Mika42.jpg
Mika's Thread

PatterdaleTerrierrescue
Bentley4.jpg
Bentley's Thread

February 16
Intake/ Dogs saved: 21 + 3 Returns
Terrierrescue 4: Rex TR 2 Bertie TR 4 Jasper TR 4 Oreo TR 22

Rescueremedies 5: Missy RR 4 Tigger (Tiger) RR 11 Churchill RR 13 Rico RR 22 Daisy RR 23

Staffierescue 12: Tess SR 2 Donna SR 4 Tillie SR 5 Roxy SR 6 Pinky SR 8 Bruno SR 11 Rowan SR 13 Marian SR 16 Kirstin SR 16 Buster SR 20 Tai (Tyson) SR 23 Nutkins SR 23

Returns 3 : Rosie SR 4 Maxx SR 21 Jojo TR 27

Dogs homed: 25
Terrierrescue 6: Mario TR 2 Astra TR 7 Jasper TR 11 Muffin TR 16 Noodles TR 18 Pints TR 20

Rescueremedies 8: Bubber RR 5 Curly RR 6 Mia RR 7 Suede RR 18 Missy RR 20 Harry RR 20 Gerry(Geraldine) RR 20 Tigger (Tiger) RR 26

Staffierescue 11: Bridie SR 7 Phoebe SR 13 Ruby(Constance) SR 13 Emily SR 16 Branston SR 20 Chunk (Elfin) SR 22 Jade SR 22 Roscoe SR 23 Boris SR 27 Tai (Tyson) SR 28 Tess SR 28

Cats 0:

Celebrating our HOMED Longstay Dogs in February:

Longer than 6 months

Mia
Mia8.jpg
Ruby (Constance)
Constance (8).JPG
Roscoe
Roscoe16.JPG
Longer than a year

Branston (came into Rescue Jun 14 and into us Jun 15)
Branstonfos.JPG
Curly
Curly (11).jpg
Suede
Suede98.jpg
Gerry (Geraldine)
HollyGeraldine (1).jpg
Harry & Pints ( came into Rescue over 5 years 4 months with ourselves)
HarryPints3.jpg

Comment: 24 24 where our intake more or less matched our homings but what wonderful homings...and lovely friends to shelter with us and avoid premature death. A very tough month but then it doesn't help keep saying that! Rescue is tough; Rescue is emotionally very challenging and we mean very challenging..Rescue takes it toll but the rewards are shared and stupendous! Celebrations as always Thanking YOU!

Dogs Monthly

106 on our books Dogs Weekly our Rescue's Stats updated everyday

xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary January 2016 - March 2016

Post by xxlynne » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:03 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 6.03.16

Post of the Week: Maxx by Tara (TJB)
So last night we had Maxx as our house guest, and it is safe to say he was one very grateful boy! We went on a lovely long walk down by the canal at Loxwood first, and then brought him back home. I was really pleased with how quickly he settled as he has never been to our house before. Within a couple of hours he made himself right at home, as you can see from the photos!
Maxx46.JPG
He was like my little shadow for the entire evening, so we let him sleep upstairs (keeping the cats out of the way!) rather than upset him unnecessarily by making him stay downstairs, and he was as good as gold. He came over once in the night, I think just to check I was still there, and off he went, back to his bed.

We went on a lovely long walk again this morning and I put him on the extender lead, which he loved. No pulling, just trotting along taking in all the new sights and sounds. We met a couple of other dogs but Maxx was not in a sociable mood this morning, so we kept a safe distance which appeared to be his preference for today.

