Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Reading

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
xxlynne

Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Reading

Post by xxlynne » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Current Status: Homed
Dustin89.JPG
Dustin needs a supportive family to offer time and tolerance to allow their new dog to settle. NB Our Rescue asks owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters, as dog law changes place dog's lives at greater risk.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Known background: Found emaciated, without chip, or collar and unclaimed within council pound. We neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. Lived for a year with a family with 9 year old child successfully. Family returned Dustin as he began conversing nextdoor to 4 barking dogs who were never walked. Dustin managed to break the fence where he had damaged it 6 months previous when unsupervised and got a dog who put their head through: THe dog survived but need intense vet care. Dustin was good around dogs, so we will work with him to regain his confidence. Dustin was in Gatwick boarding kennels

Visit Dustin's thread for daily updates, lots of pictures and videos. Please click to submit Online Application We will match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle, please remain open we successfully home 350 dogs per annum. We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes.

***PLEASE HELP: We have to ask for £175 donation at the time of adoption, as we can't support so many dogs without funds. We have no state sponsorship and exist on the goodwill of the public and our supporters. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life.
Dustin91.JPG
Dustin90.JPG
Dustin's Thread below: Watch steady progress within our loving care.
Original Referral: This is the entire male staffy, white and tan in colour. Quiet small in size and underweight. No collar, no chip. No reports of him being missing. Will send you the dog lost ID once I have reported his details Regards, J dog warden
Dustin2.jpg
Dustin22.jpg
Dustin3.jpg
From his first stay
Dustin6.jpg
Dustin5.jpg
Dustin4.jpg

Mark Brentwood

Re: Dustin Staffie DOB TBAss North London Pound comes this w

Post by Mark Brentwood » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Poor little fella. What is wrong with people !!
Onwards and upwards from now on for this little guy.

lurcher girl

Post by lurcher girl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:39 am

Lovely markings ........xxxxsafe now boy where you will be loved and looked after :smiley-gen132.gif:

staffylevi

Post by staffylevi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:26 am

We see so much of this working within the rescue world but pictures like this never cease to tug at the old heart strings.
Dustin lad, we'll get good food in ya' belly and meat on them there bones and love; well, that will come in abundance and this is only the beginning of a brand new life for you little man. Welcome home! :smiley-gen132.gif: :smiley-gen132.gif: :smiley-gen132.gif:
Doin' it for the staffies ...

Mark Brentwood

Post by Mark Brentwood » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:10 am

Lovely words of encouragement.

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 am

Staffylevi, beautiful words to a gorgeous boy. Seconded by you and oh I wish people would not treat their lovely animals in such a way. It always brings tears to my eyes. Bless you little Dustin you are indeed safe now xxxxxxx

Ladylou

Post by Ladylou » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:57 am

Safe now, and will be loved. :smiley-love029.gif: :smiley-love029.gif: :smiley-love029.gif:

xxlynne

Re: Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 pm

We see so much of this working within the rescue world but pictures like this never cease to tug at the old heart strings. Staffylevi
We see emaciation and severe neglect tooooo much of this working within the rescue ...

Dustin currently is quite confused and seems to want to be anywhere but where he is. He has obviously not had a caring family he perhaps unconsciously is seeking, trying to find that calm, but ofcourse he has to find that within himself. He had put a little weight on since these pictures a week ago which was great to see but yes he is still too thin. Today he was concerned travelling in my crate and reactive to Oscar in the passenger seat for the first 5 mins which seemed longer. Dustin then tried to extract himself from the crate and managed to get one bar out and tear my rain coat by pulling it through. He was confused as to what all this meant where was he going what was happening. In the vets he was settled and we had no problems to inject him with his pre med ready for his Gen An. Dustin was neutered, chipped and 1st vax'd and when I arrived with other dogs to vaccinate 4 hours later I expected to hear him howling but no all was quiet. Dustin was waiting for me when I put the last dog back in the dog mobile and seemed very assured to see me and fully awake. He needed to be lifted again to get him into the crate in the back seat and was less agitated and didnt react to Yogi being in the front seat.

I spent time with Dustin in the paddock which runs along side another paddock with a great little Jack in there. Both met along the fence and I was able to gauge his novice instincts with dogs. He also was meeting 4 other dogs at the end of their kennels. He met nicely nose to nose, a little fascinated to be up close with another dogs, some very inept instincts of play were visible but he didn’t know the play bow, his receptive body language came more from his 'happy' tail and repetitive visits amidst his 'don't really know what to do but look on with fascination’. Pleased to see this as he screamed when he saw a dog being walked when he came out of the pound block as we were preparing to get him into the dog mobile. Early days Dustin Early days.

