Rescue Remedies Diary December 2016 - March 2017

A behind the scenes look at our work

Postby xxlynne » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Comments: Least we forget

Come Sunday evenings I sometimes just don't have it in me to write comments as with last Sunday. Thought I'd write few words tonight when I do have it in me. Today had been a gifted day at home as Stuart has done both the vet trips. A day at home is a chance to do Rescue Housekeeping tidying our Rescue cupboards virtual and literal. A day at home is doing post homings admin.; follow through on loose ends; respond to landline calls. Ordering to identified needs. Time with our dogs. Long hours on the computer. Today was dog mobile clean up and sort God that little van gets put through it. Repair of broken equipment. House cleaning. It is lovely not to be driving and sitting. Lovely to have chats on the phone.
Edie (5).jpg
Edie on arrival

A dog rescuer becomes a very doggie person. Cynical in truth, burdened with continuous pressure of hearing about dogs in need; kennelled & foster dogs who have this or that needing attention, understanding and caring.
Queenie2.JPG
Queenie on arrival

The dreamscape of enquirers who fail to see the actual dogs in need only gazing through and beyond the dogs pictures staring out at them from our website ..?do you have any Airedales. ?Do you have any French Bull dogs. I'm looking for my dream dog can you help me, put aside your dogs and can you get on my case so I can find the young, pedigree, housetrained, calm dog, can be left during the day and sleeps in the kitchen at night, not allowed on the furniture..perhaps I'll dream of doing agility with "it" ... perhaps! Sorry we only have real dogs with impoverished backgrounds; We only have real dogs who need you and have their own dreams, as they sleep in their winter kennels. They sleep in the warmth of our volunteers cares and memory of their cuddles.The rescue minded people who open our door are there to see who needs their help, who we feel will match their lifestyle, and open to embrace. Their concern from the outset is our dogs in need.
timmytim.jpg
TimmyTim 3 months since found, just before he came to us

Today I read up on the background of our new dog Benson and I emailed his Rescuer who has just passed him to us...Really you take a puppy in, a Labrador x Staffie and you vaccinate...good job! You call him Tyson...his first rescue changed his name to Benson... Thank you. You set your small garden shed up with a wooden pallet and for comfort you lay a square of old carpet: Job done. You and you children visit your dog in the garden and close them out of your lives as you focus on you daily inhouse lives. 'That dog' exists in its shed and you feed him 2 bowls of wet canned food a day as its 'highlight'. Oh and how is he with dogs? Never met. Tell us about him 'He is scared of fireworks!' Birthday? Never noted it.

We have at least 5 dogs we believe haven't lived in houses before Graham; Big Bruce; Scamp; Hooch; Effy and now Benson. We have Steve who was restricted to a large crate with a Rottie pup he grew up with 10-12 hours a day whilst their owners were out the house..no garden just a visit on the lead outside in the morning and on return from work, & last thing at night. Steve was rescued from that crate as a 2 year old dog just after his Rottie friend had been given away. Dylan, Blossom & Rowan lived with druggies. I look through our list of current dogs and I know at least 60% have had damaging neglectful lives: The likes of Arthur who has comes a long way to leave it behind as has TimmyTim, who has taken years and years to step away from it; Hector, Izzy, Barni, Buster & Marley carry their sad backgrounds still. Ruby severe domestic violence involving guns; Sheldon living in heaps of his own excreta for at least 2 years with many days left with no human contact or food. Queenie & Olive dumped after litter upon litter: Sherry, Aaron, Heidi stray as elderly dogs. Lily, Jordon, Frankie arrived into kennels as puppies and carry the fear or Lily extreme neediness, as they try to enter life from that kennel impoverished background...hard from them to let go and believe in themselves... Edie left behind by her owner, she was skeletal on arrival. Trixie was stray for at least 4 days before caught and still carries her fears today...the majority of our other dogs were 'dumped' to face their luck in the 7 day system at the mercy of council pounds where their life was endangered on the 8th day.

So the Rescuers song...
The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

Blossom 2.jpg
Blossom in her original home

Our language is loving kindness.

Tedds3.jpg
Tedds in the pound

Our key words are honesty; realism; commitment; security/ safety and stability.