I think the photos speak for themselves really. This truly 'Golden Oldie' really deserves to have a home to call his own. I really, really hope he doesn't have to stay in kennels for long, he needs his own sofa a.s.a.p.
Maxx53.JPG
Maxx52.JPG
Maxx51.JPG
Maxx50.JPG
Maxx49.JPG
Maxx47.JPG
Maxx's Thread

Best picture of this week: Miko & Andrew by Deborah
Miko79.jpg
Miko's thread

Our cat of the Week...least you forget! Prince
Can we remind you our cats are social cats who have lived in 'cat world rather than human world' therefore they need to go in with at least one other cat and we are homing in pairs if you don't have a resident cat.
Prince.JPG
Prince's thread

Homings 6: Rico RR 1 Eliah RR 2 Archie SR 3 Kirstin SR 4 Donna SR 4 Buddy SR 6
Gone Reserved This week 1: Buster SR

Intake 7 New 5: Smiley RR 2 Ice SR 3 Beau SR 3 Poppy SR 3 Honey SR 4
Returns 2: Mario TR 3 Noodles TR 5

Into Permanent Foster : Daisy SR
Return from Foster : Marian SR
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Shadow RR Smiley RR Honey SR Tasha SR Rio SR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Pablo RR Pinky SR Jordon RR Maxx SR Alfie SR
Post-spay Post op care : Smiley RR Honey SR Daisy RR

Comment: Fantabulous week with 6 homings and 1 reserve. Our numbers as 104 (plus a few sharing kennels) has reached a measure Nov 2013. We have our game plan with temp increasing our kennel at Guildford ++. Next week is another week Thank you each and everyone as usual the results spell out your love

Building Block Appeal: stay tuned

Our Stats 2016: 104 dogs slowly slowing our numbers are down...always with every week we pray we can impact on our kennel numbers: We have suffered 2 returns this week. ...15th March we lose 18 kennels and Godstone itself...pray for homes

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Tonight we have 100 dogs on our books. In Aug 2015 we had 146 dog on our books so we have dropped our numbers by 1/3. Its hard but we are moving in the right direction

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am

Weekly Summary Week ending 13.03.16

Post of the Week: Rolo by marknsal
Rolo14.JPG
Out with Rolo and passed Jo en route, yay another walker! Rolo is another dog where the consistency of walking on a regular basis is paying off. Far less excited than he used to be actually walks nicely, albeit a bit pully on the shorter lead but really good on the extender now, he also now recognises us which is nice. A thoroughly nice dog who would be good in any home although probably a bit too big for small tots and I am not sure he is cat friendly as he spied one and seemed keen to say hello, not sure the cat would have appreciated it though. The lump is gradually worming his way into the Storm, Jason, Rusty pantheon.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Rolo's Thread

Best video of this week: Merlin with Terry by xxlynne

Merlin's thread

Our cat of the Week...least you forget!
Can we remind you our cats are social cats who have lived in 'cat world rather than human world' therefore they need to go in with at least one other cat and we are homing in pairs if you don't have a resident cat.
Wilfred.JPG
Prince's thread

Homings 5: Buster SR 8 Noodles TR 9 Polly (Oreo) TR 12 Coco SR 12 Darcie RR 13
Gone Reserved This week 2: Bennie SR Rosie SR

Intake 1 New : Merlin RR
Returns :

Into Permanent Foster : Rio SR
Return from Foster :
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Shadow RR Roxy SR Honey SR Oliver SR Marian SR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Pablo RR Pinky SR Nessa RR Maxx SR Sydney SR Moby RR
Post-spay Post op care : Marian SR

Holly4.jpg
This week we sadly very sadly lost dear Holly. I came as a great shock and was so traumatic for John, Sylvie and their pack and our hearts bleed for them whilst thanking them for offering Holly the most fantastic last few months which so should have been 10 years but such was the level of brain
damage she had a ticking bomb inside her which she was able to put aside and enjoy the fruits of love, life and companionship both human and canine. Forever grateful
Holly now at Peace

Comment: All time high in stress and I apologises for the people that were reminding me what hasn't been done; for not being able to take up offers which would have actually caused me more work than just flowing with the challenge and those that dealt with aspects of the Rescue while I have run around mainly in my head, like a blue bottle fly. We are there 99 on our books! and the wish had been for 2 or 3 more homes wasnt to be. Am confident over the next 2 weeks all will be rebedded and begin to take the stress in reducing the numbers within Guildford and Chessington further. But yes we close the doors on Godstone as a terrific era in our Rescue and we thank Nigel and Sheila the kennel owners for that together with Ali in the office and our great friends Debbie; Karen; Keith; (Pattie, Erin and Jess) for all their hard work and wisdom. Hoping we can make life a little less demanding and root in to our dogs needs and attract in their families who will treasure the dust and at time mud on their little fragrant paws.