In the kennel I immediately saw him look to the ceiling assessing if he could get out of his kennel and yes he could. so we moved him into a kennel will a lid on and at the moment he needs a method to stop him escaping through the door on exit or entry. As I have said confusing time for Dustin he is lost in space...early days he will find himself in our loving care.

Hoonercat

Re: Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Dartford W/E Foster

Post by Hoonercat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Dustin has settled surprisingly well since arriving early afternoon. Charlie gave me a hand walking Dustin with Tia this morning :thanks.gif: , it took about 20 minutes for Dustin to stop barking at her but there was no aggression there, just a very unsure Dustin. Being near another dog appeared to be a new experience for Dustin, even when he had the opportunity to sniff Tia he wasn't sure what to do and would back away if she looked as if she was heading in his direction. But he did settle, gave Tia a sniff, then another, them lots of sniffs, then barked and barked whenever she got too far in front of him. In the end we had to put Tia back on the lead so Dustin could keep close to her, for the sake of our ears :D I was hoping that Tia would tell Dustin off just to see how he reacted, and towards the end of the walk she snapped at him with a bit of a growl and he was really good, paw up in submission and no reaction at all.
Unsettled for the first 10 minutes in the car then he re-arranged the dog bed and fell asleep. Once home Dustin made it quite clear that he definitely isn't one for cats :shock: before doing the usual 'this is mine' marking, though his house training has been excellent since. A big lunch then it was time to see how he settled in. I'd expected Dustin to be a bit much for Tia, as he had shown at kennels that he was quite gushing over her once he'd gotten over his initial concern. To begin with he did try to show his love for her a bit too much, and got told off by Tia quite a lot. And he was persistent, quite impressive given that he was only neutered yesterday, but when I told him firmly 'No' he left Tia alone. A few more telling-offs from Tia and Dustin has left her alone now for most of the afternoon, he is a quick learner :D
Out on our early evening walk and Dustin was desperate to be with Tia as much as possible. She was off-lead and he was on the extender, but whenever she got away from him he would cry softly and pull to catch up. At one point she went out of sight and he made a right old racket until she came back :( Dustin has got a very varied vocabulary, from a rather loud bark to a pigeon coo to a squeaky toy. The pigeon coo is his frustrated/sad noise, while he saves the squeaks and barks for when he is unsure about something. He had a few good runs with Tia in the field without any over excitement on his part, he seems to be playing it safe and following Tia's lead closely.
As his photos show, Dustin is underweight and obviously food is a big deal to him at the moment. He's already sniffed out the dog food cupboard and had his nose in my jacket pocket where I kept the treats :D But he is good with food, when I give both Dustin and Tia a treat there is no snapping or trying to get at Tia's treat, he waits patiently for his turn. The same with dinner, he sat and waited until I put Tia's bowl down first, despite his obvious eagerness to eat. He knows 'sit' and 'paw' and has already shown that he's getting the hang of 'stay'. But only when food is on offer :mrgreen:
Dustin does follow me around the house (as all dogs do on their first visit) but he's not demanding at all. As I type he is asleep on the sofa, and has tried to sleep through the afternoon but we had to go out to collect Chelsey and Luke from school (both got a lovely welcome from Dustin in the car).
Tia is very relaxed around Dustin, it's unheard of for her to share the sofa with a new male within a couple of hours of him arriving, let alone one who tried to mount her :shock: so he's obviously doing something right despite his inexperience.
I do think that Dustin has the potential to be very trainable. In fact as he knows the basics, we're going for some advanced training this evening, where he will learn how to slob out on the sofa while watching the first game of Six Nations Rugby. Looking at him now, lying on his back with his legs in the air, I think he'll be a natural :D
walk1.jpg
walk2.jpg
toy1.jpg
toy2.jpg
toy3.jpg
toy4.jpg
sofa1.jpg
sofa2.jpg
sofa3.jpg
sofa4.jpg
sofa5.jpg
Dustin was also kind enough to help me change the bedding this evening. Well, when I say 'helped'... ;) He rolled around on the half-made duvet cover and had a play mouthing session with my hands (gently) before getting under the still not made duvet and falling asleep :x .
bed1.jpg
bed2.jpg
bed3.jpg

Hoonercat

Re: Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Dartford W/E Foster

Post by Hoonercat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”