We all know these dog as they are today and as we celebrate them
Tedds19.JPG
Tedds
Edie30.JPG
Edie
Queenie91.JPG
Queenie in foster
TimmtTim82.jpg
TimmyTim
Blossom35.JPG
Blossom Blossomed

We are a fabulous band of Rescuers ... a merry band. Our reputation is often echoed back because of our caring, because we adore our dogs and because we work with them and heal them and commit to supporting them.
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary December 2016 - February 2017

Postby xxlynne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 12.02.17

A few special pictures of our big girls
edie52.jpg
Edie American Bulldog
TokoTala1.JPG
Tala Akita x
Missie08.JPG
Missie Staffador
Smiley04.jpg
Smiley ?Yellow Staffador
Tansy26.JPG
Tansy Presa canario x
Annie89.jpg
Annie Dogue de Bordeaux x
Olive30.JPG
Olive Rottie x Mastiff

Homings 6: Skip (Trixie) TR 6 Daisy (Hunny) RR 2 Jock TR 11 Sherry SR 12 Rosemerry SR 12 Heidi SR 12
Gone Reserved: Daisy RR

Homing picture of the week!
Rosemerry784.jpg
Rosemerry with Rachel, Freya & Roger

Video of the Week Daisy (Hunny) with Max her new visiting friend

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fostering
Into Permanent this week:
Temporary Foster:
Short Week: Vinnie RR Rosemerry SR
Overnight: Milly & Molly RR Jordon RR TimmyTim RR Trixie RR Arthur TR
Return from Foster:

Intake 6 New: 6 Buddie SR 6 Benson RR 7 Trevor SR 10 Digby RR 10 Milly RR 10 Molly RR 10

Comments: Sometimes a week can feel like a series of emotional shocks.. Fortunately all pushed into the background when we end the week celebrating such wonderful dogs finally make it home...this week was started homing Skip (Trixie) in with Val & Norman, a week on reeling from their loss of their terrierrescue chum Sam. Then hearing Daisy (Hunny) had thrived on living with very young children. Then Jock finding his mum & dad with 2 cats and yes he can unpack his little suitase into his retirement home. Then Sherry finding her retirement home in celebratory circumstances. And Rosemerry at last in with a great family having proved herself time and time again. BUT then one of our devoted volunteer families adopting Heidi, again still reeling from losing their beloved Ellie. Our Rescue work is blessed with magic moments like these.

We feel the frost and snow in the air and our kennelled dogs are wrapped up in their warm coats waiting for their families. Pray the coming week brings joy to some of our longstay dogs who have nearly made it thru another winter but so deserved need to find their families to care for them. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:

The most important words... Thank you

Our Stats 2016: 104 dogs
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Thought today I'd do a diary day with snippets of news which have kept me smiling all day. Celebrate Spring.. spring is in the air...so hopefully those cold kennel days are moving past us now

Barni Had his first walk with us yesterday...with Anna one of the kennel staff and today Anna handed Barni on to Charlie and Barni ended up on Charlie's lap.. our boy is coming around
Barni
Barni78.JPG
Barni

Shade We had stepped forwards for Shade who was on deathrow having been placed in a difficult position. His fosteres had a party and he in the midst bit someone (Alcohol/ dim lights and loud noise perfect recipe of disasters). On the 2nd court hearing he has been allowed to stay a live and is going into a family home and being adopted on Monday. Our offer served him well to buy time and allow a really wonderful outcome. We have offered the place we had reserved for him to Lucky who comes into our care on Thursday
Lucky
Lucky2.jpg
Lucky

Zayla & Duke have had a difficult 2 weeks being apart but today SarahK has reunited them and they are spending a pleasant weekend together and their eyes St Valentines came a few days later but let the champagne flow k2727.gif Zayla & Duke
ZaylaDuke22.JPG
Zayla & Duke St Valentines

Pumba (Pedro) had his 2nd leg operated on today 2 and half years after Ian operated on his other knee. Ian remembered him well and it felt so lovely to have Pumba under Ian's care. Thank you Jade for spending time waiting for your special love.
Pumba
Pedrohomed.jpg
Pumba

Queenie meanwhile was treated by Jo our vet for a poorly leg and she has been found to have ligamental damage. Queenie is still going on holiday to wales with her fosterers and we will look into her needs on their return Queenie
Queenie3.JPG
Queenie

A day at home and agreed to 6 dogs ekk must be the sunshine
Max Pedigree Lakeland comes as emergency Tuesday; 5 from Wales Blue underweight AmBull (One blue eye) who is apparently a dreamboat; Archie a Derek look alike; Winnie a gentle Collie x and Lloyd another Shar pei friend who needs us
Homings are slow so we are holding back the tide as the sea comes in.

