Huckleberry Hound! DOB 11.12 Partridge Green

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes

Re: Huckleberry Hound! DOB 11.12 Partridge Green

Postby Debbie(tarakisha) » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Rob
Thank you so much for giving Huckleberry a chance at happiness thumbs.gif We adopted Rosie from RR in June and have 2 cats ourselves. Take it slowly with intros, little and often worked well for us ( now we have both Rosie and Arthur sleeping on the same sofa )and it's worth reading tips on introducing dogs and cats, which can be found on this forum under the heading - Dogs Rehomed. Good luck and thank you :thanks.gif: thumbs.gif
Debbie(tarakisha)

Postby Chapmania » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:01 pm

:goodluck.gif: Huckleberry. You can do it! thumbs.gif xx
Chapmania

Postby Robw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 am

Day 2/3 update for the Huck.

I feel like the UN peacekeeping force at the moment. Mainly this is Alfie being very, very put out by the new house guest. Huck ignores him until Alfie growls or hisses at him, which he really doesn't like. I have managed to get them as close as 4 feet apart before calamity occurs! I think it will take some time for them to come round, but progress is there, albeit slow!

On the first night with me Huck slept on my bed with me and woke me up with a shower of kisses at around 6AM, so we got up and did an early short walk, I had forgotten the joy of seeing the sunrise...

Later on in the day we went to Pets at home and Huck now has a nice new bed with a comfy cushion, he still wasn't happy with travelling in the car, but was considerably more settled than before.

After pets at home we went to Southwater and had a good little walk with lots of sniffing. He was impeccable when meeting joggers, other dogs and children. He has calmed considerably from the jumpy/licky greeting he was giving people on the first day. He does seem to want to get in other people's cars though, which considering how much he dislikes car journeys is amazing. I have noticed one bad habit he has when greeting other male dogs, and I would be interested if people who have walked him before have noticed this, in that he goes straight underneath their hind legs and tries to lick them in a way that I am sure is not appropriate for underage viewing!

We also had a little paddle, but I don't think he liked how cold the water was!

We sat for a minute in the sun so he could drip dry and took a selfie

When we go to the end of the walk we saw that the cafe sold doggy ice cream, so being the big softy that I am, I got him one

In the evening we went for a very short walk and stopped off at my local pub, who being on the Downs Link are very dog friendly, and he was very well behaved but I have noticed he really doesn't like being out in the dark even with streetlights or a torch, he is much more hard work on the lead.

Huck was very good and slept in his own bed all night last night, he didn't wake me up till gone 0715. To give Alfie a break we went for a little walk first thing this morning and again he was very good walking along the main road and ignored all the rush hour traffic and people, was much more interested in just sniffing everything in sight.

We also found some very inappropriate mushrooms...

One thing I did notice is that towards the end of the walk he was limping slightly on his hind left leg, it was like he was twisting his hip in a slightly awkward way rather than being anything on his foot, again I would like to know if anyone who has walked him before had seen this?

My main concern for him staying with me now is his separation anxiety, he is VERY clingy and follows me around like a shadow, I am hoping that as he becomes more confident that he is safe and that I am not leaving him for too long and will be coming back this will start to ease off. He also doesn't seem to be very food motivated at the moment, he has not eaten much at all since he has been with me and has often refused a gravy bone. I've also got a few toys for him and a beef nylabone, but he really doesn't seem interested in anything apart from one of my sons old footballs which he attacks and chews then throws around (the below is an animated gif, if you click it, you can see a bit of what I mean).

I've got a new 25-50m long lead for him and a new harness and collar so tomorrow he is going to have a very long run around with my kids in the park, and he is also going to meet some more family members, so if people aren't bored to death of seeing his pictures I will do another update tomorrow.
Robw

Postby Pegmilly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am

I'll never, ever get bored of seeing Huckleberry updates and pictures.....so keep them coming pleeeeease. I've only seen Hucks do the hello sniff but I've always kept his dog meetings short and sweet - purely because he's always been more interested in the owners and he does have a tendency to just want to give people cuddles - and I'm not sure random people that we've met would be quite as receptive of them as I was, bless him. I found he really was more settled after a few days. The first couple of days he followed me every where but after a few days he barely moved off the sofa unless it was dinner time or walkies time. I know it's hard because he's so lovely, but if you can just try not to give him too much attention if he's following you about - he'll soon get bored and realise us humans aren't that interesting after all (at least I'm not). He ate like a horse when I had him but I must confess to totally spoiling each dog I take on holiday, and cooked him roast chicken, bacon, sausages etc etc (I'm bowing my head in shame :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:). However, I know he preferred dry biscuit to having it all mixed together - maybe try that. I'm really hoping he settles with Alfie and vice versa. I personally cannot thank you enough for giving Hucks this opportunity - he is a very special boy to me. Your pictures are wonderful to see - he looks so content. Give him a huge hug from me please and thank you again. X
Pegmilly

Postby Pegmilly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 am

Just thought of something else - he likes the window down a little in the car. I had his seat belt quite tight as he's a fidget bottom but loose enough for him to stick a bit of his head out of the window. He travelled pretty well like this. He was excited in the car but I just let him be a loon for the first 5 minutes without actually driving anywhere. Xx
Pegmilly

Postby Debbie(tarakisha) » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Rob, Alfie and Huck
Real boys house eh 0002.gif] Lovely to read your update......sounds like things are going well. I am more than happy to share our experiences of positively introducing a dog to cats if you so wish? Feel free to email thumbs.gif
Last edited by Debbie(tarakisha) on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie(tarakisha)

Postby Robw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Pegmilly wrote:I'll never, ever get bored of seeing Huckleberry updates and pictures.....so keep them coming pleeeeease.

