Zippy Patterdale DofB 16.06.16 Crawley

Dogs that have found their forever home
Jim Thomas

Re: Zippy Patterdale DofB 16.06.16 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Jim Thomas »

Zippy welcomed me with his normal cheery wags and licks, so off we went to the truck. On the way he spotted it was raining and today the rain tempered his excitement for a walk somewhat (at the start)
However after treats, hugs and meeting Helen y. Sir Zippy became all brave again hence we swaggered forth gallantly into the dark enchanted woods and down to the river of fear.
We stopped at Zippys favorite shrimp fishing spot (which has dried up at the moment) but then a large moth moved and the Brave Sir Zippy's lightning reflex's and his fighter pilot reactions, defended me from a killer moth the size of a baby pterodactyl. I was very lucky as surely the monster could have flown away with me and that would have been my lot after all I hadn't packed my parachute.
Brave Sir Zippy coughed slightly as he licked his lips. During the torrid ensuing battle Zippy had devoured the flying monster. I believe the moth may have been a bit powdery on the palate so mouth watering treats were issued, much to Zippy's favor. He even gave me one of his best smug grins.
Next we had to cross the bridge of courage, which was guarded by a squeaky squirrel troll. Zippy just gave him a hard stare and that was enough to see the cowardly troll leg it. However the squirrel troll did hurl insults in Latin as he made good his escape.
Then off to the poets hut where Zippy rolled around in one of the beds trying his best to wipe the smug grin off his face so that all the other dogs knew nothing of his daring adventures and triumph over such terrifying beasts.
Every walk can be a laugh with Sir Zippy the Brave as he has a way of larking around that never wanes.

Fast to defend the holder of the lead.
20180729_092406.jpg
See how handsome his smug grin is.
20180729_092509.jpg
Zippy wiping off the smug grin of adventure.
20180729_093210.jpg
What a charmer.
20180729_092507.jpg
heleny

Post by heleny »

I just love reading about Zippy's adventures with Jim - what an intrepid pair they are! Zippy and I had a great walk today with him enjoying all the sniffs of the woodlands. Once back at the kennels he spent some time looking after my car to give him a break from his pen. Great little chap - hopefully that elusive perfect home will turn up soon. blob6.gif] blob6.gif] blob6.gif]
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

Zippy was pleased to get away from the noise of the kennels today. He just stood there and let me put his leads on and gave me a few licks. As soon as he was out of the back gate he let out a big sigh, this means he's now relaxed and can focus on having adventures.
We went to the truck where a nap and some treats were had.
Then we set off, we saw Nick and Jan walking Bleu and Pickle so we walked with them for a while. We went our own way after a while and on our return to the kennel area Zippy climbed upon the big sand bag by the bridge and lay down on it. Zippy liked the cool sand on his belly.
However our adventure was about to become much more exciting.
Our first encounter was the squeaky squirrel troll. The Keeper of the Bridge. Brave Sir Zippy gave him a sharp yap and banished the foul beast aloft. With the first challenge of the quest overcome we set off (victoriously) into The Dark Shady Forest of Fear and down to river of Doom for some fishing, However all the water had been stolen. I believe the fat cat we saw earlier had ran off with the river in it's belly.
So we set off ,gallantly to another fishing spot.
We found the new fishing spot and Zippy flung himself straight into the foamy surf of the rapids the deep dark water matching his coat but then the Kraken. I feared this time we had gone to far. Eeeeek
(sorry) oh yes. The Kraken in the form of a tiny shrimp was devoured by Brave Sir Zippy.
He stood there like Poseidon, grinning from ear to tail as the deep water wet his ankles.
Two lady's caught the end of the battle (Kate and Fiona) as I hoist the victor up and carried Brave sir Zippy up the Cliff of Peril (slight incline) they rewarded the triumphant Zippy with warmth and sausage bits.
Thanks for the adventure Zippy you really are an ace.

Zippy braves the deep water and hunts the Kraken.
20180805_092500.jpg
Look how handsome the victorious Sir Zippy the Brave is, Look really carefully as there may be a bit of Kraken on his lip.
20180805_092641.jpg
heleny

Post by heleny »

Wow - such an intrepid little dog on such amazing adventures - thank you Jim for the photos and the write up. Zippy certainly has fun when he spends time with you. He had a good walk today - walked with zest through the woodlands, having rolls in the grass and forages in the undergrowth. At one point I was really proud of him. We met a lady and her two small dogs and Zippy sat by my feet while I chatted to her and completely ignored her dogs - no reactivity at all. Once back at the kennels he spent a couple of hours relaxing in my car which he always enjoys as it is away from the noise of the main kennel block. Dear little dog who would make someone an excellent companion - that someone would be a lucky person. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

I met up with Helen and Zippy twice today, while I was walking other dogs.
The first time was when I had Timmy with me. Me and Helen stood and chatted for a while and Zippy was very quiet, laying down and not taking any notice of Tims. The second time was when me and Rebecca passed them with Buster and Frankie and Zippy wasn't phased by the two big boys at all, even when Buster did a playful bounce near him.
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
heleny

Post by heleny »