Ollie & Stan went up under coming soon today and they come into Guildford on Wednesday but then are picked up for neutering on Thursday
Stanollie.jpg
Stan & Ollie

Ollie & Stan

Elsa Lurcher owners have decided they can't give her up and we have taken her down and made her 'Homed' again
Elsa (3).JPG
Elsa

Lily was seized by the police a month ago. It was a really weird thing..a man came towards her completely off of his pathway and seemed to be carrying something or doing something..she was on the end of an extender lead and she jumped up. Immediately the man said I want your insurance details your dog just bitten me. Robert her owner said ?How but did give his details. Next thing he knows the police are there and seize her for injury. He refused to sign anything, so preventing them putting to sleep. The photos then revealed were not consistent with the episode. Robert thought it was suspicious and believes it was a rue to get compensation. Beware. Today we heard Lily will be returned to Robert early next week. Not sure whatelse will transpire.
Lily67.jpg
Lily

Marie & Lee are applying to be friends of Hertfordshire Pets at home again That came into my intray today and they raise a lot of money for us each year and promote Staffierescue in particularly. Well done :thanks.gif:

Zach Pattie had a lump on his toe...that has all come back benign and celebrations all around
Zach5b.jpg
Zach

Tedds is so stressed in kennels but here he is today out with Yves having had a beautiful day out walking and meeting people.
Tedds61.JPG
Tedds

Tedds

Hank too is enjoying his weekend out wey hey with Sophie & Alison
Hank82.JPG
Hank

Hank

Our Rescue Remedies Website is being upgraded and beginning to take shape our thanks to Alison and Stuart

http://www.rescueremedies.co.uk

Oh and yes the time has come to announce Lorenzo and I are buying Gatwick Kennels. We are currently reading the contract and we have loaned money & raised an independent mortgage to be able to purchase independent of our home, as the housing market is extremely flat. We are hoping to take on the kennels in April. We have a great deal of work to do with initially very little money to spend until our house is sold...but we will have secured the kennels to serve the Rescue's future dogs. Its a necessary move as many of the boarding kennels are coming under new regulations which means many will not transition, with pet sitting services having reduced the need: Many will sell out to the residential market as Godstone did. It is impossible to get planning permission these days for kennels due to the noise pollution. We have to separate our personal ownership with the Rescue's needs as I know several people who set up a Rescue centre & charity and lost their home when new members of the board differed with the founding person and the premises were no longer theirs but the charities. So in that way I have to safe guard my future...but the kennels will serve many of our current and future Rescue dogs if the directors believe it truly serves the objects of our Rescue. I also have to get out of the car and be closer to our dogs & vets. So I will keep you posted but today it began to feel a real option and so a new era beckons.
welcomehome.gif
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 19.02.17

Arthur09.JPG
Arthur Happy
Effy29.JPG
Effy Happy
Sidney12.jpg
Sidney Happy
Hugo30.JPG
Hugo Happy
Clover (6).jpg
Clover Happy
BrucePoppy3.JPG
Bruce & Poppy Happy

Homings 1: Harvey TR 18
Gone Reserved: Nancy SR

Harvey1.jpg
Harvey with Sarah & Rebecca (& Michael)

Fostering
Into Permanent this week:
Temporary Foster:
Short Week: Jake TR Tedds SR Arthur TR Duke & Zayla RR TimmyTim RR Trixie RR Hank RR Basil TR Maisie SR
Overnight: Jordon RR Skye AmB
Return from Foster: Rosemerry SR Keita RR

Intake New: 0

Comments: Hard week holding back 17 urgent dogs as we are still working through 'half term' restrictions on kennel use and just 2 kennels gained this week by homing Harvey, and Jake into temp foster; This allowed Keita & Rosemerry to return. Next week Monday Guildford: Max PatterJack returns and Jethro is having a week foster out. BUT we have to take Max Lakie comes Tuesday ?Chessington; Ollie & Stan come in Wednesday Guildford; Lucky Thursday ?where!; Mitch Staffie comes in ?where, & Kyla in for weekend Friday...and we really need to take others too HELP!

So many knocking on our door and we can't help if we aren't homing we can't take.

Really appreciate our fosterers who stand beside our dogs in way whatever they and their family can... the list too long to mention but we give our hearts to you

Our Stats 2016: 104 dogs
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 am

Weekly Summary Week ending 26.02.17

Well wishers of the week:
Linda: Our poet! Barley.....he looks fit and trim, his life would be complete with his own special home....2017 bring it on!
Barley92.JPG
Barley

Heleny: I can't tell you Chrissy how much I enjoy looking at photos of Buttons and hearing about his adventures in his daily life. The change in that little dog is amazing. He used to be such an unhappy chap, shaking in the kennels and so out of sorts - no fault of the kennel girls who worked tirelessly to make him happier - but because of his nature. Now there he is - happy, smiling, shiny coat, button eyes and nose and I just love it. I know he can't stay with you forever because Lord Buttons does not like cats too much and Treacle is your lovely cat - but until he finds his forever home it is heart warming to know that that special little chap is so well looked after and happy. Thank you.
Buttons56.jpg
Buttons