Our Stats 2016: 99 dogs slowly slowing our numbers are down...always with every week we pray we can impact on our kennel numbers: ...pray for homes

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:51 pm

News Flash: Today we were offered 6 kennels in the same area as our Godstone Kennels. They are in a distinct block with an attached exercise area be it concrete. There are lovely walks around. At the moment the road we used to drive down to the block is just a building site so it is access from behind the main shop block. We have moved
Franklyn
Poppy & Beau
Ice
Leesa & Sonny
Pablo arrives tomorrow
and we take on a new small collie on Friday called Murray

So we have made it just 2 dogs in old Godstone tonight Pablo and Barley and Barley is off for a foster break tomorrow

Obviously inducted walkers will have access to whereabout and procedures via our Support Members Section

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:06 am

Weekly Summary Week ending 20.03.16

Post of the Week: Shelley by Elliephant
We all went to the beach today Shelley loved it and even ventured into the water up to her knees which was good for her! She soon learned the water tasted bad after one mouth full, not an impressed girl lol she befriended a little French bull and played chase till he was tired, and charged up and down the sandy stretch's in her element. Shelley thinks she's more athletic than she is and attempted a massive jump over a sea defense coming to a swift stop with her legs dangling but not fazed she just wriggles off and keeps on going, no keeping this little girl down!! Great day had by all and sleeping like logs on the way home including me!
Shelleymar.jpg
ShelleyMarc.jpg
ShelleyMarch.jpg
ShelleyMarch1.jpg
Shelley's Thread

Best video of this week: Rupert playing with Rusty by xxlynne

Rupert's thread

Our Cats of the Week...least you forget!
Queenie&Tibbs.JPG
Queenie's thread
Tibbs's thread

Homings 2: Bennie SR 14 Murray RR 18
Gone Reserved This week 2: Jeremy TR 2 Cats

Intake 1 New : Murray RR 17 Bobby TR 18
Returns 1: Lily RR

Into Permanent Foster : Marian SR Pablo SR
Return from Foster :
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Mika TR Shadow RR Basil TR Pinky SR Gillespie RR Tasha SR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Toby SR Adelle TR Bobby TR Buttons SR
Post-spay Post op care :

Comment: A very very different week for us. This was the week we had all been planning for and our Godstone Walkers in particular had been dreading...goodbye to Godstone. So Monday morning came and I was planning to do the bulk of the move with an emergency plan when a phone call came as mentioned in the last entry and suddenly New Godstone was born with 6 kennels. So a mega move and then just Pablo and Barley into foster Tuesday...a start of a new era all a little bit erie. Our gratitude to Chris, Linda and Sam the owners of the Guildford kennels and all our Guildford walkers for receiving in and giving our dogs such a wonderful welcome. Our Chessington Kennel owners in particular Kelly H and kennel staff for allowing us to move dogs around and few new entries.

