Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Dogs that have found their forever home
Pegmilly

Re: Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Post by Pegmilly »

I have a wire haired jrt who has always suffered with itchy skin. After wasting money on expensive treatments from the vet with little improvement, I brought some cod liver oil. It hasn’t cured Daisy’s skin - but it has made a huge improvement - and it’s only £8.00 a bottle. I let her lick it from the spoon - she loves it!!! Word of warning if you do try this - Fredds poops will be runnier and his need to go more urgent until he gets used to it. Another thing which I think has helped is after washing my dogs bedding and my own - I then rinse it all again. Hope this helps and if it doesn’t - at least it’ll only cost you £8.00. Xx
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Ive just put my lot on coconut oil one teaspoon daily in food ...their coats look amazing especially victor who is rough coated his flaky coat has disappeared. ... love4.gif
Polpat

Post by Polpat »

My dog has just finished a course of Apoquel which is for allergic dermatitis. He was itching like crazy and had made one area on his leg quite sore. He is JRT sized and had one 5.4mg tablet twice a day for 10 days then once a day after that. It seems to have worked and he has stopped the itching - and none of the side effects you might get with steriods.
heleny

Post by heleny »

Wow - just back from two weeks in France and have just now caught up with Fredds and his progress. Thank you Shoura for persevering with this great little chap - you are what he so needed - you, Tigger and Socks. All these things - itchy skin included - obviously take time to settle. Thank you again for giving him this time and this space to settle - he will be so worth it. thumbs.gif
Shoura

Post by Shoura »

Hello all you Fredds fans!

He is very well and being a very good boy! I keep being amazed at the things he’s obviously never encountered before and finds strange and alarming! Yesterday he was growling at the toilet lid which was slowly closing!! He’s still not used to the noises the dishwasher makes and lots of things on TV startle him particularly loud noises....

I need a bit of advice regarding managing encounters with other dogs while out on walks. He is desperately keen to meet and greet them and to get up close and personal (and boy is he a strong lad!!!) and I’m not sure whether it’s safe to let him do this. Up to now I’ve stopped him from getting close and have moved out of the way of other dog walkers but I’m wondering if I’m being a bit too cautious?? He seems super-friendly and his tail is wagging so is it OK to let them interact? Thoughts please, what did you do when you were walking him?
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

The times I met total strangers when walking with Fredds and we all walked along together as a group was quite often.
He has always been a welcoming dog to others( of the calm type).
Sometimes it can be tricky when coming across another dog for us owners not to tense up but we must avoid doing this as the dog we are walking knows at once if our mood or heart rate changes. It is possible to bring out the worst in a dog simply by emotional transfer.
I normally welcome other dog owners with a cheery good morning, whilst keeping a safe distance from other dogs. I note my breathing and smile without showing my teeth. I do not look at other dogs eyes, I look above their head to their tail. When I get closer my dog is kept behind me and I present myself sideways to other dog and owner, being a man a dog can find a forward approach threatening. It's normally best to keep leads far enough way so no contact can be made until owners have chatted for a bit, in this time talk about weather or how nice the other persons dog is being mindful to avoid eye contact with other dog. It also gives you time to work out the other dogs mind set. If all dogs seem to be calm during this time embark on a joint walk. If there is excitement, nervousness or aggression bid them farewell and move on. Not all dogs will get along but when they do it's great. Let calmness lead you and you must lead the dog to calmness.
Shoura

Post by Shoura »

Thank you Jim for your advice! Wise words which I will endeavour to put into practice!

Fredds had a visitor today! Lovely Helen who brought him here two weeks ago and who lives very near by, came over for a cuppa and chat 😄. Fredds was delighted to see her and I think she was pleased to see how happy and relaxed he seems! thumbs.gif thumbs.gif
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

I'm very pleased that Fredds saw Helen as this lady is an important person to Fredds and is positive link to his past. Shoura has come along way with Fredds and Helen can help with his adaption to his new life. I'm very proud of all the progress Shoura and her pack have made with Fredds. I'm also sure that all who've known Fredds feel the same way.
Keep doing what you are doing so well.
There's a great future for you and your pack, we are all here should you need us.
terrierlover65

Post by terrierlover65 »

Hello Shoura I was trying to contact Peter.... and somehow I have found my way to you. So I'm sending my very good wishes to you and yours. I am so delighted for Fredds. I have been following his fortunes for what seems like ages hoping that he would find somewhere wonderful to live and someone wonderful to live with. Fredds you've hit the jackpot!........

I actually came online to get a bit of practical advice! My Benny(adopted just under 10 months ago) has a tiny bald patch just above his bbe :smiley-bounce016.gi: autiful. heart shaped nose that has caught the sun. I was wondering if Peter, or any one, has any idea what to treat it with if anything.....hm?
Best wishes to all
Terrierlover65
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

I would put a bit of sudocreme on for now and then use children's sunscreen when he goes out ....the waterproof one thumbs.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”