Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
Shoura

Re: Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 3:27 pm

That’s weird! It looks like I posted that last post but I obviously didn’t! How can that have happened??

Chapmania

Post by Chapmania » Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 pm

That was me Shoura but I have no idea how it happened either! Just for your information you walked Rolo yesterday too 0002.gif] I think the Gremlins have struck!! xx

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Dinner time!
F0DC340C-BB9D-4D54-A8C9-5049EBCAA22E.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 pm

Dinner time
1605519A-948C-472D-95AA-5E185B65895E.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 7:46 pm

And a nice walk in Hollybush wood (Standen) where Fredds and Socks found a pile of boards to hop onto 😄
92B45F35-3A0E-4690-9DFE-1EA5EB5F2718.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 pm

We’ve had a nice day today 😁

Yesterday was less good, Fredds was out of sorts, desperately itchy and didn’t want his dinner, took a small bit of it and “buried” it in the rugs on the sofa then growled at T and S if they approached, was stressed by the thundery weather, kept jumping on me when we were in bed and there was lightening/thunder, snarled at Tiggy (also v upset by thunderstorms) and didn’t want her on the bed, so eventually I put him downstairs for the night as I hoped it would be less stressful for him to be away from the other dogs....

This morning I found that he’d sicked up a great lump of stuff which looked like lots of grass and bits of the blanket he’s been chewing on the sofa! He’s a much happier dog today and enjoyed his breakfast! Seems a bit less itchy than yesterday too! And we’ve just had a nice walk in Gravetye woods 😄

(I’m becoming a real pro at managing 3 extending leads at once LOL! One attached to Fredds’s harness and to a belt round my middle, a second one in one hand attached to his collar and the 3rd in the other hand attached to Tiggy’s collar! Luckily Socks is a very good boy and can be walked off lead provided we’re not near roads or sheep!)

Re Fredds’s itching: I’m assuming it’s a combination of stress and allergies. I’ve got an Adaptil diffuser now and I’m feeding him a hypoallergenic diet so hopefully it will settle down in time. It did improve after Jim washed him with T-gel shampoo too!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 pm

I expect the weather didnt help Fredds it has been so humid ...dogs feel change much more than us...Tom gets allergies and itches in the summer months and has 1 piriton daily when he needs it ...maybe he would be more settlrf settled in his own space at night ....keep up the good work xxx

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Wed May 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Yes I’ve been giving him Piriton.

I think I will let him sleep downstairs at night for the time being. I was feeling guilty, thinking that he would feel left out if he didn’t sleep on the bed with T and S and me but when I put him downstairs last night he didn’t whine or make a fuss so maybe that would be better all round...

RosC

Post by RosC » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Anyone will tell you I prefer the larger dogs but I have always had a soft spot for Fredds for some reason. He is quite a character and I am so pleased he is home with you Shoura. You are being so understanding with him. I wouldn't worry about him being on his own overnight. He has slept alone for so long that to have the days with you and his new doggy family is such a bonus for him at this stage, so if the nights can come later once he has fully settled I am sure he will be very happy. Some dogs just like their own space. My dog never comes upstairs (has never tried to and as we have very steep stairs I have never tried to encourage it due to poor mobility in her back legs) but all our foster dogs do so I feel guilty but she never seems to mind. You are doing an amazing job thumbs.gif

aloepeter

Post by aloepeter » Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 am

You're doing a wonderful job … there's absolutely no need to feel guilty! Fredds sounds like the sort of independent terrier who has to make his own decisions - which can, of course, shift and change - so just leave the door open and expect "a bump in the night" when he arrives on the bed at 3.00 a.m.

I envy your extender lead skills! If you ever need an alternative it's worth searching for 120cm (4ft) leads (especially if they have a metal ring in the handle loop). Perfect for allowing busy terriers to be busy but still under control.

Wire hair seems linked to dry skin. A little extra fat in Fredds' diet - like oily fish - might help as well as removing any dead old coat. Now, there's a test of your new relationship … :havefun.gif:

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”