AND IT ALL WENT QUIET.............Bennie's homing which was planned the week before...very few Homing Questionnaires with the exception of Murray's "made to measure" family making his entry into our care a sweet and fleeting one. So as you can imagine when the wheel stops you cant quite believe it and your heart pangs for our dogs: Waiting waiting far too long. Spring cleaning and deep sorting was the order for administrators. BUT then Adam Tizzie's Dad popped up and offered to help with a specific knowledge and interest in Fundraising and it all felt so right as if the Rescue was taking stock and relaunching into something so new and now very exciting

Beginning to receive Easter foster offers in THANK YOU our dogs could so do with a break

Oh and Bunny's 18th Birthday

Bunny our dear girl bless her so frail

and Copper who is coming up to 16 years old

Copper so well and happy

PLEASE have a read and think about receiving information and contributing your ideas.. :nicethread.gif:

Our Stats 2016: 101 dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 27.03.16

Post of the Week: Blossom by SarahW & JohnFowle
SarahW How could I resist taking a couple of pictures of my friend Blossom when visiting John yesterday!
blossom31.jpg
I don't think Blossom was convinced I had used a camera before...You're no SarahK of Tim she thought!
blossom62.jpg
John Fowle
Another great dog, waiting patiently for her forever home. Blossom is a true delight. She is still nervous when meeting new people, but once she realises they are not a threat she quickly comes out of her shell and rolls onto her back for a tummy tickle, or lick you to death.

I am really surprised nobody has shown an interest in Blossom....she would make anybody a gentle and affectionate companion and will snuggle up close to you on the sofa or share your bed at night.

2 Days Later: Blossom has had a lovely 24 hours. It was about a week ago when I first introduced her to one of my own dogs....needless to say, a Staffie. They have each had their own room in the annex right next door to each other since Blossom first arrived here, but I have been swapping them round two or three times a day so they have got to know each other's smells. So, a week ago I felt it was right for them to meet each other face to face.

It went really well....lots of smells, lots of face licks and wagging of tails: lots of stroking and "good girls". Ten minutes were enough for the first time and then another tens minutes and then another over the next few days.

So why 24 hours????? I always sleep in the annex bedroom with one or other of these two....enough room for a dog and me on the bed. It had to be enough room for two dogs and me last night and, whilst they slept well, I had hardly any sleep in case things went wrong. It didn't, and today they've spent quite a lot of the day chasing each other back and forth up and down the garden.

I can now confirm that Blossom is good with dogs.....she's a big softee!!!!
Blossom's Thread

Best Picture of this week: Sasha & Pepi by Milliemoo
SashaPepi78.jpg
Sasha & Pepi's thread

Our Cats of the Week...least you forget! Houdini
Houdini is good with cats and people and been around dogs. We think Houdini like Boo & Tibbs could live as an only cats
Houdini61.jpg
All the cats have a video now to give you a sense of how they are being handled

Houdini's thread

Homings 6: Jeremy TR 22 Monty(Dusty) RR 23 Charlie TR 26 Dougie RR 26 Moby RR 27 Molly(LittleMo) TR 27
Gone Reserved This week 1: Skip TR

Cat homings 3: Sally CT 21 Olive CT 21 Prince CT 26

Intake 3 New : Rocky RR 24 Molly(LittleMo) TR 27 Mabel TR 27
Returns :

Into Permanent Foster : Bobby TR
Return from Foster :
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Barley TR Shadow RR Basil TR Heidi SR Pinky SR Tasha SR Jordon RR Buttons SR Ice SR Harrison SR Nessa RR Rowan SR Baloo SR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Trixie RR Maxx SR Chyna SR TimmyTim RR
Post-spay Post op care :

