Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
Christinetully

Re: Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Post by Christinetully » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Oh Shoura! Thank you for understanding and loving our little Fredds 'warts and all'! He's having such a great time with you - Reading the updates brought tears to my eyes - he is so special and adorable even though you can never take for granted that he's 'over' his past terrors. I will always remember, undoing, mending and putting back Fredds broken harness (he'd chewed through it).I was terrified of him getting out of it and escaping! It was a VERY long and slow process and I always felt it cemented our relationship. I too am hugely impressed by your THREE longline/extending lead management! thumbs.gif
I hope you have a great weekend with your family. I'm sure your plan for meeting on neutral ground and walking together, in combination with Jim's excellent advice above for meeting dogs (!), will be a good start. Shortly after Fredds came to Gatwick I had my niece staying with me on my day for walking at the kennels. I know she's female but Fredds was more nervous in the early days. My niece met us at my car and accompanied Fredds and me on a good walk, we were chatting away (she made no eye contact or approach to Fredds) and at the end we sat down on the grass in the sunshine. She didn't look at or speak to Fredds whose curiosity got the better of him. He cautiously went over and sniffed at her, turned on his back and had a good wriggle on the grass! Keep the pictures and updates coming - it's a real joy to see him snuggling up to you and exploring with your other two! love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif
Mind you, I'm surprised he didn't fancy a dip with your others! He loved paddling with me in the streams - always swam if he was in a deep enough place - I narrowly avoided joining him on many occasions! LOL xx
Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had! :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Fredds and Tiggy had a set-to earlier today...Fredds had dug up a manky old bone in the garden and had been guarding it....he got cross when I shut them inside while I removed the bone and he and Tiggy had a punch-up! No harm done and they waited side by side for their dinner 10 minutes later and were sharing the sofa later on 😂😂
C7142B43-FC8C-43E6-87BF-89DCE77DC9E2.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:02 pm

For the first time since he’s been with us (3 weeks today!!) Fredds went into a stream with T and S 😄. He’s obviously much fussier than they are when it comes to choosing where to have a dip!! He didn’t stay in long though, but he did put his head underwater!

Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Fredds is the only dog I've ever known who will go completely under water, especially if there be a fishy there.
Who knows may be he'll catch you a nice trout, if he does he'll most likely eat most of it.
Fredds likes a swim, rather than a squirt from a shower.
It's really great to hear Fredds is having fun and adventure with you and your pack.
Top marks Shoura.

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Well! Interesting evening! My sister and brother in law came over and we all went out for a walk before they came to the house. Fredds very unsure of my BIL at first on the walk but settled down quickly. Once back at the house Fredds did a lot of growling and approaching/retreating but not too much barking, but he stayed out of the way most of the evening and watched anxiously from the kitchen. When my BIL stood up to leave it all got a bit too much for Fredds who got a bit upset with more loud growling and some barking.... I managed to distract him with some treats and put him in the kitchen while sis and BIL made their exit and calm was restored.... Poor scared little dog, what’s been done to him to make him like this???
So hopefully Fredds will get used to my sister and BIL as they are reasonably frequent visitors, and things will be even better next time they come over!
Fredds is relaxing now and chewing his favourite rug on the sofa!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 am

Bless him ...have you got a stair gate /dog gate that you can put up on their next visit just so fredds can see whats going on but keep everyone safe ...and maybe get your BIL to give fredds lots of treats but not look to at fredds ..... :goodjob.gif:

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:17 am

We shouldnt always think dogs have had a dark past because of their behaviour. ..our Sid (jrt ) an unsold working pup has had a lovely life no harsh treatment or words ...weve had him from 10 weeks and he is very similar to fredds in his behaviour we cannot do anything with him without him being muzzled and then he still wants a chunk out of us 0002.gif] we just love him for him although not always easy!!!. .some terriers are just wired differently love4.gif

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Sweetpea! I’d love to hear your tips for dealing with challenging little terriers!!! I do have a stair gate and will get my BIL to give him treats through it next time he’s here...

Aloepeter, I like the idea of putting a collar and lead on him while being in the presence of new people in the house, will also try that next time sister and BIL are visiting....

Strangely, Fredds doesn’t seem to object to the vacuum cleaner! Whereas my other two, who are generally pretty well behaved, have always hated the vacuum cleaner and have been trying to kill it for the past 13 years 😂😂
Go figure!!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 am

We just keep a close eye on sid ...with visitors as he can have a wagging tail one minute and have a growl the next...he has always warned us by growling first ...i would be careful about putting a lead on fredd when he is feeling nervous as he may feel he cannot get away if he needs to ...Thank you again for understanding his quirks .... thumbs.gif
I look after an elderly terrier and he still attacks my hoover. ..its hysterical to watch 0002.gif]

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 am

Happy Birthday Fredds!!
:smiley-bounce016.gi:

5 years old today! [0128.gif]

Here’s to much happiness in the next 5 years! love4.gif love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”