Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
Shoura

Re: Fredds JRT DofB 13.6.13 East Grinstead

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 3:27 pm

That’s weird! It looks like I posted that last post but I obviously didn’t! How can that have happened??

Chapmania

Post by Chapmania » Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 pm

That was me Shoura but I have no idea how it happened either! Just for your information you walked Rolo yesterday too 0002.gif] I think the Gremlins have struck!! xx

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Dinner time!
F0DC340C-BB9D-4D54-A8C9-5049EBCAA22E.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 pm

Dinner time
1605519A-948C-472D-95AA-5E185B65895E.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Mon May 28, 2018 7:46 pm

And a nice walk in Hollybush wood (Standen) where Fredds and Socks found a pile of boards to hop onto 😄
92B45F35-3A0E-4690-9DFE-1EA5EB5F2718.jpeg

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 pm

We’ve had a nice day today 😁

Yesterday was less good, Fredds was out of sorts, desperately itchy and didn’t want his dinner, took a small bit of it and “buried” it in the rugs on the sofa then growled at T and S if they approached, was stressed by the thundery weather, kept jumping on me when we were in bed and there was lightening/thunder, snarled at Tiggy (also v upset by thunderstorms) and didn’t want her on the bed, so eventually I put him downstairs for the night as I hoped it would be less stressful for him to be away from the other dogs....

This morning I found that he’d sicked up a great lump of stuff which looked like lots of grass and bits of the blanket he’s been chewing on the sofa! He’s a much happier dog today and enjoyed his breakfast! Seems a bit less itchy than yesterday too! And we’ve just had a nice walk in Gravetye woods 😄

(I’m becoming a real pro at managing 3 extending leads at once LOL! One attached to Fredds’s harness and to a belt round my middle, a second one in one hand attached to his collar and the 3rd in the other hand attached to Tiggy’s collar! Luckily Socks is a very good boy and can be walked off lead provided we’re not near roads or sheep!)

Re Fredds’s itching: I’m assuming it’s a combination of stress and allergies. I’ve got an Adaptil diffuser now and I’m feeding him a hypoallergenic diet so hopefully it will settle down in time. It did improve after Jim washed him with T-gel shampoo too!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 pm

I expect the weather didnt help Fredds it has been so humid ...dogs feel change much more than us...Tom gets allergies and itches in the summer months and has 1 piriton daily when he needs it ...maybe he would be more settlrf settled in his own space at night ....keep up the good work xxx

Shoura

Post by Shoura » Wed May 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Yes I’ve been giving him Piriton.

I think I will let him sleep downstairs at night for the time being. I was feeling guilty, thinking that he would feel left out if he didn’t sleep on the bed with T and S and me but when I put him downstairs last night he didn’t whine or make a fuss so maybe that would be better all round...

RosC

Post by RosC » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Anyone will tell you I prefer the larger dogs but I have always had a soft spot for Fredds for some reason. He is quite a character and I am so pleased he is home with you Shoura. You are being so understanding with him. I wouldn't worry about him being on his own overnight. He has slept alone for so long that to have the days with you and his new doggy family is such a bonus for him at this stage, so if the nights can come later once he has fully settled I am sure he will be very happy. Some dogs just like their own space. My dog never comes upstairs (has never tried to and as we have very steep stairs I have never tried to encourage it due to poor mobility in her back legs) but all our foster dogs do so I feel guilty but she never seems to mind. You are doing an amazing job thumbs.gif

aloepeter

Post by aloepeter » Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 am

You're doing a wonderful job … there's absolutely no need to feel guilty! Fredds sounds like the sort of independent terrier who has to make his own decisions - which can, of course, shift and change - so just leave the door open and expect "a bump in the night" when he arrives on the bed at 3.00 a.m.

I envy your extender lead skills! If you ever need an alternative it's worth searching for 120cm (4ft) leads (especially if they have a metal ring in the handle loop). Perfect for allowing busy terriers to be busy but still under control.

Wire hair seems linked to dry skin. A little extra fat in Fredds' diet - like oily fish - might help as well as removing any dead old coat. Now, there's a test of your new relationship … :havefun.gif:

Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly » Thu May 31, 2018 2:12 pm

I have a wire haired jrt who has always suffered with itchy skin. After wasting money on expensive treatments from the vet with little improvement, I brought some cod liver oil. It hasn’t cured Daisy’s skin - but it has made a huge improvement - and it’s only £8.00 a bottle. I let her lick it from the spoon - she loves it!!! Word of warning if you do try this - Fredds poops will be runnier and his need to go more urgent until he gets used to it. Another thing which I think has helped is after washing my dogs bedding and my own - I then rinse it all again. Hope this helps and if it doesn’t - at least it’ll only cost you £8.00. Xx

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Ive just put my lot on coconut oil one teaspoon daily in food ...their coats look amazing especially victor who is rough coated his flaky coat has disappeared. ... love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”