Comment: Most people don't know but I am a therapist by inclination and training and worked in the NHS, Social Services, and the Charities Scope & Rudolph Steiner during my 25 years post training; the last 20 years as a manager. My focus was training and development of Therapists and Service provision. I decided to have a gap year and fell into Dog Rescue, as my dogs were always Rescues and suddenly there is no turning back. Therefore people will understand the ethos, ethics and mission of our Charity is about therapy. When we step forwards for a dog we are not assessing for ease of homing, when we accept its because they need us. We are samaritains by nature. We are not assessing our dogs in an attempt to define them... we are gradually understanding their potential, their strengths and needs and taking them slowly, with them leading us at their pace in self discovery and recovery. The onus is on us to support, come up with solutions, and use our creativity with our dogs as our teachers. In therapy you break tasks down into small steps just the right size to slightly stretch but always equip to succeed. I have managed large budgets and large teams of professionals but managing a team of dedicated volunteers is very very special. Most people who home our dogs assume we have our own premises, are all employed and no doubt have large salaries. People admire the work we are all involved with, and the quality of the service we offer and acknowledge our dogs are second to none. The success is down to each one of you. You know I have to say this every Sunday, as I write the diary, when I sit and reflect on the weeks outcomes the heart swells in admiration of the efforts made. This is in part captured on our Forum and our Websites Facebooks and twitter groups lead the public into the dog's threads on the Forum. We have to have policies and procedures; we work to high standards and we build a platform for our dogs to shine, we focus on our dogs not on ourselves..and in this way people who find us are excited and fall for our dogs. So doesn't Blossom sum us up aren't we all watching her blossom and we all participate in the Rusty's; the Edie's; the TimmyTim's; The Arthur's; The HollyMay's The Franklyn's and The Maisies's ........of our Rescue Work
Rescue-Remedies-Logo.jpg
The logo we are most proud of
The immense satisfaction each takes from seeing the homings each week and knowing YOU contributed in your own special ways with your own unique signature tune. The example I always use is the tapestry: Each thread, colour hue, textural variation and indeed stitch is vital. Variation is the key.

Today wishing you all a wonderful Easter and a special applaud to the organisers and inductors within the Rescue who make it happen. It can be disheartening if for example you spend so much of your personal time inducting a new person into dog walking and then they fade after 1 or 2 walks..but then you have raised awareness and touched their hearts ...the realities of our dog's plights is hard to take for some, and perhaps it just shows, those who stay and dedicate, getting involved with the Forum and activities to offer our dogs the best ...just how special you are. We are the richer for it ...in real terms!

PLEASE have a read and think about receiving information and contributing your ideas.. :nicethread.gif:

Our Stats 2016: 100 dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 am

Rescue Remedies Diary of the Month for March 2016

Our Dogs of the Month for April 16 Each one really deserves a chance

Rescue Remedies
Rolo50.JPG
Rolo RR's thread

StaffieRescue
Heidi79.JPG
Heidi's Thread

AmBulldogRescue
TimmyTim98.jpg
TimmyTim's Thread

Terrierrescue
Barley6.jpg
Barley's Thread

PatterdaleTerrierrescue
Mario9.jpg
Mario's Thread

March 16
Intake/ Dogs saved 20: 15 + 5 Returns
Terrierrescue 3: Bobby TR 18 MollyLittleMo TR 22 Mabel TR 27

Rescueremedies 5: Smiley RR 2 Merlin RR 11 Murray RR 18 Rocky RR 24 Frazer RR

Staffierescue 7: Ice SR 3 Beau SR 3 Poppy SR 3 Honey SR 4 LadyHaye SR Wilf SR 31 Henry SR 31

Returns 5 : Mario TR 3 Noodles TR 6 Lily RR 18 Alfie TR 28 Flora SR 28

Dogs homed: 22
Terrierrescue 7: Noodles TR 9 Polly Oreo TR 12 Jeremy TR 22 Charlie TR 26 Molly (LittleMo) 27 Skip TR 28 Mabel TR 29

Rescueremedies 7: Rico RR 1 Eliah RR 2 Darcie RR 13 Murray RR 19 Monty Dusty RR 23 Dougie RR 25 Moby RR 26

Staffierescue 8: Archie SR 3 Kirstin SR 4 Donna SR 4 Buddy SR 6 Buster SR 8 Coco SR 12 Bennie SR 14 Cassie SR 30

Cats 3: Sally CT 21 Olive CT 21 Prince CT 26

Celebrating our HOMED Longstay Dogs in March:

Longer than 6 months
Eliah
Eliah (7).jpg
Eliah's thread

Jeremy
Jeremy04.JPG
Mojo (Darcie)
Darcie (14).JPG
Mojo (Darcie)
Longer than a year

