Podge Staffie DOB 01.11.09 - 12.10.19

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
johnfowle

Re: Podge Staffie DOB 1.11.2009 New Romney Foster

Post by johnfowle »

Thank you, Sarah, for sharing your photos of Podge with other members of the "Forum".

Podge is remarkable and really loves life. Her tail never stops wagging and, although she still has a really bad bout of kennel cough, she still trots around the garden with Kingsley, Pablo and Jackson....and eats her own meals within seconds of them being put on the floor so she is ready to finish off anything left in any of the other bowls. (No, I have not separated her from the others because of her kc, but none of the others has caught it, which amazes me....any ideas????). Mark, the vet, is doing marvels with her....many would have given up on her, but not Mark....thank you!
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge is still with us down in New Romney and continues to trot around the garden sometimes by herself, but more frequently accompanying one of the others who make up the Mob. Mark, the vet, seems to think that her Kennel Cough is more likely to be Bronchitis as the others haven't caught it. She still has a dry cough and Shaz has suggested that she is given Benilyn to replace the Tixylix which I usually use. there hasn't been any improvement yet, but I will persevere and see if it is effective.

She continues to enjoy her walks around the lanes after she has eaten her meals which she does with great gusto!!

I have no concerns for her at the moment and, with the warmer weather, I hope she will continue to enjoy her time here.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Hi John, this might be useful info in managing Podge's cough
Obviously, any identifiable sources of airway irritation should be eliminated from the dog’s living environment – including dust, airborne fumes, perfumes, carpet cleaners, air deodorizers, fertilizers, pesticides, cigarette smoke and smoke from fireplaces or wood-burning stoves. Anti-inflammatory medication (such as oral or inhaled prednisone or other corticosteroids), oral cough suppressants and/or bronchodialators (either oral or inhaled) can be quite helpful in relieving the dog’s discomfort by reducing the frequency and severity of its coughing bouts. Antibiotics are available if an underlying bacterial infection is identified. Weight loss is extremely important if the affected dog is obese.
Exercise is particularly important, as it helps clear the secretion present in the airways, thereby making it easier for the dog to breath. However, exercise must only be implemented gradually, as it can also cause excessive coughing. Additionally, a balanced diet will help keep the dog fit, thus improving its breathing, attitude and exercise tolerance.
Watch for excessive coughing and call your veterinarian immediately if it persists, as it may lead to a spontaneous loss of consciousness (syncope).
The article also suggests walking with a harness rather than a collar to avoid putting pressure on the throat.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Thank you, John, for the advice. Podge does have a daily walk round the fields by the canal, as well as her regular trots around the garden....I will try the various suggestions you make after the current medication has had a chance to work.

But, as I have had said previously, the fact that Podge is still with us, and enjoys her life, is itself a miracle.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Well, what can I say???? Podge is well beyond her "heat", almost clear of her Bronchitis, and Lynne is now talking about her being vaccinated and, possibly, spayed as well. That was something which was never "on the cards" when she first arrived in rescue and only serves to underline what a remarkable girl she is proving to be. And she does look really good....lovely shiny, glossy coat, a great shape and weight, full of fun and wants to play with all the Mob. Today,she went out into the garden with our new boy, Maddox. They were really good together, although Podge tended to be a little excitable and Maddox was rather frightened.

All in all, Podge is one amazing lady!!!
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I visited John, Sylvie and the mob last week and got to catch up with Podge. She is such a character, great fun to be around and she looks in better condition every time I see her! Her coat is glossy and her personality just shines through. A wonderful girl who would make a fun addition to any family!
Such a happy girl!
Such a happy girl!
Working with Pablo to get a treat
Working with Pablo to get a treat
They both love their treats
They both love their treats
The double act works....
The double act works....
With her other friend John's dog Kingsley
With her other friend John's dog Kingsley
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
bettypinches

Post by bettypinches »

I'm lucky enough to be one of John and Sylvie's dog-walkers in New Romney, and took the opportunity to grab a few pics of the beautiful, cheeky gal Podge.
Just like Yoda - small in size but very wise! She has the ears too...
Just like Yoda - small in size but very wise! She has the ears too...
Podge3RR.jpg
She is an absolute delight - so happy to see everyone and very affectionate (especially if she can sniff out a treat or two) :D She looks a different dog to when I first met her - she's beautiful and glossy, quietly confident and very perky! That tail doesn't stop wagging.
Attachments
Podge2RR.jpg
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Yes! Podge is still with us....she's had a few days when she's been rather poorly....off her food, just staying on the settee, not wanting to go out, had a mild fit but, guess what???? Over everything , except her cough which she can't seem to shake off.

He's playing with Maddox at the moment, with Maddox using him as a hurdle, and then Podge chasing after him trying, unsuccessfully, to catch him.

Podge is one amazing lady, well looked after by our remarkable vets in Westerham.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge is still with us in New Romney and, with the sole exception of her poor lung function, she is in really good health. I took her to the local vets earlier this week and she now has a bronchiodilator which widens the tubes in her lungs and gives her more air. I can't say that it has improved her breathing a great deal, but it is better and she does chase up and down the garden without too much difficulty and always enjoys her walks....brief as they may be....about 15 minutes.

I am really pleased with the way she now settles down on the settee rather than wander round the room as she has for the last six months.

She is very affectionate and follows you around like a shadow .But Podge isn't a lap dog and, when she is not on the settee or in the garden, you will find her on the floor right under your legs.

Podge would love to have a forever home of her own, preferably as an only dog....she likes to taste all the dogs' food and, if given the chance, makes sure the bowls don't really need to go into the washing up bowl.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

It was lovely to catch up with darling Podge last week when I visited John. She is a real character and just adores people. I love this fun girl with a zest for life that is so infectious that she makes you see how wonderful life is. It would be fabulous for her to get her own forever home where she could be someone's centre of attention!
p2.jpg
p1.jpg
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”