stuart wasn't hurting Alf, but the poor boy was terrified and his new Mum had abandoned him. By the time my freely-bleeding gash had been treated and dressed, the nail clipping was finished, the screaming had stopped, and Alf was licking Stuart in thanks for the treats he'd just devoured. As Nurse Karen said afterwards, this wasn't what we'd planned for the nail-clipping session (set for two weeks time).

Three things learned from the incident
1. Alf's been traumatised, previously, at a nail clipping session (Nurse Karen had already commented that his quicks are very very long).
2. He's really bonded very quickly with me. There was no growling, no threat to bite, just blind panic and attempt to escape into my arms.
3. Stuart says Alf's teeth are in a bad way, but we will leave that visit for a month or so. (Despite what I was told, Alf does not tolerate having his teeth cleaned, so lots of raw bones for the time being.)

We're having a quiet day today. Walks are confined to pavements in the immediate neighbourhood.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Hope Alfie is ok today ...sid has to go to the vets and have his nails clipped he has to wear a muzzle where he hates it so much ... love4.gif
He will feel much better once he has had a dental ...bad teeth can make a dog feel rotten. .. love4.gif
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

He's feeling much better. We had a game of zoomies-chase in the garden this morning.

He finally met the Terrier Gang on the Common, yesterday morning. We had a gentle stroll, in the company of five dogs (two are called Alfie - that may become confusing). Alf has made a Bestie with a little West Highland White Terrier called Milly. She very kindly shared her rewards for good behaviour. Sorry there is no photo evidence, concentration is all on the dogs, and Eamonn wasn't there to take any.

This is his 'on guard' spot, when the Primary School next door is in action in the morning and afternoon.
alf1.jpg
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely photo love4.gif
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

First lot of pics taken during a walk in the pouring rain.

Alfie really doesn't like the rain. I put Ron's raincoat on him and we managed 15 minutes before he turned around and walked home, almost at heel. Thirty minutes and we were dripping wet. We had our wet weather gear on so I don't know what he was complaining about.
alfrain3.jpg
Heading of in his gentleman's rain jacket. There are cats in there, my nose tells me so.
alfrain2.jpg
I know this way.
Alfrain.jpg
Recall not bad, considering the weather.
alfrain4.jpg
This is new. Don't think I want to go any further.
alfrain6.jpg
Think I'd like to go home now.
alfwet.jpg
I'm all wet, Mum.
alfden.jpg
I love my new den.
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

and then the sun came out ....

A lovely walk on the Common this afternoon. Alf surprised me by responding to the whistle I used to use with Ron.
alfcommon.jpg
alfcommon2.jpg
alfcommon3.jpg
Hesadevil

Post by Hesadevil »

Somehow, I managed to tire Alfie out on our morning walk.

We walked down to the Common (about 1/2 mile)
42416693_10215585483402993_6042156001988182016_n.jpg
past the railway workers cottages.
commonalf.jpg
Alfie did a nice sit to cross the road.

common2alf.jpg
We then walked two circuits of the Common itself, with the local Terrier Gang.
common4alf.jpg
He's now fast asleep in his travelling crate next to my bed.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

It looks wonderful where you are ...Alfie is surely living the good life love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”