Dougie & Charlie ( Dougie came into Rescue over 6 years )
Charlie6.JPG
Dougie & Charie's thread

Comment: We said Goodbye to Godstone kennels this month which has added so much stress on us and we are bereft especially losing our true friends Debbie, Karen and Keith all who have been volunteers in helping with our work but now have become dog walkers. Our sadness has decided we are all out to try and find ourselves our own premise and place TO BE and TO SERVE our dogs so our volunteers are welcomed and integral to the care of our wonderful dogs.

We also reached the half way mark in finding our cats their homes which is amazing so we now have 11 cats

Dogs Monthly

103 on our books Dogs Weekly our Rescue's Stats updated everyday

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 03.04.16

Post of the Week: Leesa and Sonny by Elliesmum
How photogenic are these two? Fabulous 0093.gif
After a walk with Keith today, they mobbed him with cuddles. So easy going together and no jealousy, just a pair of bookends! Lovely dogs.

How could you not want these two by your side?
LeesaSonnyKeith.jpeg
Keith in love
LeesaSonnyKeith1.jpeg
LeesaandSonny's Thread

Best Picture of this week: Smiley by Staffylevi
Smiley49.jpg
Smiley loving Lois care of Lee
Smiley's thread

Our Cats of the Week...least you forget! Arthur
Arthur2.JPG
Arthur's thread

Homings 7: Skip TR 28 Mabel TR 29 Cassie SR 30 Bertie TR 1 Maria RR 2 Hanson(Harrison) SR 3 Wilf SR 3
Gone Reserved This week 3: Oliver SR Jacob TR Daisy SR

Intake 5 New : LadyHaye SR 29 Frazer 31 Henry SR 31 Reuben(Wilf) RR 31 Lois TR 1
Returns 2:
Flora SR 28 Alfie TR 28

Into Permanent Foster : Smiley RR
Return from Foster : Barley TR Daisy SR Nessa RR
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Buttons SR Nessa RR Rowan SR/ Rowan SR Baloo SR Meera SR Rusty RR Ladyhaye SR Lois TR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Churchill RR Honey SR
Post-spay Post op care : Ladyhaye SR Lois TR

Comment: Thank you everyone for loving our dogs and hearing their call and pleads and recognising their needs. Tough week with 12 coming into kennels this week at the beginning but thankfully a few were held back in foster. Another 12 coming into kennels this week...its hard but lives need saving and stress is one thing but a life lost is totally unacceptable! Maria's wonderful homing sent us all into orbit this week If you want to know what floats our boat....

Our Stats 2016: 100 dogs

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:28 am

Weekly Summary Week ending 10.04.16

Post of the Week: Kyla by John I always love to see an update on Kyla and recommend any fosterer to see how a foster dog can entertain us all and bring their gifts into spotlight of being a 'must have doggie' Thank you John
Isn't it nice to go dog walking when the sun is out. Kyla and I have already had two walks today! Needless to say she is 'resting' in the conservatory as I post this. Unfortunately I have to take her back to Chessington kennels on Tuesday for 3 days as I am away. I haven't told her yet, the time never seems to be right.
Kyla is a really nice dog and I love having her. You just can't put a price on the trust and love you get back.
Kyla80.jpg
Kyla checking her Isa's
Kyla81.jpg
Going away Kyla?
Kyla82.jpg
That's what you call a tongue!
Kyla83.jpeg
Bedtime
Kyla's Thread

Best Picture of this week: Rosie by Rummibailey
Rosiecows3.jpg
Rosie nose to nose
Smiley's thread

Our Cats of the Week...least you forget! Boo
Boo.jpg

Boo's thread

Homings 10: Jake Jacob TR 4 Oliver SR 4 Rocky (Frazer) RR 8 Rocky RR 8 Martha RR 9 Bruno SR 10 Daisy RR 10 Leylah (Delilah) RR 10 Lenny RR 10 Teddy TR 10
Gone Reserved This week 2: Billy RR Babs SR

