Podge Staffie DOB 01.11.09 - 12.10.19

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
johnfowle

Re: Podge Staffie DOB 1.11.2009 New Romney Foster

Post by johnfowle »

Podge went off to the vets again yesterday to check on her breathing and condition of her lungs. She came to me with a dreadful attack of Kennel Cough about two weeks ago and, remarkably, that has now disappeared completely. (I give my dogs Tixylix to reduce the soreness in their throats, and it really does work.) Laura was very pleased with Podge....still quite "weezy". but a big improvement....I am sure the sea air is partly responsible, and there's quite a lot of condensation in the kitchen (Podge lives in the room next to the kitchen, which may help her breathing)....what do you think????

She is such a happy dog with a tail which never stops wagging....so much so sometimes that its very tip does occasionally bleed very slightly because it hits something hard. But that is nothing to worry about, thank goodness.

She loves meeting the other residents and, now that she is over her KC, she will mix with them more frequently.

She is a sweet little girl, enjoys a tummy rub when her legs go "nineteen to the dozen" as if she is running upside down!!!

You are missing out on this delightful lady if you overlook her. She is so affectionate and keen to please....she would be ideal for an older/less active lady or gentleman as she is quite content with just a few minutes of exercise.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Oh Podge! She has just come back from her first twenty minutes of walking round the lanes....she did wonderfully well and is now cooling off in the garden just mooching around. Little by little is she improving. Good girl!!!
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Today I took Podge to the vet who saw her three weeks ago and gave her about five weeks to live. He could not believe how she had shaken off her Kennel Cough so completely and the improvement shown in her overall condition and especially her lungs.

He likened her lungs to those of coal-miners who suffered from silicosis, but was "amazed" how her lungs appeared to have repaired themselves to some extent. Mark has reduced Podge's daily medication and wants to see her again in four weeks time.

I have said elsewhere how happy Podge is, just trotting round the garden with a rotating tail and on her brief walks around the lanes....she still hasn't ventured to the coast yet.....she has that joy to come.

She would love to share somebody's sofa and lick you to death or roll onto her back and ask you for tummy tickles....any takers????
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge is such a happy little girl, trotting after her ball in the garden but not returning it (!!!), or spending time with the dog walker on the sand dunes. She expects all dogs she meets to be friendly and never reacts when they aren't....just walks away as much as to say "Oh well, I don't mind!".

It would be wonderful if somebody could find space in their home for this sweet lady who loves people and is making such good progress after receiving such a poor prognosis from the vet.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge is truly amazing. You've read her thread and will remember the prognosis she was given at the beginning of January....well, she now has two half hour walks a day and, whilst it is true she comes back breathing quite deeply, even at the end of her walks she is still ahead of her walker and keen to carry on.

Her weight is increasing and the majority of her ribcage is now well covered with flesh....she gets four meals a day and it appears to be paying dividends.

Today she become a full member of the "Mob". She now spends her time in the main sitting room, along with Jackson, Zena and Kingsley, and for the last half hour she has been nestled down beside in me in an armchair. She is very affectionate and only Jackson had a quiet growl at her when she invaded his space. But she didn't mind and continued to wag her tail.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I got to meet the delightful Podge yesterday. She is a very happy, welcoming girl who met me like an old friend and loved fuss and a good cuddle. She is a gorgeous looking girl too who happily mixed with the other dogs at John's. She is ready for her forever home!

I tried to get some photos but all she wanted to do was come and say hello to me!
podge1.jpg
Just look at that face!  Those eyes!
Just look at that face! Those eyes!
Looking regal
Looking regal
Looking cheeky!
Looking cheeky!
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge is sharing the settee with Kingsley on one side of her and Zena on the other at the moment....all of them snoring away having been fed and spent a few minutes in the garden.

Podge chases around with Kingsley when they go out first thing in the morning and finishes up everybody's breakfast if she is given the chance. But eating so much does have its down side....she produces an enormous amount of gas....cor....open the windows!!!!

She has a very long tongue which doesn't fit into her mouth....it is so sweet....a little pink tip always sticking out about an inch....or has she used it so much with face washes???? You can't move without her being right behind you expecting a treat.

She is really affectionate and will be an ideal companion for somebody who is not very mobile.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

I believe Podge is as well and fit as she will be. She does have good days....she does have awful days....but don't we all???? Currently she is on heat and Kingsley is taking a keen and amorous interest in her....I just hope that his neutering was a complete success or we are likely to be having puppies....we just have no more room to isolate either of them other than put one or other of them into the garden, but Kingsley barks and chases the sea gulls and aircraft flying overhead and Podge barks to come in!!!! So it's a case of being totally observant, both day and night.

But this apart, she continues to appear to be quite well, other than the occasional bout of kennel cough which only seems to last a few days. She has the occasional fit, but we were aware of this and the vet says that their frequency is at "an acceptable level", otherwise she trots around the garden or cuddles up close to you on the settee or in an armchair and is always very affectionate and has a waggy tail.

This might sound a trifle negative, but Podge is so much better than when she first arrived and has put on so much weight that, only this morning, one of the walkers who hasn't seen for a few weeks, didn't recognise her....she is now a lovely "stocky staffie".
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Podge follows you around like a shadow, always hoping for a treat She has got "proper" kennel cough now and it seems to be most apparent after she has drunk some water....but it doesn't seem to worry her too much and she still chases after Kingsley when they go out together. We have been sleeping together for the last five or six days and, surprisingly, her cough has not been worse throughout the night which, apparently, is usually the case.

She is totally clean in the house now....when she first arrived we were shampooing her carpet every day....and she hasn't had a fit for about three weeks which, of course, is very good news.

Podge is a lovely lady and I am so pleased that she has amazed us all and seems to be very happy with life. Thanks to our remarkable vets she is well at the moment.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I caught up with Podge on Wednesday when visiting John & Sylvie. My goodness she is looking well but silly me only got one decent photo of her, when she was tucking into lunch! She is such a happy, carefree girl. She looks younger than when I last saw her, must be the sea air!
Look how shiny her coat is!
Look how shiny her coat is!
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”