Anne: Ziggy loves his walks. He is always full of such joy and enthusiasm. The first half of our walk was full steam ahead for Ziggy, he was so pleased to be out and burn off some of his energy. He is responsive but when he knew the paths I felt sure Ziggy was walking me rather than the other way around! :D He then slowed down and took more time to sniff and appreciate his surroundings. Spending time with Ziggy is a full on 'pick me up' and guaranteed to make me share in his happiness and joy at life.
Ziggy78.jpg
Ziggy

Judy: I had a wind swept walk with Barni this afternoon, we went out with Tedds and walker Chrissy. Barni was a lot less nervous when putting his leads on, a few sausage treats went down well and we were soon off. We went out with Tedds and his walker Chrissy, after Barni's initial bark at Tedds, being little he just needed to establish himself, he walked without any further barking. Whilst out Barni started to limp as he got a thorn stuck in his back paw, he was just so good whilst I got him to stand still and pulled the thorn out. He didn't mind his paws being touched at all and was very patient. Barni so deserves a loving home that he can call his own, he will make such a great companion.
Barni47.JPG
Barni

MillieMoo: Biscuit loves watching the secret life of dogs love4.gif

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Homings 12: Daisy RR 21 Nancy SR 21 Tedds SR 24 Foxy Jake TR 24 Rusty RR 25 Maya RR 25 Milly & Molly RR 25 Tala & Toko RR 25 Harvey TR 26 Steve RR 26
Gone Reserved: Mungo SR Mars TR

Mayahomed.jpg
My Lady Maya saved by Dan & Alix
Love the colour co-ordination

Fostering
Into Permanent this week: Mungo SR
Temporary Foster: Jethro RR
Short Week: Arthur TR Jordon RR Barley TR Mitch SR Trixie RR
Overnight: TimmyTim RR Basil TR
Return from Foster: Kyla SR (Short term)

Intake 6 New 5: Harvey TR 20 Ollie & Stan RR 22 Larkin RR 23 Mitch SR 24
Returns 1: Codi SR 25

Comments: Now we are all happy waving so many of our friends off into their brand new dependable lives. We never know whose time will come next ..people think we chose who is homed next this couldn't be further from the truth; its all down to magic and destiny.

Its the combination of circumstance+ mixed in with life opportunities and a few drops of the essence of realistic expectations...a swirl of luck, 2 or 6 blends of chemistry in the meeting and lots of determination by a committed and devoted family. This should be baked for at least 1 month before you begin to distill the outcome. Matured over time, the depth of infusion pleases all and adaption and achievements astound!

For the Rescuers its Compassion blended with Passion...identification and empathy. Astuteness to key factors revealing the positive qualities, beauty and allowances for the neglect and lack of confidence carried within each canine friend in need.

Another myth that is always a talking point for people standing on the edge of Rescue as observers...Well you have to make difficult decisions by 'sacrificing' a long stay dog, you will be justified in then being able to help many. I can truly say this kind of thinking whilst heard and witnessed is never part of my mindset at all...in fact I steer far far away from its shadow. The honest and open belief is the openness to help and when we step forwards for a dog it is with the commitment to serve and meet their needs. Life has let them down, they have as much right to their life on earth as each one of us. They are a dependent species and we as the dominant species have to provide for and care...having in one shape or another brought them into this world. IF we have to play God we will try everything in our power to truly evaluate their need and only where their health systems are failing to deliver an acceptable quality of life or where mentally they had achieved significant damage through birth, defective learning, cruelty or extreme neglect to an irreversible way...and if you know anything about our Rescue our volunteers work as a healing team to nurture and 'cure'. We are there to standby our friends, to metaphorically and physically walk with them on their journey and provide the best we can. They are not a number to us, they are close relatives who we are invested in.

Shadow49.jpg
Shadow needs his family

Our Stats 2016: 98 dogs
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Rescue Remedies Diary of the Month for February 2017

Our Dogs of the Month for March 17 Each one really deserves that special chance

Rescue Remedies
Annie4.JPG
Annie
Annie RR's thread

StaffieRescue
Bigbruce38.JPG
Big Bruce
Big Bruce's Thread

AmBulldogRescue
Skye24.JPG
Skye
Skye's Thread

Terrierrescue
Scamp66.JPG
Scamp
Scamp's Thread

PatterdaleTerrierrescue
Basil56.jpg
Basil
Basil's Thread

February 16
Intake/ Dogs saved 18 : 15 + 3 Returns
Terrierrescue 2: 2 Skip Trixie TR 3 Harvey TR 20

