Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Gatwick Kenns

Terrierrescue dogs available for homing/awaiting adoption
cilla

Re: Rollo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Derbyshire

Post by cilla » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:51 am

:shock: I missed Rollo's first anniversary!! On 3rd July 2014 he came to live with us. Frank is still unimpressed and Freyja mostly oblivious lol.

I couldn't imaging life without him now, he is such a character. He still has a lot to learn but there's never a dull moment!
Love you Rollo :smiley-love029.gif: :smiley-love029.gif: :smiley-love029.gif:

Sarahk

Post by Sarahk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Wonderful update, Rollo is one very lucky boy to have you in his life and can tell you feel the same, everything we could wish for for Rollo
:thanks.gif:
PS. Envious of your living the dream !
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire

cilla

Post by cilla » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:07 pm

I didn't realise it had been so long since I last posted! A lot has happened in 8 months....
Sadly I had to make the most awful decision and Freyja was pts in December last year. She had developed Lymphoma and suddenly went downhill and I just couldn't see her suffer. She almost made it to 13 which is very old for a Bull Terrier. I think Frank has missed her very much.
So it's just the two boys now and I have a huge Bullie shaped hole in my life. They continue to tolerate each other with the occasional fight but I am even more vigilant to triggers. Rollo has started trying to engage Frank in play but he's having none of it. They can both be possessive about me and my affections so I have to be very strict. They each have their own place on my bed at night and there is no deviation and I found if one starts they both get told off and treated equally. A bit like small children really lol.

Rollo has progressed such a lot. I no longer use the Thundershirt or have to muzzle very often. We found a trainer who specializes in aggressive dogs and we have play dates/socials with lots of dogs. No fights at all but lots of playing! Rollo seems to stopped being so frightened of other people and I can have visitors, some of which he adores. Once he has met someone for the first time he is quite ok with them after that and no longer makes a lot of noise. I can stop and talk to other people now and sometimes when they have dogs Rollo is quiet too!
He takes it out on his ball, it's like a dog dummy, with lots of head shaking and noise. This is the one behaviour I would like to stop but it's proving to be very ingrained and difficult. Time is probably all he needs.
He is getting more and more affectionate and will ask to sit on my lap and even lick my face! This is really new behaviour and makes me smile. It makes me feel we are really getting somewhere in our relationship.

I got a 10m long line for walks so Rollo can chase his ball and have a good run around. It seems to have helped his confidence too because there is a lot of slack and no tension until he reaches the end of it. We practice recall too even tho he will never be offline. Franks recall has improved in the process too!

I do occasionally still worry that Rollo is too much for me when his rehab is going really really slowly or even feels like it has stalled......usually when he is extra hyper after going mad with his ball in the house or meeting too many energetic dogs. He has moods like all of us and some days are less calm than others. But there are more calm days than manic ones lately, in fact I think Rollo is mostly calm all the time. Except when the post arrives or the window cleaner is here! Other things like knocking triggers him, even if I do it, so we play with that. if he's quiet he gets a treat. As the saying goes, 'ignore the bad and reward the good' which does take a lot of patience sometimes!

He is learning not to bark at traffic and mostly doesn't. It's usually diesel trucks that he cannot keep quiet about. When he does it's not as crazy or for as long. He loves trains and will try to get on them when I meet friends or family at the station. We have a new game involving his ball and water drains in the local woods. He drops the ball one side, watches it disappear in the drain and then goes the other side to pick the ball up when it appears through the pipe! Great fun!

