Freddie (Alfredo) Spanish "Terrier" DoB 19.12.14 Kingston

Dogs that have found their forever home
aloepeter

Re: Alfredo Spanish "Terrier" DoB 19.12.14 Kingston Foster

Post by aloepeter »

To celebrate four weeks of Alfredo's surprising and delightful company we went to kennels for a bit of a run in the paddock ...
zm07.JPG
"I'm no couch potato!
zm01.JPG
zm02.JPG
zm03.JPG
zm04.JPG
zm06.JPG
zm05.JPG
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Right folks, we've done it ... Alfredo and I have slept together! Yes, he felt confident enough - or cold enough - to spend last night on my bed. He tactfully stayed near the foot on one side of me while Harpo and Zeppo huddled on the other (H near my heart, of course). When I woke in the night, in a fit of coughing, all three grunted their disapproval ... then squeezed even closer. At least I never have to think about hot water bottles! Though I'm still mystified by the old one Alfredo found and "skinned" the other week- removed the furry cover without harming the bottle or the cover - leaving it all neatly on my bed. 0002.gif]

Yesterday we multi-tasked by walking to Norbiton for the pet shop's own brand complete food. Alfredo was a big hit and was made a present of the rawhide chew he sneaked while I was stopping the boys from marking the straw bales. He was only part way through when we left and was very good about me taking it - "Mine!" - with a promise he could have it when back at base. Alfredo has eased up a lot over guarding high value items now that he realises he won't loose them permanently. love4.gif
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

P2040004.JPG
Alfredo is becoming more connected. This isn't quite as simple as it sounds because Alfredo, bless him, is not a simple dog. One of the wonderful things about him - as far as I'm concerned - is his enthusiasm for life. Every morning I'm greeted by a dog who seems so pleased to see me and start another day together. Then he really, really, please, please, please, needs to go outside and check that the garden is just as he left it the night before. Alfredo spends quite a lot of time outside, often just sitting - calm but alert - surveying his domain.

If this all sounds a bit "semi-detached" it's balanced by a gentle, affectionate character and a willingness to learn the important stuff. Alfredo only needed telling twice to "Wait!" before I open the front door when we go out for walks; now it's automatic. It goes without saying that walks involve Harpo and Zeppo too. Having Alfredo along has increased walking time by about 50%: he takes "Stop & Sniff" to a whole new level. On the other hand it gives us all a chance to really savour the walk and see familiar things in a new light.

This morning we walked to Surbiton, along the very busy riverside, for a coffee morning at a dog-friendly café. Alfredo can sometimes be wary of groups of more than four or five people but he did very well today. Travelling longer distances with Alfredo is easy because he's very good in the car. He now shares the large crate with Harpo. It was Harpo's idea to jump in first and Alfredo is too dignified to object. It means Harpo stays quiet and isn't travel sick. Since it's impossible to have H & Z together in a crate without a spat this is very welcome.

So, we're progressing at Alfredo's pace with, I hope, a light touch from me. It means being alert to every chance to be quietly affirmative, and open to every positive move he makes to be part of the pack, because Alfredo is very sensitive to being "switched off". Yes, I do have to remove a lot of plant material and potting compost from the conservatory floor after the "How dare that squirrel run over my roof!" episode but I probably needed to dump half of them and repot the others anyway (though possibly not this early in the year). Alfredo is keeping me on my toes ... and I like it!
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Wonderful update ...thanks for being such a wonderful foster dad and H&Z for being good foster bros 0093.gif :goodjob.gif: :thanks.gif:
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

I do love reading your updates! They are brilliant and so in-depth .
Brilliant to know Alfredo is enjoying life outside kennel hype bless him
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Thank you for your kind comments. I forgot to mention that Alfredo has been making efforts to absorb British culture. While helping me move a load of old books he dipped into Trevelyan's "English Social History". Well, actually, he had a nibble at the spine. No serious damage and the damp animal glue must have smelt more interesting than it tasted because I later found the surface of the water bowl covered in tiny pieces of paper ... presumably from Alfredo's beard.

There's no malice in Alfredo, just a huge sense of fun and joy (and the occasional faraway look of sadness). Yes, Alfredo, that is a pair of socks and I need to wear both of them, thank you! So, having steered through the delaying tactics - Alfredo now knows all the signs of "leaving without dogs" - and three pairs of mournful eyes, I wait for the chorus of disapproval as I reach the front door. Harpo and Zeppo will be barking from the kitchen but Alfredo will be howling ...

With Alfredo the wolf is very close to the surface ... and it's adorable love4.gif
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Another week full of Alfredo! Had my bed decorated with my stockpile of old work boot laces - he could have been bored - just like party streamers. Hugged a quiet Alfredo who must have eaten something that didn't agree with him: placing hand, where indicated, on poorly tum. Lived with the 24 hour sugar rush from the boy - fully recovered - downing a small(ish) packet of chocolate digestives in record time. Enjoyed a quiet early morning coffee back in bed today with all three dogs post-breakfast and sleepy on the duvet: Alfredo snuggled up with his head on my chest, eyes closed and making little "purring" noises. Long walks in the winter sunshine ... :smiley-chores002.gif:
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

I love your updates Peter they always cheer me up ... :goodjob.gif: love4.gif
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Thank you, Sweetpea, here's another one for you ... Alfredo turned me out of bed this morning. You have to understand that it was, of course, for my own good. Sneaking back under the covers for second coffee, having fed dogs, was all very well - meant Alfredo could snuggle with the person - but there comes a time when the Kingston posse has to head out. That big nose pushed behind my neck didn't have immediate effect so Alfredo dived, noisily, under the duvet and mouthed my ankle. He looked so crushed when I said, "No!" that I just had to get up. Yes, it's possible to bond with Alfredo but it's very much "a negotiated settlement" thumbs.gif
xxlynne

Re: Alfredo Spanish "Terrier" DoB 19.12.14 Kingston

Post by xxlynne »

So happy to see Peter and Pat exercising Alfredo at Gatwick today...I had had a hint but when I witness the family bonding I so understood Alfredo was part of the family and is equally loved by Peter and his friend Pat Alfredo equally loves them both. He spends time with Pat in North London and mainly with the Boyz Harpo & Zeppo. Its amazing how he seems to have allowed the boys to relax their relationship together They no longer are highly dependent on each other then are happily chilled with their new brother and life is calmer

Fantastic surprise to see Peter & Pat with Harpo Zeppo & Alfredo photographed as a truly happy unit

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”