Rescueremedies 8: 8 Benson RR 7 Milly RR 10 Molly RR 10 Digby RR 10 Ollie RR 22 Stan RR 22 Larkin RR 23 Marcus RR 27

Staffierescue 8: 5 Buddie SR 6 Trevor SR 10 Mitch SR 24 Maizie SR 27 Chey SR 27
Returns 3: Elsa SR 1 Rosemerry SR 19 Codi SR 25

Dogs homed: 22
Terrierrescue 6: Harry Derek TR 3 Skip Trixie TR 6 Jock TR 11 Harvey PTR 18 Foxy Jake TR 24 Harvey TR 26

Rescueremedies 10: Pablo RR 4 Daisy (Hunny) RR 9 Daisy RR 21 Rusty RR 25 Maya RR 25 Milly RR 25 Molly RR 25 Tala RR 25 Toko RR 25 Steve RR 26

Staffierescue 6: Sophie Precious SR 5 Roxy SR 5 Sherry SR 12 Heidi SR 12 Nancy SR 21 Tedds SR 24

Celebrating our HOMED Longstay Dogs in February:

Longer than 6 months
Steve RR entry 8.16
Steve8.JPG
Steve
Steve

Longer than a year
Nancy SR 16 entry 5.15
Nancy (10).jpg
Nancy nearly 2 years in Rescue

Nancy

Pablo SR entry 2.15
Pablo (21).jpg
Pablo

Pablo

Rusty RR entry 7.14
Rusty40.jpg
Rusty 2 and half years in Rescue

Rusty

Longstay statistics 33 still waiting over a year

Dogs Monthly

101 on our books Dogs Weekly our Rescue's Stats updated everyday
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary December 2016 - March 2017

Postby xxlynne » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 am

Weekly Summary Week ending 05.03.17

Some of our G-Oldies in kennels at the moment to worry about
Aaron40.JPG
Aaron
Maisie09.jpg
Maisie
Gwilym84.jpg
Gwilym (Pronounced Willum)
Vinnie52.jpg
Vinnie

Homings 3: Hugo RR 1 Elsa SR 4 Clover SR 5
Gone Reserved: Mitch SR

Cloverhoming2.jpg
Clover with Clare

Fostering
Into Permanent this week: Chey SR
On holiday: Ziggy RR
Temporary Foster: Mitch SR Marcus SR
Short Week: Arthur TR Gwilym RR TimmyTim RR
Overnight: Maisie SR Jordon RR Betzy SR
Return from Foster: Fredds TR

Intake 12 New 12: Maizie SR 27 Marcus RR 27 Chey SR 27 Alfredo RR 1 Blue AmBull 3 Lloyd RR 3 Winnie RR 3 Bronx SR 3 Cedric SR 4 Betty RR 4 Stella SR 5 Briony SR 5
Returns 0:

Comments: Our websites have been upgraded so that they are now user friendly for smart phones, etc. Special thanks to Webguru /Secret Squirrel who has done this despite her being ill and awaiting an operation. Stuart, Fran & Johan in particular have helped to keep the show on the road.

Realism: People can always accuse us for having our feet on the ground and entrenched in pragmatic longterm 5 years ahead vision where people are counselled to confront their dreams and actually see their expectations with stark realism. This is social work but the legal system doesnt back the under dog. We explore what they are really prepared to accept and where we and they have been helped to identify 'the weakest links'. We have spend a lot of time with families this week which actually resulted in non homings. Very intense involvements and sadly a little soreness occurs as ultimately they or we pull out. People have very few dogs in their lives. If they have had many single dogs then either they are stepping forwards for the oldies; had bad luck or not seeing dogs through with the family. We on the other hand have been involved with thousands of dogs and their homings. Our instincts are very honed. Dianna and I (The Homing Team) as a result are cynics. This is why so many Rescuers walk away from Rescue, they burn out...they simply can't hack it anymore. We have heard it all; seen it all and seen as easy targets to dump dogs on and blame when they have failed to give a dog time. The very families who say I could home them all, are usually the families who most fail to commit. The families who say I'd never give up on a dog ...have us waiting with bated breath...oh we wish we could believe.

So many emergencies occur the morning or the night before a dog is due to be met: remembering a few.. My son had to go to hospital this morning sorry we are unable to make it: We had a death in the family last night we are going to have to put getting a dog on hold. My boss has called me into work as an emergency. I forgot we had a holiday booked. My husband has come home and told me he has booked a surprise weekend away (sabotage on his part!). I will be in touch once I am available again. My terminally ill father is having to be brought to my home as my mother wont have him in the house. My son bought me a dog in yesterday sorry for not letting you know. My daughter split up with her partner and moved in last night with her dog. My husband has just been offered a promotion, we think we will have to move so aren't able to home a dog now. My dog was seriously ill last night so we are taking him to the vet this morning. Oh and then there are the non contactables 1 day before homing.