Zippy had to put up with me today for his Sunday walk as his best mate Jim was unable to walk him. crying1.gif] However, he did it with good grace and we had a really good time. We started off with the inevitable cuddles and licks in the poet's hut (Zippy is a very, very affectionate little dog). Then we walked to the Keeper's Cottage and back through the woods - a walk which takes at least 40 minutes and he loved all the sniffs that the drops of rain seemed to bring out. As Teresa has said in the previous post we met her twice - with laid back and lovely Timmy Tim and then with Buster and later on in the walk we met Pickle and two smaller dogs and Zippy did not show any reaction to any of these dogs. He did not bark nor get excited - I was just so very proud of him. blob6.gif] woo.gif] This is a little dog who hates the clamour and the chaos of the main block in the kennels and has usually reacted adversely when he meets other dogs - not so today. In fact, I have seen progress being slowly made for quite some time with his reactivity. Once back at the kennels Zippy spent an hour or so in my car - to give him a change of scene and a bit of peace - and he went to sleep on the back seat. I love spending time with this endearing, wonderful little terrier. It doesn't take much to get him to love you and then, when he does, he becomes your friend for life. Love him! love4.gif Just want him to be happy, calm and peaceful in his own home. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:
heleny

Post by heleny »

Zippy has come to spend the day with me and, while he is peacefully lying at my feet, I thought I would share a few observations.
Travelling by car - Zippy does this very well. He tends to lie down on the back seat and sleep until we reach our destination.
Walks - So far we have had three shortish road walks today. Zippy is not phased by loud passing traffic - an ambulance went past with its siren going and Zippy ignored it. Likewise with bikes - Zippy ignores them. If people on our walks talk to and respond to Zippy in a friendly way then he is very friendly and wants to greet them. Otherwise, he ignores all passers by. In the kennel site he is very dog reactive. Away from the kennel less so - he manages to ignore all dogs at a distance and across the road. He wears a muzzle on walks so that he will not redirect onto his walker's legs. In my opinion, away from the kennel block, Zippy in time and with training could be desensitized to this issue. However, for safety he wears his muzzle and he does not object to wearing it. He will be homed on the understanding that he must wear his muzzle on walks.
With other people - Zippy is an incredibly friendly little dog. Today we arrived at my house and there was a man there whom Zippy had never met - he greeted him rapturously and jumped onto his knee. Zippy does not mind people coming to the house - perhaps a small bark when the bell goes but that is all. With me and with other walkers he is very affectionate - enjoys lying on your knee, licking you (if given the chance!). Zippy is not to be homed with young children and must be the only dog.
Food - Zippy enjoys his meals but does not beg for treats. He will sit on request and I am sure could be trained to other commands.
He is a very clean little house guest and will let you know if he needs to go outside.
On our days here Zippy does spend a fair amount of time resting and sleeping. It is hard for some dogs to relax in the kennel environment and so Zippy makes the most of the peace. A peaceful, calm household would be best for him. He does enjoy playing, especially with tennis balls, and so we have a few sessions of playing before he settles down to yet another nap.
Like all dogs Zippy responds well to positivity. He has a dear, responsive nature and I think would flourish in the right home and, in his turn, would enrich that home with his winning, affectionate, biddable ways.
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

Today Zippy welcomed me with a, how you doing face. He stood still while I hooked up his lead. Then off to the truck for treats and tea.
After a tiny nap and welcoming others (who were off on the charity walk) he chose to embark on an adventure.
The path chosen by Sir Zippy the Brave was one which would test both his strength and fortitude. He swaggered forth in the path of shade, turning his back to the sun. He glanced up expressing that any path can take you where you should be, if you don't know where you're going. With such reasoning how could I argue. The hard stony path, stained black with the passage of many wheeled beasts and was noisy at times (as said creatures sped by) Zippy the brave ignored the cacophony in order to reach the objective.
Once his quest of destiny was reached he had a new mission.
Brave Sir Zippy saw the wooden mountain and knew the perilous journey must be faced, Zippy crushed the long grass and stinging nettles of woe and brushed aside the brambles of agony. to reach the base of the mountain. On the arduous path to the summit he vanquished the blackthorns and those weird red itchy berry things left behind by Faun and scrabbled boldly to the apex. From the top he stared down to check a minion had witnessed such a triumph.
He smiled boldly as he braced himself as the wind at such a height was incredible as I snapped his image.
As I stood up Brave Sir Zippy chose to take a huge gamble and jumped into my arms, I caught him and was rewarded with licks and hugs.
after such adventure we set off back to base with the sun in our faces and glowing with the success that only a daring deed can bring.
I can't wait for more larking about with Zippy
20180826_092622.jpg
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

Zippy the Brave started the day by having a nap and some tea in the truck. Now all who know Zippy are aware that this leads to one thing. Adventure time.
We left the compound and headed west as Zippy's nose was twitching in anticipation. I knew that the task at hand was to be a grueling affair as Brave Sir Zippy ignored the squirrels and birds, he was saving all his skills.
Zippy crouched as low as a snakes belly and slipped silently under the bar of the stile, turning his head and shushing an order of silence. The objective was now in sight and I was fully aware of the seriousness of our situation. We had to capture a pill box which had been taken over.
The enemy forces had laid a minefield (in the form of cowpats) and had employed thistles as barbed wire. However to Zippy, this was easy to overcome, such were his skills. We were making good progress until the air assault. Zippy was unconcerned by the diving horseflies as his thick shiny coat of amour was better than their slashing jaws. They got me several times but Zippy told me to stop flapping about as they are only flesh wounds.
We reached the pill box and all the foes had fled (such was Zippy tenacity)
So victoriously he was hoist aloft to view his newly gained territory like the champion he is (look at the sky above his tail to the left) you can even see Athenesic staring down to witness the victory and help with my wounds.
On our way back to HQ. Zippy decided that a nap in the long grass was in order. How could I refuse.
Zippy has a way of getting me to lark about and I enjoy the adventures we have, We hope you enjoy our silliness, after all he is very handsome and brave.
20180902_094824.jpg
20180902_094920.jpg
20180902_093818.jpg
Last edited by Jim Thomas on Sun 02 Sep 2018 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Thomas

Post by Jim Thomas »

So here's another photo of Sir Zippy the brave on the wooden mountain.
20180826_092559.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”