Intake 7 New : Buzz TR 5 Lassie RR 5 Bella RR 5 Babs SR 5 Milo TR 8 Dylan SR 9 Diesel SR 10
Returns 3:
Alfie TR & Twist TR 8 Harrison SR 9

Into Permanent Foster : Milo TR Lois TR
Return from Foster : Flora SR Nessa RR
Into Temp Foster ( more than 1 night) : Nessa RR Lois TR Daisy SR Meera SR Rusty RR Heidi SR Honey SR
Weekend Overnight Foster : Churchill RR Milo TR TimmyTim RR
Post-spay Post op care :

Comment: Last year we saw a rise in returns which led us to search for answers, only to find actually our returns were way under average. On receiving news of a possible return it used to feel literally like a stab in the heart and stomach: a huge knot of emotional sorrow. You learn to protect yourself from such a heavy emotional blow. You learn to focus on the positives and enter the joy of meeting our beloved again and the satisfaction our safety net, their life ring and the Rescue's umbilical cord remained in tact. In Rescue you don't stand in judgement over people, what you do learn is exactly how to introduce realism into conversations which sounds very 'blunt' but free the conversation into discussing the true factors involved in the possible homing which we call 'deal breakers'. Apart from the obvious Homing Questionnaires seeking very young, well trained pedigree puppy 'for Rescue!' most people do come forwards to Rescue with genuine intentions. The truth is, in dog ownership you have to have total commitment with your dependent. Your dog is ever present in your choice of: Partner; to have and timing of children; job; home; holiday; new hobby; and any assistance offered to family or friends . Your dog maybe be a limiting factor, such is the commitment made to take in a dependent who has designs on your heart, hearth and all time allocations. To visit a friend demands you do an inspection of their garden before bringing your dog in. Planning a holiday involves an intense discussion of facilities and the actual plan of the accommodation and neighbours. Helping a neighbour on a regular basis can affect the routine you offer your dog. Last week was a week of intense conversations with people explaining their reasons for return of our dogs. Having had about 12 painful conversations this week I feel very depleted. Whether I believed those reasons were genuine enough to justify return of a dog who had achieve a pledge and bonded commitment was not for me to comment. Could these be worked with and a different outcome achieved if they had 'stayed the course' or simply to level down their expectations placed on a incoming Rescue dog or managed their escalations of fear within the realism of dog behaviours and ability to adapt..is really an aside. Had we allowed them to take on more than they could manage...ultimately we take responsibility for all returns. A family is only as strong, safe or accommodating as their less enthused member. The reasons for return meet with the family's agreed level of capability. We welcome our dogs back and in most cases they have had a earned break from kennels; we have saved a dog and utilised their kennel space in the interim. Yes, they may have lost their foster place; they may come back with heavy labels which are difficult for us to unpick; they may come back depressed. In their mind they have been abandoned yet again with all the emotions stir from when they first arrived in Rescue... BUT IN TRUTH fortunately dogs do not think like humans. They live day to day and in truth a lot of life washes off them and they live far more in the moment than ever we do. Humans can not ascribe human reasoning and emotions on to the canine species in the same way we do not understand the complexities of information received in smelling urine. At the end of the day our dog and their surrendering family do understand we are their rock. They may however have to bear with us we maybe in shock as another homing shatters into a return and we find a place on our waiting list.We know the family have done their best they can under the circumstance. They need not have no idea of the intense pressure we are under to save lives, and the back breaking pressure taking our dog in from the comfort of their home has on ourselves. Sadly to take back our dog when we had had no recent information suggesting the home was breaking down or be asked to believe an implausible story to justify return is our problem not theirs: Being there for our dogs we are and our love affair with each one continues

Our Stats 2016: 101 dogs

Return to “Rescue Remedies Diary”