As you know very often the homings that take the most time are usually the ones which ultimately let our dogs down. I never forget a homing about 5 years ago it was January and freezing temperatures and we had a lovely collie cross. Enter a "good" family who were insistent they wanted to meet then have nearly a week to prepare! To prepare for a dog you need a single duvet folded in 4; 2 cereal bowls and a 15 minute trip to a pet shop for food and shampoo! Our dogs come with collar & a lead and harness. Well in good faith this was a good home, though our intuition had all alarm bells ringing, we agreed for them to meet. Apparently the meeting went well Thursday and they agreed despite snowy conditions with the dog being left for 5 days in a kennel whilst they prepare for the perfect conditions, they had a meal date on the Monday and didn't want to leave him(!!!) but were leaving him 5 days in a kennel was fine... They collected and he had 2 housetraining accidents in 3 days and he was bought back: (Yes you got it back into a winter kennel). Utterly heartless was my conclusion, dead below the neck. On a sweet note Tala & Toko's owners arrived last Saturday morning. Sion was sporting a bruised eye. He immediately said excuse my eye I was clearing some brambles in the garden early this morning in preparations for the dogs when I hit myself in the eye. I had to go to A&E and fortunately they said I was very lucky and sent me home. I thought I was going to have to call you and cancel. I laughed "to tell you the truth Dianna and I would have told you to get well and probably wouldn't have believed you, it would have just gone in our excuse book!"

I had an half hour conversation this week with a lady who called as she wanted to rehome her staffie x urgently. He isn't good with dogs and has just attacked the next door neighbours dog. Second time; this time we have to pay the vet bill. Gradually the story emerged far from the initial story. At the end of the conversation I had teased out: Dogs living next door the other side of a wood panel fence, who were barky winded up merchants and they had been going at the fence, as had their dog. They had repaired 3 holes in the past. The dog had free access to the garden via a dog flap and when they all were at the fence NO ONE WAS HOME. So a young girl next door, had to intervene as they got at each other through the fence. "I can no longer trust him with my grandchildren". "I've thought long and hard about this". That is where we have to explain the situation as we see it, not simply people please. 'You may have thought long and hard about this, but you haven't thought it through and accepted any responsibility yourself. This is not your dog's fault. You have already repaired the fence 3 times and yet you leave your dog free reign in the garden, wound up by a pack of dogs at his fence. You have had your dog 3 years; you must have feelings for him. You don't 'get rid of your child because he has a fight with a boy next door. He is trusted around your grandchildren. He didn't attack anyone, he just got caught up in an unwinding situation which had he been properly supervised would not have occurred. It was a totally predictable situation that had happened before and you enabled it to happen again. You need to ideally replace your back door to avoid him attempting to break through the dog flap when you are out and he is bored. You need to make sure you and your neighbours talk this through and agree a routine where you are aware when both sets of dogs can enjoy their garden without interference. Please don't blame your dog. He should NOT lose his home and family over this. This is your wake up call. Many many dogs placed in this situation would have reacted the same. 95% of people would never leave their dogs unattended with flap access to their garden. What would you do if you came home to find your garden empty? Or reports your dog is out there howling and barking.

Dog Rescuers are blunt; We don't set off that way but your role has to be clear and you have to speak up for the dog. OR "poor you (victim) I wonder why he suddenly turned like that, he is clearly dangerous...I can't see any Rescue being able to rehome him". We have very little romance in our lives. We often feel like we are living in a war zone. We are direct, to the point and have to get to the nitty gritty. You have to be courageous and know how to sum up the conversation so the person appreciated you arent actually judging them just helping them to see it from the dog's point of view or alert to their needs. The easier path is to placate, appease and allow people to dump all responsibly and blame 'the dog'. Most people really appreciate us helping them to see what dog ownership is about ...RESPONSIBILITY. Only then do you learn about dog's behaviours and needs. Dogs don't think like humans & certainly don't process thoughts like adults.

An Opps week...3 dogs homed VS 1 dog returned from foster: 12 in...SAFE and already much loved.

