Post by Elliesmum »

Keeping everything crossed for you Hugo :goodluck.gif:
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
Jan Case

Re: Hugo Weimaraner x Staffie DofB 12.16 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Jan Case »

Geoff walked handsome Hugo on Wednesday whilst I walked Frankie and Louise walked Buster and Anne walked Monty, so it was a very social outing, with all the boys together and enjoying it. Monty was a bit overwhelmed occasionally by having the other boys company, but Hugo loved it. He does like being in the lead, or side by side with his canine buddies, obviously worried about missing out if he is at the back!! He was really pleased to see Geoff and to know he was going out for a walk, Hugo is young and energetic and really needs a good daily walk which he can’t always have in Rescue, so he was very bouncy to begin with doing his Tigger impression, but he settled very quickly as usual, and Geoff kept up a good pace with him which had us girls scurrying along to keep up with our canine buddies!!!
rob_w

Re: Hugo Weimaraner x Staffie DofB 12.16 Partridge Green Temp Foster

Post by rob_w »

The lovely Hugo has been with me since Saturday, just so he can have a proper explore of planet Cat before hopefully going off to his new forever home.

Hugo is 95% graceful, lithe, intelligent gun dog and 5% derpy, clumsy, kissing staffie. He has energy levels that would put the Duracell bunny to shame and is the first dog I've had that can leave Coco in the dust (much to her disgust!). He has utterly impeccable dog manners, both when out on a walk and around the home with Coco (although he has tried to make baby Hugo's with her twice!). He can be aloof and standoff-ish with new people, as is the norm for working dog breeds, but once he gets to know you he will happily let his staffie side show and give you some impressive kisses. He is very well behaved and clean around the house, he sleeps all night in his crate. Although he wasn't keen on the crate on Saturday night, by Sunday he went straight in there when I said it was time for bed. He travels well in a crate in the back of the car, doesn't make a sound while he is in there, especially if you let him take a ball in with him. As others have said, a ball is Hugo's absolute favourite thing in the world and he can guard these from other dogs. If you want to confuse Hugo, give him two balls at once and watch him try and work out how to carry them in his mouth at the same time.

Once he gets to know you, I feel he is utterly dependable he is so well "squared away" emotionally that there is no feeling that he will be unpredictable in a situation. He has a sharp brain and needs that to be stimulated and exercised as much as the rest of him does, he loves a filled Kong to chew on and working out how to get all the bits out. He quickly picks up routines and knows what my car looks like and when we normally leave to go on a walk.

I'm aware that I need to balance this comment with some negatives about him to counter all the gushing love above, so I was trying to think of something on our walk today that I could put. The only things I could think of were that he can go full Tigger when he sees his harness and lead come out and that he has a huge and quite dry tongue, so when he goes on a kissing spree it can get to feel a little like someone is rubbing warm sandpaper on your face! Both of these are very small prices to pay for such a wonderful dog.

As for his interactions with Alfie, it's all been fairly quiet so far, Hugo has seen him a couple of times and been alertly watchful, but has easily been diverted a way with a simple call. I'll be scaling up the interactions over the coming weeks.

On his first day here Hugo decided that he liked spending time on my daughters bed:

But the next day he happily curled up on the sofa

and that night was slightly less curled up and more sprawled...

Hugo also likes bricks (it was a hot day, so I guess the salt in it was attractive)

If I thought I could keep up with his energy and activity requirements I would be filling in his adoption papers myself right now! As an example of his energy, this post has taken me an hour and a half to write, simply because a head with a ball in it's mouth keeps appearing on my lap whereupon the ball is deposited and stared at until it is thrown again.
Jan Case

Post by Jan Case »

Dear Hugo, obviously having a wonderful time xxx
RosC

Post by RosC »

I think hugo is an amazing dog so pleased to see him showing everyone just how fantastic he is! Can't wait to see him in his forever home love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif and for the record he can fit not 2 but 3 balls in his m 0093.gif outh at once thumbs.gif 0002.gif]
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Hugo is with me to see how his cat skills are, but I couldn't resist posting this video of a little raggy battle between him and Coco. The cushion and the fleece are on the floor because they are what they both tried to have a tug of war over before I threw the raggy to them!

Doglady

Post by Doglady »

How did Hugo do with his cat skills ?
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Hugo's family are travelling from Glasgow today to meet him Paws crossed [0128.gif]
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

xxlynne wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 11:53 Hugo's family are travelling from Glasgow today to meet him Paws crossed [0128.gif]
Gosh thats a long way to come ....Good luck Hugo :crossfingers.gif:
xxlynne

Re: Hugo Weimaraner x Staffie DofB 12.16 on route to Glasgow

Post by xxlynne »

All great news which Rob will share

Hugo is now the on route to Glasgow to hopefully settle with Lorraine, Kevin & Peter plus his cats

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”