Betzy Staffie x DofB ?2013 Ascot Berks

Dogs that have found their forever home
BetzyTony

Re: Betzy Staffie x DofB ?2013 Ascot Berks

Post by BetzyTony »

Fran

Post by Fran »

Loved the video. I wonder what she was like when the ground was covered with snow 0002.gif]
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Betzy continues to progress. I can let her go up to dogs, reasonably certain she’ll just "talk" to them and no longer snap at them. Her recall is still terrible but I have been letting her off her lead 100 yds from home and if I keep talking to her she’ll stay more-or-less with me. I’m having some success getting her to give me her toys but only in exchange for a treat, she still hasn’t worked out that if she gives them to me she’ll have the fun of chasing them when I throw them. A mention for the Kong Frisbee in the video which she has been chewing for several weeks with no sign of damage - unlike a tennis ball which lasts a few minutes. She also gets satisfaction out of "killing" it like a rat :)

(We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac where the kids play in the street so there are no worries about her playing fetch on the front lawn.)
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

Lovely to see Betzy and looking so well too. :goodjob.gif:
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

A real breakthrough :) Betzy's been getting better and better with other dogs (though she's still a bit "full on" when she approaches them which even larger dogs find a bit worrying) and I've found a local dog walking group which seems to have rounded things off nicely. She enjoys their company enormously and as long as she's at the front she's in less of a hurry, though still keen to turn back and cause havoc with her lead! I would love to let her off her lead to run around playing chase with the ones that do that but I'm not confident that it wouldn't get out of hand - I don't necessarily think she'd fight them but she might cause trouble with her overenthusiasm - and she still has very little recall (the last time I let her off her lead she stayed with me for a while but then bolted off to the other end of the finishing straight at the racecourse, coming back about 5 minutes later looking at me as if to say "Did you want something? I heard you calling but I had somewhere to go.")
BetzyWithDogWalkers_JRT.jpg
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

All your hard work is definitely paying off... woo.gif] well done to you guys and to betzy ...
Have you thought about finding a secure place to let her off and get her muzzle trained for when she is offlead just to be safe .....all of mine are muzzled whilst offlead as they tend to run and nip each other ... 0093.gif :goodjob.gif:
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Betzy's "Gotcha Day", a run round the racecourse wearing her new collar with her friends, almost all of it off-lead until she led a puppy astray and the two of them went running off, then home to a pig's ear and a lie in her favourite sun spot in the garden, getting up every so often to seek shade. She also has a new chew toy which she tried to convince me I really wanted and should chase her to get. Now lying asleep, dreaming, woofing at intervals and occasionally kicking me :dog_running-186.gif:
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

Happy Gotcha day Betzy and family. :havefun.gif:
dymphnae

Post by dymphnae »

So great to see her settled and really happy. Thank you for updating her fans!
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Mixed news: I was walking her the other day, she just gone up to say hello to another dog when she started yelping in pain and her back legs weren't working. It was all very confusing but she was sitting down and seemed to be holding them out straight, in pain for several minutes. I rang my wife to pick us up and we took her to the vets but Betzy was fairly recovered by then and the vet couldn't find anything wrong other than she could see she was walking a bit stiffly. She gave us some painkillers and told us to keep an eye on her. Betzy doesn't seem bothered but although she still hurtles down stairs she is struggling a bit going up them and can only clamber on the bed rather than leaping on as she always has. She is not keen on being lifted though, preferring to struggle. Once on the bed she can jump off without a care in the world. She still goes out for walks though the day after her back legs did collapse once.

The good news is that she's overcome her dislike of water and regularly goes for a cooling splash in the pond in the nature reserve near us (apologies for the shaky video)

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”