aloepeter

Re: Benny Jack x DofB 2007 Kingston upon Thames Foster

Post by aloepeter »

No news about the camera I suppose?
Aha! Look what I found ...
P1030596 (2).JPG
P1030594.JPG
P1030592 (2).JPG
Benny rather likes the sun. He also likes being with me so it's sometimes been a bit of an effort to get him back in the cool of the house while I'm working. It's hard to insist because it's lovely to see him really relax, flat out on what's left of the grass. Sunbathing - like so many things, I suspect - is something Benny probably hasn't been allowed to do before.

These pictures are now a month old and Benny isn't wearing the half-check collar all the time now. He's relaxed enough for me to take it off immediately we come in from a walk.

Benny's also been allowed, by H&Z, to resume sleeping on my bed. This makes for very warm nights (Benny snuggles up really close) and some time in the middle of last night I was woken by what sounded like World War III. I yelled for quiet. Three rather stunned little dogs were quiet. Yes, we were all a bit overheated and under-walked. Benny is learning that he's not held responsible, he won't be singled out for punishment, he won't be hurt and he doesn't need to over-react. It might not sound like a big step forward but - having seen the absolute terror in Benny's eyes when he had a small "accident" round at Pat's place and the way he tried to hide - I feel relieved that we were all back together so quickly. Benny is a little star.
P1030594 (2).JPG
terrierlover65

Post by terrierlover65 »

Sorry Roger!!!! please share my apologies with Harpo and Zeppo not Harpo and Groucho.....don't know what's up with me at the moment. When I taught I used to have the names of 30 children off pat by the end of the first day of term!!

Wonderful to hear that Benny continues to thrive in your care, Peter.

Do you think that he will easily make the transition from being a member of his current pack to perhaps being an only dog? Would he be able to adapt to being top dog or does he think he is that already?How do three little dogs manage to get onto your bed at night. Do you have a divan or do you strategically place a stool or something to use as a step for short legged canines? You have Benny's DOB or rather YOB as 2007.Is that a Vets' assumption based on a physical assessment? Am I coming across as a nosy old *************etc etc!! You are right though he is a star
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Well, terrierlover65, taking your questions in reverse order ...

Benny's age is from his chip (and his vax card) so he is now ten. As everyone who walks/fosters/homes small terriers for RR will tell you, ten is hardly middle aged and many can easily expect to live for another five, six or more years. Benny is fit and his stamina is building steadily.

As a fit little dog - weighing a bit over 5kg - Benny is quite capable of jumping onto my bed. Like H&Z he practically has vertical take-off!

The reason for letting them all sleep with me is actually tied up with your question about Benny possibly being top dog. They want to sleep with me because I'm top dog; any other arrangement is untenable. It's all part of bonding. Once bonded the dogs are working with you not against you. Step by tiny step, Benny is gaining a sense of security with me and he's quite capable of sensing if someone else will make him feel secure. So ...

... How will Benny cope with moving from here? Well, like every foster with RR, he only moves when the right person (or family) appears. They will need to love him even more than I do and be able to "read" him correctly. At that point they will be doing , quite naturally, what makes him truly happy.
Last edited by aloepeter on Tue 27 Jun 2017 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
terrierlover65

Post by terrierlover65 »

Thank you for a very comprehensive reminder of what inviting a terrier to share your life entails. It is seven years since our last dog died and one forgets how they become part of the warp and wet of ones life. Our last two terriers had been harmed by unloving 'owners' before they came to us but we always felt hat the power of love and forgiveness were the best tools in the toolbox, and, of course, the right sort of consistency.

I am going away for three weeks to visit my sister,Pat, and her family.A long standing arrangement. She lives in 'Anne of Green Gables' country. I hope to speak to you when I get back. Best wishes to Benny and the rest of the pack from terrierlover65
CharlotteRA

Post by CharlotteRA »

What a sweety. Is Benny still in foster in Kingston?
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Is Benny still in foster in Kingston?
P1030597.JPG
Yes, Benny is still here in Kingston. After seven months he is a card carrying member of the HZB Union (aka "The Krays"). Benny is now much less fearful of life in general. Having Chico to stay has focused Benny's attention on what he wants, what he really, really wants ... So, I can now tickle his tummy ... and brush him. This is an important step, not least because he's going through an extended moult. The underfur that's coming off looks very old which suggests he's starting to relax after a long period of "living on his nerves". I feel very privileged to know Benny.
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

Benny has now gained his Camping Badge ... after surviving two nights and three days with three people and four other dogs (H&Z, Sofia and Lilya Cavalier) in high winds and torrential rain somewhere near Exeter. So, sunlit runs on Dartmoor or the beach were out and a lot of time was spent in the tent or in the car. Benny has returned a somewhat confused but more adaptable dog. Here we are in the pod at our end of the tent, some time around 06.30 ...

"Dad, is it still raining?"
P1030661.JPG
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

After walking Zeppo with Biscuit today I though I would walk "The Little Ones" - Benny and Harpo - on their own. Evidently a hastily convened Branch Meeting of the HZB Union had called for "One Out, All Out!". Management, faced with this degree of solidarity, met their clearly stated demand ...
hzb01.JPG
hzb02.JPG
terrierlover65

Post by terrierlover65 »

Does that mean if one only wanted to adopt one, one would have to adopt all three!!!!!! Sending my love to all of your dogs but most of all to Bennyxx
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Good luck Benny xxx
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”