Our Stats 2016: 106 dogs
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 12.03.17

Special Pictures Special Dogs
Harrison07.JPG
Harrison Ford by Faith

Maisie98.JPG
Amaising Maisie by Jeng

Scamp61.jpg
Scamp the caring by Tim

Leo91.JPG
Leo our Scottish lion by 'mum'

Milo2.jpg
Milo Brando by Pits

Winnie009.JPG
Winnie the winner by SarahK

Homings 6: Mitch SR 6 Digby RR 8 Leonie SR 10 Tessa & Lexi SR 10 Bronx SR 12

DigbyTommy2.jpg
Digby became Tommy's sighted companion

Digby's new life

Sadly we lost Stella this week
Stella6.jpg
Stella 2005- 2017

Stella's thread

Sadly many of our friends have passed recently as news comes to us with such sadness on Rainbow Bridge. All passed cherished

Fostering
Into Permanent this week: Marcus SR
Temporary Foster: Fudge SR
Short Week: Arthur TR Gwilym RR Hank RR
Overnight: Jordon RR TimmyTim RR Lester TR Buddie SR
Return from Foster: Roxy SR

Intake 4: New 3: Oscar TR 6 PipSqueak TR 8 Fudge SR 9
Returns 1: Hetty SR 11

Comments: Sunday evenings is the time when we take stock and are always delighted to see who of our many friends are sofa surfing this very evening. We wish forever sofa's for all our dogs, even if its a day in a home to remind them they have a future or as pegmilly gave Ziggy, after a nearly a year in Rescue, a holiday by the seaside.

Ziggy23.JPG
Ziggy ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Ziggy on Holiday

Our Rescue is full of volunteers who are full of cheer, worrying about our friends and spending an extra 40 minutes to take an extra dog out to smell fresh air and rest their ears beyond the kennels: And behind are the treasure troves of the Rescue, the fosterers who stand by their dogs for as long at it takes giving our dogs the feel they have the security and love in which to grow. Then ready to hand over their treasured friend to their family so they can help and become that security blanket for another in need.

We need more fundraisers we are a Rescue very much focused on our dogs than on the bank this is what makes our Rescue very special. So if you can run a fundraiser for us we would really appreciate this so the kennel bills become less of a worry in supporting our many canine friends.

Our Stats 2017: 104 dogs
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary December 2016 - February 2017

Postby xxlynne » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 19.03.17

Our Longstay close friends who waited over a year in Rescue before they even came to us
Charlie99.JPG
Charlie AmBull
ZaylaDuke41.JPG
Zayla & Duke
Annie4.JPG
Annie
Shadow76.jpg
Shadow
Maisie155.jpg
Maisie
BigBruce3 (1).jpg
BigBruce
Tansy86.JPG
Tansy

Homings 9: Molly (Winnie) RR 15 Izzy TR 15 Maizie SR 17 Buddie SR 17 Bertie SR 18 Trevor SR 18 Kula Lizzie RR 18 Larkin RR 19 Scamp TR 19

Gone Reserved: Sebby RR & Blue RR

Trevorhomed2.jpg

Trevor's Thread

Fostering
Into Permanent this week: Gwilym RR Rosemerry SR
Temporary Foster: Fudge SR Budds SR
Short Week: Barley TR Arthur TR TimmyTim RR
Overnight: Jordon RR Hector SR Lester TR Skye RR
Return from Foster:

Intake 9: New 9: Lucky SR 14 Lola SR 15 Lizzie RR 15 Jack TR 18 Flint TR 19 George TR 19 Polly TR 19 Chance SR 19 Spice RR 19

Comments: It felt a 999 week 9 in ... 9 out and 9 onto our waiting list. Working in hospitals most of my life I am used to the spinning wheel which serves well, but never concludes its business. A busy hive of bussyness. :goodjob.gif: A joyous week when we're seeing brilliant families stepping forwards for our dogs. We haven't had the frustrating potential homings which fizzle into thin air so Dianna's energy has been used to full effect, productively and she personally can sit back and take credit for the achievements of the week as in fact we all can. Our Rescue is a well oiled machine which runs smoothly, in harmony and serves our dogs very well.

Things are moving closer to my personal purchase of Gatwick Kennels we are about to exchange contracts and should be all settled before May. Its going to be a mad summer of taking stock and getting accustomed to being on site of one of our 4 volunteer clusters. It will be a quantum leap as it forces me out of the car and we will be seeking people who are able to do spontaneous transport runs to make it all happen for our dogs: This I will no longer be able to do. I am beyond exhausted so really need a change of lifestyle and to take stock, to improve our lot for our dogs providing them with stability

AND any offers for Easter Foster places ...we're planning so let us know

Our Stats 2017: 104 dogs
xxlynne

Postby xxlynne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Weekly Summary Week ending 26.03.17

The beauty of our dogs & their relationships with our walkers:
JacquiC's study of Marley
Marley83.jpg
Marley82.jpg
Marley101.jpg
Marley87.jpg