No problem with that, I will keep them coming as long as interesting things are happening, I'm sure he would want you to see his new collar and harness!

Pegmilly wrote:I've only seen Hucks do the hello sniff but I've always kept his dog meetings short and sweet - purely because he's always been more interested in the owners and he does have a tendency to just want to give people cuddles

Hmm, interesting, with me he is much more interested in the dog than the owner, although he will go up and greet them he has been much less bouncy with the pedestrians and dog walkers we have met, he has only jumped up when people have made a proper fuss of him and I've had plenty of time in those cases to warn them that they might get drowned in doggy slobber or find his front paws on their shoulders.
Pegmilly wrote:He ate like a horse when I had him but I must confess to totally spoiling each dog I take on holiday, and cooked him roast chicken, bacon, sausages etc etc (I'm bowing my head in shame :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:). However, I know he preferred dry biscuit to having it all mixed together - maybe try that

I've noticed the love of bacon, unfortunately for him, I love bacon more(although I do relent and give him a bit, I mean....those eyes....)

The one thing he will eat without fail is Alfie's cat food, I am not sure if this is just to be contrary or if he genuinely likes it. I have tried him on Webbox Natural wet food and also the Wainwrights Grain Free dry, he wouldn't touch the wet food at all but he does eat the dry food although I get the feeling he isn't enjoying it that much.

Pegmilly wrote:Just thought of something else - he likes the window down a little in the car. I had his seat belt quite tight as he's a fidget bottom but loose enough for him to stick a bit of his head out of the window. He travelled pretty well like this. He was excited in the car but I just let him be a loon for the first 5 minutes without actually driving anywhere. Xx

Yep, I learned that he likes the window down on the way back home from collecting him, when he starts to sneeze from getting the wind up his nose I find it difficult not to laugh at him. I also got a bungee based seat belt restraint for him, so he doesn't get as tangled up and can still move around. When we came back from Southwater he was so tired that he fell asleep sitting up with his head against the window, the comical thing was my son does exactly the same thing in the car!

Debbie(tarakisha) wrote:I am more than happy to share our experiences of positively introducing a dog to cats if you so wish? Feel free to email

Thank you for this, I have dropped you an email.

Pegmilly wrote:I personally cannot thank you enough for giving Hucks this opportunity - he is a very special boy to me. Your pictures are wonderful to see - he looks so content. Give him a huge hug from me please and thank you again. X

I couldn't not choose him after the very intense face washing he gave me, then having to sit on my lap on the way back from the cat test because he hated being in the crate so much. When he settles down I am more than happy to bring him to visit or for you to come and see him if you want? I can see how special he is to you and wouldn't want to take him away from that. Obviously that offer is also for anyone else who walked him and would like to see him again as well, just let me know via email rob AT robwebb DOT net (obviously replace the AT with an @ and the DOT with a . and remove any spaces) and we can sort something out.
Robw

Postby Pegmilly » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm more than happy you've taken Hucks away but in the nicest possible way. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to see Huckleberry again - thank you, but I will wait until he's settled and fully bonded with you. Looking forward to the Huckleberry fashion parade pics thumbs.gif
Pegmilly

Postby Robw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Day 3/4

So another day of playing peacekeeper dawned

After a short walk this morning we headed off to Brighton again to get my kids, where Huck showed Sam the meaning of kisses

And then decided to flatten their mum (Jaimme)(this picture should probably have an 18+ certification)

After that we all took a flying visit to Asda where Huck was incredibly good sitting in the foyer with middle daughter (Georgia), despite the hustle and bustle and a very loud Salvation Army band playing

When we got back in the car, Huck showed Georgia his special method of removing make-up, she was not convinced that this was a good idea

Have you put that shopping in the boot yet?!?

Jaimme decided that after her special kisses from earlier that Huck deserved a new raggy

Huck showed Sam even more kisses at nanny's house

And Grandad Roy provided some of the best scratches Huck had ever had, to the extent that he was actually closing his eyes and falling asleep

After my parents we went to the local park and tried out the 50m lead and his favourite football, Huck really got his zoomies on and had a great time tearing about like an absolute lunatic, no images of the zoomies in action because I was too busy dodging high speed dog and 50m of lead that was moving at near supersonic speed. However I do have a before zoomies

and a very tired post zoomies

So tired in fact that Huck fell asleep in mummy Jaimme's arms on the way back from the park

When we got back to Jaimme's, my eldest was back from work and gave Huck a nice red ball to play with. This lasted approximately 20 seconds

Still very, very tired on the way home to Partridge Green

But had enough energy to walk along to the pub so my and Sam could watch the Arsenal vs Watford game, Huck decided selfie time was actually lickey time

But he was able to provide Sam some consolation about the final score

And then very tired cuddles on the sofa

Robw

Postby Sarahk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Huckleberry is having the time of his life blob6.gif] blob6.gif] blob6.gif]

I could not be happier for this amazing boy thumbs.gif :thanks.gif:

His happiness makes my happy tears come on love4.gif
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Sarahk

Postby Elliesmum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Omg I'm blown away with this latest update and wonderful photos. What a great family Huckleberry has! Lucky boy. I do hope you can work things out with the cat though blob6.gif]
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs.
Elliesmum

Postby Pegmilly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 am

Heartwarming photos - Huckleberry must think all of his christmases have come at once. What a wonderful time he's having - thank you. Xx
Pegmilly

PreviousNext

Return to Dogs Rehomed