So there you go. All is well here in Derbyshire xxx

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:59 pm

So funny to be scrolling down the updated Rehomed threads and suddenly brain flash and you go racing to the top again thinking did I see Rollo?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep brilliant update so much appreciated Rollo's pictures say it all he is living the life and demonstrating skills and integration...perfection? Yep Rollo is already perfect but will continue to mellow with age... a good wine matures very very slowly!

cilla

Post by cilla » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Hello! Just thought I'd check in because it's Rollo's 2nd Gotcha Day anniversary today! I can't believe it's been two years already.
He is continuing to delight and sometimes frustrate me and Frank lol. But he is making good progress all the time and beginning to be a little calmer. I can stop and talk to other humans out on walks now and he can even walk next to other dogs without going totally over the top. I have been having more visitors to the house and Rollo can be trusted without a muzzle which is brilliant. He loves everyone once he gets to know them. I feel quite put out sometimes that he'd rather sleep with my visitors than on my bed lately! I made my small front yard extra dog secure so that we could work on door issues and have found letting him in and out of the front door with me has eased his anxiety about it. It's nice to sit there in the sunshine briefly and see him calm and relaxed. I am sure Frank is a lot happier about it too.
The last few months i have noticed Rollo has started licking me more often which he never used to do. Must be love and I see it as a very good sign.
He and Frank continue to have a few little spats when they both vie for my attention but mostly they get on ok. I think Frank secretly likes him but doesn't want to share my affection lol.

I've been continuing to work really hard with Rollo by increasing the praise I give him for doing good things, really taking notice of positive behaviour and reward it big time and it seems to be paying off nicely now. I do worry that all the extra treats might make him put on weight but so far that hasn't happened.
Rollo will always be a work in progress I reckon but he's taught me an awful lot along the way. Many more years of that to come I hope. xxx

xxlynne

Re: Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Derbyshire

Post by xxlynne » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Sadly Rolo has come back onto our books as he and Frank of late have had an increasing number of altercations both in the home and on walks. Cilla has sadly come to the conclusion that she has to split them but is happy to hold Rolo until after Christmas.

sweetpea

Re: Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Derbyshire

Post by sweetpea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Oh such sad news ...everything crossed that. a forever home comes along before he has to go back into kennels smiley-sad010.gif

xxlynne

Re: Rolo Patterdale DOB 25.12.11 Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm

John did a marathon journey for our beloved Rolo today...and suddenly like by magic there was Rolo coming out of the back of his car. A little trip to the paddock but bless him he wanted to go back to the car. Tonight he is under his heat lamp coming to terms with Rescue and hoping he doesn't wait too long before he finds his forever family

Thank you John from us all. Feeling for Rolo tonight

Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am

IMG_3752.JPG
Rolo was looking very sorry for himself in his kennel - all huddled up in the corner. He wouldn't come to the door and accept my chicken so I threw it in. He ignored it, waited for me to go then tentatively went and got his chicken. Kim got him out of his kennel - he wasn't thrilled to have two people walking him but he was the last dog to be walked so we thought we'd share him. He ignored us both!!! The paddock was busy so we went for a walk through the woods. Rolo had no interest in either kim or myself or the treats we offered him. As soon as the paddock was free we took Rolo in there - switching to an extender lead. I've always found the way to befriend a nervous terrier is to run with them, play with them, but with enough space for them to not feel overwhelmed. It worked a treat!! Within 5 minutes he was friendly and receptive to kim and I and happily accepted treats. His tail was up and wagging - he was playful and thoroughly enjoyed playing fetch. We then walked down the lane, Rolo like a different dog to the boy who first came out of his kennel. He was trotting along with an air of confidence about him, tail held high. In true terrier style, he dug his heels in when we walked back up the lane towards the kennels......he wanted to go exploring now we were all friends. However, it was getting dark so I promised him we'd go on a longer adventure next time. Rolo is a beautiful boy who just needs to get to know you before he lets his guard down. Xx

Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 pm

IMG_3813.JPG
Rolo seemed much happier today - I was greeted at his kennel door with a little jump up at me and a waggy tail. He's very easy to get out of the kennel block - just heads straight for the door. On our walk he collected every ball he could find - I ended up with 4 muddy, wet tennis balls in my pockets - thanks Rolo! They didn't stay in there for long though - in the paddock Rolo just loves to play fetch.....we'll chase the ball, bring it back but doesn't actually drop it :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: :smiley-rolleyes010.gif:. I think Rolo and I are now friends - he sat next to me in the poets hut, happily letting me stroke and cuddle him.xx.

Return to “3. TERRIERRESCUE / RESCUE REMEDIES”