SarahK's study of Fredds
Fredds94.JPG
Fredds96.JPG
Fredds97.JPG
Fredds98.JPG

Johan/ Pip's study of Spice
Spice5.jpg
Spice33.jpg
Spice7.jpg
Spice6.jpg
Spice14.jpg
Spice12.jpg

Homings 7: Blue AmB 21 Sebby RR 21 Chey SR 21 Ava TR 25 Huey SR 26 Sandy SR 26 Toffee TR 26

Trial Adoption: Lloyd RR

Avahomed42.JPG
Ava Maria
Ava's Thread

Fostering
Into Permanent this week: Budds SR Izzy TR Mungo SR
Temporary Foster:
Short Week: Barley TR Arthur TR TimmyTim RR Polly TR Hank RR Lola SR
Overnight: Jordon RR Hector SR Lester TR Skye RR
Return from Foster: Sheldon TR Fudge SR

Intake 1: New 1: Smithy SR 20

Comments: We have many Motto's in our Rescue One of them is If not me who... in other words the buck stops here we unpack the situation and learn and progress and achieve the right outcome. If I dont accept and offer the help, then I'm just asking someone else to provide this, and our dog bounces on and on.

We as a Rescue, our mission, is to save dogs lives and then rebuild them ready for their new lives. Our energy goes there! We offer a chain of care with our adopters, with them as the most vital part of the chain of care. Where Rescue is misunderstood, is when the retail or business model is applied. We are a charity. We invest in our dogs and our homers pick up from where we have brought our dogs to and take them further within their secure family unit. We are not M&S: Our dogs are homeless, with an impoverished background, they have no surety. They have been through an ordeal, are ill equip for achieving a well rounded life. We are there NOT to assess how short our dogs fall from "an ideal well rounded dog" and condemn them. Many rescues judge the dog and pass some condem most. They do it on entry and deny entry are accept then kill. No we are there to see and appreciate our dogs, admire, and offer what help our dogs need, to pick up with them to support them to develop confidence and trust. Confidence and trust is where it is all at. We work from within and we give time, befriend and our dogs emerge within the safety of our love. Surety is what we offer.

This week we had to get our Chessington dogs down to 8 + Benson. We have achieved it thanks to the continued support we receive from our friends who own the Guildford kennels. Intense pressure on our waiting list is there but truth is we do not have available kennels.

Our Stats 2017: 99 dogs
xxlynne

Re: Rescue Remedies Diary December 2016 - March 2017

Postby xxlynne » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Rescue Remedies Diary of the Month for March 2017

Our Dogs of the Month for April 17 Each one really deserves that special chance

Rescue Remedies
KiraFeb6.jpg
Kira
Kira RR's thread

StaffieRescue
SimonDixie37.JPG
Simon & Dixie
Simon & Dixie's Thread

AmBulldogRescue
Edie36.jpg
Edie
Edie's Thread

Terrierrescue
Jack94.jpg
Jack
Jack's Thread

PatterdaleTerrierrescue
Lester71.jpg
Lester
Lester's Thread

March 16
Intake/ Dogs saved 26 : 23 + 3 Returns
Terrierrescue 7: 6 Oscar TR 6 PipSqueak TR 8 Jack TR 18 Flint TR 19 George TR 19 Polly TR 19
Return 1: Izzy TR 25

Rescueremedies 8: 8 Alfredo RR 1 Lloyd RR 3 Winnie RR 3 Troy RR 4 Betty RR 4 Lizzie RR 15 Spice RR 19 Blue AmBull 3

Staffierescue 11: 9Bronx SR 3 Briony SR 5 Stella SR 5 Fudge SR 9 Lucky SR 14 Lola SR 15 Chance SR 19 Smithy SR 20 Lily SR 27
Return 2: Bertie SR 28 Sandy SR 29

March Dogs homed: 24
Terrierrescue 3: Izzy TR 15 Ava TR 25 Toffee TR 26

Rescueremedies 7: Hugo RR 1 Digby RR 8 Molly (Winnie) RR 15 Kula Lizzie RR 18 Moose Larkin RR 19 Sebby RR 21 Blue Amb 21

Staffierescue 14: Elsa SR 4 Clover SR 5 Mitch SR 6 Leonie SR 10 Tessa SR 10 Lexi SR 10 Bronx SR 12 Maizie SR 17 Buddie SR 17 Bertie SR 18 Trevor SR 18 Chey SR 21 Huey SR 26 Sandy SR 26

Celebrating our HOMED Longstay Dogs in March:

Longer than 6 months
Hugo30.JPG
Hugo
Hugo's Thread
Toffee41.jpg
Toffee
Toffee

Longer than 1 year
Clover (3).jpg
Clover

Clover's Thread