Pepper Aust. Shep. DofB 23.06.15 Colwall, Herefordshire

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Re: Pepper Aust. Shep. DofB 23.06.15 Plymouth Devon

Post by xxlynne »

(since returned)
Nina bought the everso lovely Bonnie with her today looking for a new partner. Cora is Nina's daughter and was across from Bermuda so it was a family event and Pepper ticked all the boxes and Bonnie approved!
Pepperhomed.JPG

Our thanks to Louise at the pound for saving Pepper's life and arranging for her to come into us
CoraMc

Re: Pepper (Peppermint) Aust. Shep. DofB 23.06.15 Plymouth Devon

Post by CoraMc »

Pepper is lying at my feet as I write this before her long journey home tomorrow with Bonnie. She travelled well and she and Bonnie are getting to know each other to become the sisters they'll be. Homing photos taken but tech / hotel bandwidth issues not letting me upload just yet. They'll be worth seeing, I promise!!! :smiley-bounce016.gi:
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

Pepper and Bonnie had their first night as sisters, and at one point Pepper got into Bonnie's bed with her with no issues! There will be a period of settling for both yet the earlier signs are great. They travelled to Wiltshire with mum and I this morning and are now heading to Devon without me.

Bonnie has been accepting of Bonnie's exuberance, only letting her know once 'that's enough'. Pepper understood and agreed. She's very affectionate and friendly and will, in time, settle around traffic and strangers as Bonnie gives her confidence 'it's all ok'. Pepper is already looking to her big sister for reassurance.

And so the photos, difficult to get all three looking at me at once!
Sisters together
Sisters together
The happy trio!
The happy trio!
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

As you'd expect, I've been staying close to Mum on Pepper's progress since her homing a week ago. And it's wonderful!
Mum says Pepper is very responsive and already is good at food times. She shows her manners and doesn't barge Bonnie for her food, which could have been a flash point, rather just focuses on her dish. She sits and waits til it's ready for her to eat with good manners.

Mum gave her a good brush yesterday, keeping away from underneath as the spay scar isn't completely healed. We know this hadn't been Pepper's favourite thing but her coat is so thick so it's important to build her trust and confidence so she's in good condition.

Pepper has shown some nervousness and lunging at traffic and some strangers. Again, she is moving forward as she is shown love and patience in situations she finds uncomfortable. Mum has to take her over a busy road to get to the park and was talking to her and keeping her walking. She was fine until a motorcycle made a big noise then she lunged and barked. I distracted her with treats (she knows that word now). I walked her along the roads then back along the road after her walk with no further incidents.

Pepper made friends with all dogs she met, lunged at a male cyclist but again no other incidents. She is already lovely and continues to settle and relax. Mum won't rush her but is settling her into a routine that gentle expands her experiences over time and at her pace.

Such a fabulous girl and here's a particularly adorable photo of her, she sends her love to auntie Lynne and all those who invested in her and made friends.
IMG_5507.JPG
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

Peppermint continues to do so well, getting better at being in traffic and choosing not to lunge as she passes. She is also getting better with strangers as her confidence grows. She remains an on lead dog and is still learning recall while on the lead in and out of the house. She enjoys her walks and has two or three each day. She also is good when left for short periods of time, having no issues with chewing or anything else. What a clever girl!

Mum loves her very much, well it would be hard not to, wouldn’t it? So pleased how well she continues to settle. She’s really landed on her paws!!
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Pepper has come onto our books again as her owner isnt strong and finds it hard to manage Pepper on lead with her other dog and so has been walking them both separately and it is proving too challenging on her life style. Pepper still can lunge but is much improved but wearing a muzzle during her rehab.

She returns to kennels on the 2nd September but now on a fostering footnote until then
sweetpea

Re: Pepper Aust. Shep. DofB 23.06.15 Plymouth Devon Foster

Post by sweetpea »

How very sad love4.gif
anne

Re: Pepper Aust. Shep. DofB 23.06.15 Gatwick Kenns

Post by anne »

It is sad to see Pepper back in rescue but I was delighted to have the chance to share a walk with her this morning. I got a lovely friendly welcome in her kennel and she was patient while I adjusted her harness. Pepper was beautifully behaved today, walking with a loose lead all the way. Having said that, we had a quiet walk, no traffic to worry about and we didn't pass anyone on our walk. I sat down in the sunshine at one point and Pepper lay down very close for cuddles. Pepper was also quick to befriend and share cuddles with Sarah as we returned.
DSCF6491.jpgpepper.jpg
CoraMc

Post by CoraMc »

Pepper was on great form yesterday. On entering her kennel and playing with her toys, Pepper was happy to play throw with her bone and tennis ball, cuddling into my legs as I clipped on her leads. Although excitable to exit the kennels, she's light and easy to manage.

Once away from kennels, Pepper was a dream. Sarah walked Oscar behind us and Pepper kept a close eye on him, being easily distracted with a whistle or calling her name. She loves to explore and keeps her eyes on everything that moves but is very in tune with you as you walk her.

We took a route through the woods with no traffic or other people or dogs so Pepper remained calm. On getting closer to kennels, she became more excited. She lunged when people or dogs got too close but was fine when they were at a distance.

Easily excited and attentive to all, I sense Pepper will thrive in a quieter setting when all the things she finds exciting can be held at a distance til she settles. She's very affectionate and loves to cuddle in to you and roll around showing you her belly.

She's a lovely girl and so ready for her forever home, looking so healthy after her stay away from kennels over the summer.

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG
anne

Post by anne »

I had another lovely walk with Pepper this morning. She is so affectionate and adores having cuddles. We only passed one dog on a lead today and Pepper gave him and his owner a half hearted bark as she trotted past. As it was a hot day we stopped for a paddle. Pepper loved splashing about in the stream.
DSCF7039.jpgpepper.jpg
DSCF7041.jpgpepper.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”